• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Deadlift frequency and volume

So I got lost in all that, why are the top strongmen generally better deadlifters? Because they are tall?

Well most are powerlifters who had excellent deadlifts. Rather than strongman maketh thee man, powerlifting maketh thee strongman.

That's the most intelligent thing anyone has said in this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to find the best deadlifters in powerlifting and the best deadlifters in strongman and correlate height with max weight lifted and see what it comes up with. Correlation doesn't equal causation but it's hard to argue with a simpler answer. Powerlifting does make you a better strongman (better at every sport really...) but I don't think that in itself explains why powerlifters that went into strongman often have much larger deadlifts than powerlifters that stayed in powerlifting

Oh my life
Now I remember why I hate forums

Imagine how good Ed Coan would have been if he did strongman training.

Last edited:
I dunno, I said I wouldn't discuss it any more. A sample size of 1 lifter doesn't mean shit

Pretty sure Ed Coan lived off mostly lots of reps as well which was the other point I made about how strongmen train before the debate on events training took off...

Not really, tbh before this whole strongman shit kicked off this is what I wrote:

"How do strongmen train? They do lots of reps, lots of touch and go, often squat high and shitloads of lower back conditioning from events training. Carrying 400kg yokes, loading stones and farmers walks."

Reps, partial exericses and lower back conditioning. Then shit hit the fan because I used the fact strongmen are better deadlifters across the board than pretty much any deadlifter currently to justify it

You doth smoketh too much crack.

I chimed in when you said:

Yeah justify it with drugs....
Take a look at the arnold classic deadlift comp results and see how many are strongmen. Arnold classic is biggest dl comp and all the best deadlifters are invited. Strongmen are currently raping pls in the dl

I posted a link of the Arnold classic deadlift invitational- pointing out that Ian Bell, last years winner, was indeed a powerlifter and they pretty much all are.

Your reply:

Brad gillingham is on there though and attributes strongman to his deadlift.

To which I pointed out you have exaggerated things here for the benefit of your argument. Gillingham adds in strongman stuff to make things interesting. Who told me this? Him!

When I said that strongman is no better than powerlifting for developing the deadlift your responses have been that gpp is essential- and since strongmen have great gpp this is somehow the ingredient that PLs are missing out on. When I pointed out that PL templates can use gpp and that the best coaches in the world are not getting their PLers to do strongman training to develop their deadlift, but rather that strongmen draw on PL training as part of their strongman training- your replies? Well- that the PLers were doing something like strongman anyway. I pointed out that the best strongmen Dlers are infact powerlifters- Misha, Savickas, Benny etc- you response that its somehow the strongman side of the picture, rather than them doing what PLers do, along with the other stuff as part of their strongman routine.

Example-
me: the Russian powerlifters lead the way, but the likes of Sorokin, Fedosienko etc are not flipping tyres etc.
Oni: but they do goodmornings!

me:(smashes head on keyboard).

Last edited:
There is no point arguing with the little man Spritcha, he is like one of those little yapping dogs, will just keep going and going.

I thinks someones enthusiasm gets the better of them.

Is the "argument" whether PLs or Strongmen are better Deadlifters, or that training for one is better at producing a better Deadlift?

They test the Deadlift in PL. They don't directly test the Deadlift in Strongman events. Therefore PL training is more dedicated to producing a better Deadlift - right.

I thinks someones enthusiasm gets the better of them.

Is the "argument" whether PLs or Strongmen are better Deadlifters, or that training for one is better at producing a better Deadlift?

They test the Deadlift in PL. They don't directly test the Deadlift in Strongman events. Therefore PL training is more dedicated to producing a better Deadlift - right.

thats pretty much what I have been sayin.

Embrace the crack
I did exaggerate but i still think the whole format that strongmen train is an idealistic way to train for the deadlift irrespective of if you do an events day or good mornings, udl whatever

Surely we can both agree on dat der common ground