• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Deadlift frequency and volume

He played football in his youth which involves lots of metcon...

are you drunk, stoned or just messing with me?
Do you think his coach Gene Bell is telling people to go play football to bring up their deadlift?

Thats not what i was saying
Im saying that the majority of good deadlifters have a big gpp background and this is especially true with strongmen. At the end of the day they have the biggest pulls. I would never suggest an elite puller changes their training but for a novice to intermediate increasing the gpp base will increase the deadlift. I dont see it as strongman or powerlifting training but deadlift training

Im sorry that im confrontational everyone. When i have come to a conclusion it is because i have thought about it for some time. So when someone says something to the contrary then it will bug me as they know something that i dont... So ill try to find out what this is by debating it. This is why i get angry when trivial answers such as drugs or genetics are given because its illogical. I dont have an answer as to why strongman is better than powerlifting for the deadlift but at the end of the day the strongmen have the biggest pulls and it seems no one can give a real answer to why this is so the only variable is the events training

Im not going to discuss it further

Im sorry that im confrontational everyone. When i have come to a conclusion it is because i have thought about it for some time. So when someone says something to the contrary then it will bug me as they know something that i dont... So ill try to find out what this is by debating it. This is why i get angry when trivial answers such as drugs or genetics are given because its illogical. I dont have an answer as to why strongman is better than powerlifting for the deadlift but at the end of the day the strongmen have the biggest pulls and it seems no one can give a real answer to why this is so the only variable is the events training

which strongmen are better at deadlifts by the way?
better at car deadlifts, partial deadlifts with straps?

One thought. Better deadlifters are often taller and often shitter at the squat and bench.

So maybe the top pullers just gravitate to strongman because they are better at it than powerlifting.

Strongmen:

1. Are at a pro level - usually tall, long levered people (good pullers) so the majority of them are genetically pre-disposed to deadlifting but would probably not be great squatters or benchers (possibly a reason they chose strognman over PL?).
  2. Can hitch, use different bars, straps, suits, etc, which will cause many discrepencies in the numbers.
  3. At a pro-level use heroic amounts of steroids - so much so that I was told a story of an Aussie strongman who went over to the US to crack the pro-ranks but returned home when he decided that he didn't wish to use enough to keep up with the best. So you can't compare them to IPF pullers at all.
  4. Don't usually test their deadlifts after having done 3 massive squats as well.
  5. Etc, etc.

One thought. Better deadlifters are often taller and often shitter at the squat and bench.

So maybe the top pullers just gravitate to strongman because they are better at it than powerlifting.

I had thought this too but then came to the conclusion that people compete in what they enjoy. Many strongmen have totals that will be very competitive in pl. but youre right they are very tall often

which strongmen are better at deadlifts by the way?
better at car deadlifts, partial deadlifts with straps?

I was talking about regular deadlifts with an ordinary bar. Many of them have videos on youtube

I was talking about regular deadlifts with an ordinary bar. Many of them have videos on youtube

Savickas won the deadlift for reps comp at WSM2012. He is a great deadlifter. He was before he did strongman.

But he isn't the best around. As a powerlifter he was beating convincingly by Gillingham.

I don't think that shows how strongman training is better than PL training for deadlift.

Last edited:
Is this as bad as when Charlie Francis kept arguing with me over my opinion that (a huge) bench press was bullshit for sprinting and irrelevant.

His comeback was i would not know because i had not coached anyone under 9.8. Neverthless, I had a bit more support on the forum from others

Oni, however, is much more a fighter than i am. I simply gave up whereas Oni is like the character from the Monty Python movie searching for the 'Holy Grail' where he loses one arm, then another, then a leg and so on.

Last edited:
No, i am not saying that. I agree 100% with you on this one. Ben's last post summarises it well too.

Just saying Oni may keep going as long as he has a brain and words to represent his tongue, further than the MPython character.

You guys have been nicer to Oni than CF was to me.

Last edited:
Bars

How does an ABC power bar compare with an Elieko competition power bar in terms of bendiness?

How many kilos advantage would a bendy old Texas bar give in the deadlift?

I depends on a lot of things. A Texas deadlift bar bends a lot and it's thinner, but you'd get more advantage if you are quick off the floor as the whip can really help. How much is hard to say, but obviously the more weight on the bar the greater the bend the more the advantage. For me it felt like 10-20kg easier, but for some it's almost no difference- I have heard people claim upto 20-30 difference.