• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Deadlift frequency and volume

You see this is where i have the hard time man. Since then savikas has increased his deadlift far above gillinghams. Maybe its as simple as drugs but it sounds like speculation

[ame=http://youtube.com/watch?v=1FmwdTI8N1E]Zydrunas Savickas Deadlift 430 kg - YouTube[/ame]
Sure its with straps but its still 80kg more...

So, across the board, subjectively heavy (i.e., 85%+ ???) conventional [or sumo] deadlifts once a week - or less - is not that uncommon, yeah?

For intermediate through to elite, that is. Novice maybe, in some cases.

Volume is where I still "know" less than jack or shit, lol. Or is this one just all over the damn shop....

Oni Savikas pulling big demonstrates nothing.

I don't get why not... he put up 442.5kg equipped in a powerlifting meet which is 40kg more than Gillingham has put up equipped. The video done raw is 50kg more than Gillingham's raw best... I don't think you can say that Savickas isn't stronger than Gillingham at the deadlift. He also totalled 1,090kg equipped vs Gillingham's 1,062kg equipped and he benches raw close to what Gillingham does equipped

I wouldnt pull significantly over 85% more than once per week. You can definitely get away with 80% twice but it depends on the volume- but over 85% is getting pretty heavy.

I normally do around 80-85% Tuesday and Sunday- but less than 20 reps over 80% each week.

Last edited:
He put weight on his lifts doing strongman. It doesn't mean that strongman made his deadlift better. When did Saviikas deadlift 442.5 in comp?
Anyway- what makes this attributable to strongman?

I don't know it went off on a tangent again
He did 442.5kg in the Lithuanian National Powerlifting Championships between the dates of 2001-2005 and it was a tested IPF meet. I'd look for the specific competition but finding Lithuanian results is understandably hard!

Anyway- I don't think there is any reason to attribute his increase in deadlift to anything different to Gillingham- just because he moved into strongman. Some great powerlifters do strongman, especially good deadlifters. This does not mean that any improvement in the powerlifts is attributable to strongman. People get stronger. Hell Gillingham deadlifted 400. I suspect Savikas trains his deadlift in a similar manner to Brad but adds in other stuff to prepare himself for the demands of strongman.
Your suggestion that strongman is better for deadlifting than powerlifting hasn't been shown in my opinion.
As I said before, if it was better I'd expect the best and smartest to be doing strongman training. The fact is- as far as I can tell- its not strongman impacting on the way powerlifters train deadlift as much as powerlifting providing part of the preparation for strongman. I never said strongman training wasn't useful or good or beneficial- just not agreeing that it is better for deadlifting.

It makes sense that strongman training specifically isn't better than any other sort of training but it does seem that typically people that do loads of midsection training and conditioning are big pullers irrespective of the implement used and strongman is a decent demonstration of this. I'm going to POSSIBLY be able to have a conversation with a top level strongman and will ask them if when they train for the deadlift if they do deadlift specific training or just do the strongman training.

Thank you for trying to make sense of my thoughts lol

Well, based on the vids i have seen of training from Savickas, Benny, Misha, Poundstone etc- they pull with a barbell plenty.
The thing is PLs do plenty of midsection work- for this reason you don't see the Ruskies adding in strongman stuff.