• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Which Machine?

Which machine

• Total voters
We or most of us know which bar-bell exercises are the most important to building muscle and bulk.

My question is, which of these machines do you think are the most important contribution to bodybiulding and made the biggest impact?

Yeah good exercise.

The barbell/dumb-bell sort of has everything covered.

The pullover is an amazing exercise, But I believe the leg-curl is really the only machine that enables one to stimulate the hamstring in a way that a barbell can't.

The pullover is an amazing exercise, But I believe the leg-curl is really the only machine that enables one to stimulate the hamstring in a way that a barbell can't.

This is true, most of those other machines mentioned can be duplicated using a barbell or there is and alternate execise which is better such as squats/leg press, Peck Deck/DB flyes, etc

Seated row and lat pulldowns are the only ones I use regularly, unless I feel lazy, I do every now again have an entire workout with mostly machines, better than nothing.

Cable tower/crossover ... adds so many more exercises in a different plane of motion with constant tension.

Yeah I didn't add cables, as they've been around since the 20's

Machines made their entrance late 50's early 60's I think, and seemed to impact on how the bodybiulder looked, in particular, hamstring development.

I like the seated row the best out of these exercises, but I agree about leg curls being necessary to stimulate the hamstrings in a way that barbells can't (although the screaming pain in my hamstrings after RDL's alone would beg to differ).

Machines are shit! Full stop. Cables are okay only for lat pull down when u can't do your own weight any more other than that. i never include those hammer strengh and nautilus joint destroyers !!

Machines are awesome, the stand out for me would be tricep push down then cable flies or lat pull down .

Tricep rope pushdown on the plate stack is the only one worth doing. Lat pulls if your too weak to hoist your own bodyweight.

Everyone who says machines are shit need to pull their heads out of their arses, they all have their place depending on goals, some just more effectively then others, maybe if your a PL or Olly lifter I can understand not liking them, but I would imagine even PL would benefit from machine every now and then for assistance work...

And don't start this crap about back in the day..... there are plenty of pics getting around of Arnie, Serge, Platz, Zane, Yates etc etc using, machines in some form or another...

I can do wide pulls for reps with a plate between my legs, but if I want to isolate a area of my back I will put 50kg or so on a lat pull down,

And I don't care what anyone thinks about isolating.

Everyone who says machines are shit need to pull their heads out of their arses, they all have their place depending on goals, some just more effectively then others, maybe if your a PL or Olly lifter I can understand not liking them, but I would imagine even PL would benefit from machine every now and then for assistance work...

And don't start this crap about back in the day..... there are plenty of pics getting around of Arnie, Serge, Platz, Zane, Yates etc etc using, machines in some form or another...

Good for some. Not for others..for me they give me joint pain and cause havoc on my joints with the fixed motion. They turn compound movements into isolation movements. I know people always talk about stabilisers and crap but u really want to recruit all your muscles at every movement possible. Hence on curls on the way down u dont hear it often but u should get your tris to help u on negative (way down). Chest needs shoulders and tris and lats firing all at once when benching. Machines ABUSE causes irregular weaknesses and a false sense. Go do dumbells to failure then do the same weight on barbell I bet when u get to the smith u will get more reps on the same weight (hence false sence of security. I would compare u get more growths rom free weight half squat then smith deep squats. Or with half the weight. Really u are robing your self useing to many machines.