• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Deadlift frequency and volume

McKwl

Overloaded Member
Just wondering what you guys think is - or even better, have found to be - the best frequency and volume for deadlifts, and whether it's very different for novice lifters vs. intermediate vs. advanced. And if so, in what ways.

For example, I'm probably still a novice lifter, pulling around 170kg so far, though I might be capable of 180 - I'll see on Wednesday. ;) What might be best for me?

So many novice programs have low frequency *and* volume for this lift. And a lot of intermediate ones, it seems. I mean, as far as I've seen. That right? And is that optimal, do you think?

In my experience to finally get over a 200kg dead I had to squat more. Get your squat up and your dead follows.

Well, personally DL is my best lift and I'm probably somewhat good at it for a novice/intermediate, so here's my 2c.

Whenever I've tried to DL with any kind of frequency/volume/%, my overall results and training turns to shit, recovery and other lifts suffer too much.

So I focus on squatting (which I currently do 4-5 days a week and often twice a day with no problem), and do speed pulls once or so a week. It looks something like

3 x 60% , 65%, 70%
2 x 75%, 80%
1 x 85%

The idea is to never grind slow ugly reps or have technique breakdown, so recovery is fast and easy. Maybe once a month or few I will push to a new PB. Seems to be what works best for me so far.

The best deadlifters are in the sport of strongman. You can pretty much take ANYONE on this forum and there will be 30+ strongmen that do their max for 8 reps.

How do strongmen train? They do lots of reps, lots of touch and go, often squat high and shitloads of lower back conditioning from events training. Carrying 400kg yokes, loading stones and farmers walks.

Summarising from the Cube Method for Strongman:
>The squat drives up every event, no box squats
>Pull from every fucking angle possible. Deficits, box deadlifts, rack pulls, trap machine deadlift etc
>Conditioning work until you bleed out the ass from rhabdo

Cube method deadlift for strongman deadlift training cycle:

Week 1:
Deadlift:
Max Deadlift – 1-2 reps
45° Hypers – Bodyweight x 3 x 20
Shrugs – 3 x 15 (Barbell, Dumbbell, Farmer’s handles...)
Heavy Dumbbell Rows – 3 x 10 per arm
Rear Delts – 3 x 15 (face pulls, rear delt raises...)
Barbell Curls – 1 set with bar to failure (remember when people hated on me for doing these???)

Events:
Light Yoke – 40-50% of contest weight for speed for 4 runs for 60-80’
Light Farmer’s – 40-50% contest weight for speed for 4 runs for 60-80’
Light Stones – 5 stones in series for speed with lighter stones than would be in your contest. The weight should be at least 30% lighter than you are going to be using in your contest.
Stone load with 50% of your max stone for 3 x 5. You should focus on speed and the one motion technique to build explosiveness.

Week 2:
Deadlift:
Speed Deadlifts – 50% x 8 x 1with 30 seconds rest between lifts
& GHR – 3 x 8-10
& Barbell Rows – 3 x 8
& Pulldowns – 3 x 10
& Shrugs – 3 x 15 (Barbell, Dumbbells, Farmers,...)
& Rear Delts – 3 x 15 (face pulls, rear delt raises...)
& Barbell Curls – 1 set with bar to failure

Events:
Contest events or events of your choice. You should train these heavy, i.e. contest weight. For example, carrying medley, tire flip, truck pull, sled or implement drags.

Week 3:
Deadlift:
Repetition Deadlifts – 80% x 1 x 8-10
& 45° Hypers – 3 x 10 with weight
& Seated Rows – 3 x 10
Pull-ups – 3 sets x 8-10 (use a band for assistance if needed)
Shrugs – 3 x 15 (Barbell, Dumbbells, Farmers,...)
Rear Delts – 3 x 15 (face pulls, rear delt raises...)
Barbell Curls – 1 set with bar to failure

Events:
Heavy Yoke, Farmer’s and Stones at or heavier than contest weight. Two all out sets of yoke and Farmer’s, the distances are the same as week 1. Either a heavy stone over bar for 75 seconds or heavy stone series.

Week 4:
Deadlift:
45° Hypers – 3 x 20 with no weight
& Chest Supported Rows – 3 x 15
& Pulldowns – 3 x 15
& Shrugs – 2 x 40 (Barbell, Dumbbells, Farmers,...)
& Rear Delts – 3 x 15 (face pulls, rear delt raises...)
& Barbell Curls – 1 set with bar to failure

Events:
Contest events at 40-50% of contest weight. Or if you don’t know the events ahead of time you can do sled drag, Prowler, light sandbag carries.

Heavens forbid you look at who is the best at something and looking at what they did to get there right?

When I was starting out deadlifting lighter weights I easily did it 3 times a week with my squat sessions. When I got to around 160kgs 1RM I couldn't maintain it 3 times a week. Back to once a week and increased to 180kgs, now working on 200.

A non-roided intermediate level athlete would probably not make much progress if they deadlifted heavy more than once per 7 to 10 days.

Not always, the more I squat the less I dead.
You should easily be able to achieve a 200kg dead just by deadlifting heavy 1x a week imo.

I'm not gonna argue with you, I seem to remember reading you have a 300 dead, or something like that.

OP I suggest you listen to the 300kg deadlifters before listening to me.

I'm not gonna argue with you, I seem to remember reading you have a 300 dead, or something like that.

OP I suggest you listen to the 300kg deadlifters before listening to me.

Mate you're right in that a lot of people can increase their deadlift by increasing their squat. I was just pointing out that this isn't always the case. A lot of it depends on your squat & deadlift techniques imo.