• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Which Machine?

Which machine

• Total voters
Machines are shit! Full stop. Cables are okay only for lat pull down when u can't do your own weight any more other than that. i never include those hammer strengh and nautilus joint destroyers !!

Get out Marty
No really.

It's interesting how people have different ideas about building muscle.
As though it was some mystic secret and everyone on the planet is wrong.

We can report to the mod squad that there needs to be a thread clean-up, but I say let the shit flow, water finds its level eventually.

I use the ab wheel, thats a machine. A very simple one but a machine none the less.

Put it on thelist goose and it'll get a vote.

If you stick a barbell into one of those fuckin torso-n-aters thingos with it's fix plain of movement does it then become a machine?

I think the term machine is a bit of a wank my apologies.

Seated row gets me partially giddy. Safer version of the bent row, that allows you to take time with each rep and focus on the muscle contraction.

It's interesting how people have different ideas about building muscle.
As though it was some mystic secret and everyone on the planet is wrong.

We can report to the mod squad that there needs to be a thread clean-up, but I say let the shit flow, water finds its level eventually.

No one is wrong, that's the point.

If I were to sum up the reason I like machines, it would be how effortlessly you can target a muscle group, without using up all your gas.

Compound free weight exercises are great, but in some respects so is the machine.

Everybody wins.

Everyone who says machines are shit need to pull their heads out of their arses, they all have their place depending on goals, some just more effectively then others, maybe if your a PL or Olly lifter I can understand not liking them, but I would imagine even PL would benefit from machine every now and then for assistance work...

And don't start this crap about back in the day..... there are plenty of pics getting around of Arnie, Serge, Platz, Zane, Yates etc etc using, machines in some form or another...

When I was a "bodybuilder" I barely used any machines at all. :rolleyes:

I was stuck between leg press and seated row. Both have made an impact by increasing safety in exercises where there are other limiting factors. Even though back is my favourite bodypart to train, the Leg Press squeaks it out for me. Allowing to smash your legs into the ground without the risk of a barbell crushing you into the ground.

Tricep rope pushdown on the plate stack is the only one worth doing. Lat pulls if your too weak to hoist your own bodyweight.

Are tricep pushdowns good? I got someone giving a big pulley thing away I'm just not sure it's worth the delivery money to get it to my place.

I voted leg press, leg extension, leg curl and seated row. Seated rows are my favourite row variation. I can't get much activation in the middle/lower traps with most bent over variations, but seated variations just do it for me and hit the spot. I'd also add calf raise machines and cable machines. I'm a big fan of cables, because they often allow you to get more tension throughout the ROM than dumbbells and barbells.

I voted seated row as I feel it's the only machine to offer any sort of benefit over a barbell exercise

Tricep push downs are up there with my favourite tricep exercise.

They seem to get a bad rap from some lifters - "do skull crushers or dips instead" I hear.

Any strong ppl think they're good? I have someone willing to give me a machine I'm just not sure it's worth the cartage to get the thing to my place.

They seem to get a bad rap from some lifters - "do skull crushers or dips instead" I hear.

Any strong ppl think they're good? I have someone willing to give me a machine I'm just not sure it's worth the cartage to get the thing to my place.
Ed Coan did them, I think Kaz did as well. I still do them on occassion but I'm not strong.