• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Weightlifting shoes

Cleans are entirely different, theres an overhead balancing part to the lift.

Good raw/single ply powerlifters will usually have both a pair of deadlifting slippers for deadlifts and squat shoes for everything else. Theres more posterior chain involvement with flat shoes which is a mechanical advantage, and the thin sole reduces the distance the bar has to travel.

Olympic lifters will always need decent shoes though.

No hes not.

One of the most fundamental assistance exercies in weightlifting is the clean pull. This movement is essentially a deadlift with an explosive hip extension and shrug at the top. This movement is always done in oly shoes.

I clean 127.5kg yet have done 180kg x 5 in the clean pull at the end of a workout.

A lifter I know called Harvey has cleaned 205kg @91kg. He was using 260+ for triples in the clean pull.

Some bloke called Razza cleans over 260+ I wonder what he would be using for clean pulls. 320kg+ I would imagine.

Oly shoes change the leverages but in the end strong is strong.

I think we're talking about two different things regarding deadlift and weightlifting shoes vs flats.

I don't think anyone is saying that you can't DL well in weightlifting shoes. The question is: can YOU personally deadlift more in flats compared to weightlifting shoes?

I remember asking this question in the previous thread on weightlifting shoes and Bluey told me that flats are better. Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding - View Single Post - Increase your Squat weights instantly!

Anyway, I was too impatient for the Do-Wins so ordered a pair of Risto Risto Sports - on its way, if I'm lucky it'll be here today!

I'll give those beauties some tests.

I think we're talking about two different things regarding deadlift and weightlifting shoes vs flats.

I don't think anyone is saying that you can't DL well in weightlifting shoes. The question is: can YOU personally deadlift more in flats compared to weightlifting shoes?

I remember asking this question in the previous thread on weightlifting shoes and Bluey told me that flats are better. Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding - View Single Post - Increase your Squat weights instantly!

Anyway, I was too impatient for the Do-Wins so ordered a pair of Risto Risto Sports - on its way, if I'm lucky it'll be here today!

I'll give those beauties some tests.

Nobody said anything about me personally deadlifting more.

i hear it's pretty difficult to deadlift in weightlifting shoes, while a cinch to lift wearing converse type shoes!

Thats what was said and the point is its not difficult to DL in weightlifting shoes. Its just different.

Been waiting ages for these shoes to come into stock and now I don't even have to go to Richmond to buy them :D See you tonight Markos

No hes not.

One of the most fundamental assistance exercies in weightlifting is the clean pull. This movement is essentially a deadlift with an explosive hip extension and shrug at the top. This movement is always done in oly shoes.

I clean 127.5kg yet have done 180kg x 5 in the clean pull at the end of a workout.

A lifter I know called Harvey has cleaned 205kg @91kg. He was using 260+ for triples in the clean pull.

Some bloke called Razza cleans over 260+ I wonder what he would be using for clean pulls. 320kg+ I would imagine.

Oly shoes change the leverages but in the end strong is strong.

The clean involves a movement overhead. The deadlift is only a partial movement of this and elite powerlifters use far, far heavier weights.

YouTube - Andy Bolton world record deadlift of 457.5kg (1008 lbs).

Yeah those people are still strong, doesnt mean theyre at a mechanical advantage.

I dont think there is a correct answer, every one needs to try for themselves, but here is some food for thought.

Powerlifters sit back when they squat and use Chuck Taylors to great advantage. They deadlift with similar flat bottom shoes, I feel there is a carryover between the muscle groups between the 2 lifts, so the same shoe would help.

Olympic lifters always squat with an elevated heel, this targets different muscle groups as they also sit down not back. By pulling with the same shoes I believe you are using the carryover from the muscles you developed squatting.

This is simply theory, but I dont doubt for a minute that the best Olympic lifters could deadlift very close to world record weights wearing elevated heels. Blokes like Reza could pull 400kg raw without straining, or training the lift, while passing a drug test.

It makes sense to pull in the same shoes as you squat, thats what the best powerlifters and weightlifters do.

I have a few lifters experimenting at the moment at PTC, I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Theyre not actually my stock. AK has been kind enough to provide me with stock to sell to PTC clients, I really cant be jacked to mail them off as I make nothing on them.

You can order direct from AK, they are $130.

Rick gave me 10 pairs to sell on Wednesday, I have 2 left, with one possibly going to Ronnie tonight. I have also had to order 3 pairs for lifters who's size I ran out of.

Pretty much every serious squatter at PTC wears them

I dont think there is a correct answer, every one needs to try for themselves, but here is some food for thought.

Powerlifters sit back when they squat and use Chuck Taylors to great advantage. They deadlift with similar flat bottom shoes, I feel there is a carryover between the muscle groups between the 2 lifts, so the same shoe would help.

Olympic lifters always squat with an elevated heel, this targets different muscle groups as they also sit down not back. By pulling with the same shoes I believe you are using the carryover from the muscles you developed squatting.

That theory may have some legs. I've been deadlifting with the weightlifting shoes on. It felt different at first, as I switched from Chuck Taylors, but I got used to it quickly. I've always been squatting high-bar Olympic style regardless of shoes, so it's not a big transition. I've beaten my previous 1RM on both DL sessions relatively easily.

Let us know how your guys deadlift with those shoes at PTC.

That theory may have some legs. I've been deadlifting with the weightlifting shoes on. It felt different at first, as I switched from Chuck Taylors, but I got used to it quickly. I've always been squatting high-bar Olympic style regardless of shoes, so it's not a big transition. I've beaten my previous 1RM on both DL sessions relatively easily.

Let us know how your guys deadlift with those shoes at PTC.

You should not be deadlifting in olympic lift shoes!!!!

bare feet!!

I was looking at the do-wins on the web, sadly they do not come in my size.
Posted via Mobile Device

I was looking at the do-wins on the web, sadly they do not come in my size.
Posted via Mobile Device

The mrs got me a pair, quite large actually maybe i should of gone a size down... i got 44. im usually a 10.5

You should not be deadlifting in olympic lift shoes!!!!

bare feet!!

Not being smart here noobs, but In competion, you MUST lift in shoes.
I have deadlifted with bare feet from day dot, but got a pair of Do-Wins last week. I squat in them so dont you think I should deadlift in the same shoe?

I actually deadlifted in them a few days ago. Whilst it was way off my pb (was doing 152.5 for 5x5) I didnt feel much of a difference.

Why the hate?

Haha little foot man, I'm size 15 that's size 49 in Europe I believe. I am used to not finding shoes so it's ok.
Posted via Mobile Device

M,
How many deadlifters do you have lifting in Do-Wins (or similar)? How do they/you feel its affected their lift?
At capo Ill be squatting in my Do-Wins, but undecided on what to wear with my deadlift. Its Do-Wins or a 5mm rubber soled shoe - like volleys.
I havent tried a PB on the deadlift since I got the Do-Wins, Maybe Ill see how I pull on monday with them on.

Not being smart here noobs, but In competion, you MUST lift in shoes.
I have deadlifted with bare feet from day dot, but got a pair of Do-Wins last week. I squat in them so dont you think I should deadlift in the same shoe?

I actually deadlifted in them a few days ago. Whilst it was way off my pb (was doing 152.5 for 5x5) I didnt feel much of a difference.

Why the hate?

because it puts you at a mechanical disadvantage by limiting posterior chain involvement.

http://www.youtube.com/user/powerliftingtv#p/search/14/DrSYHK0MiOc

IPF worlds for the deadlift. everyones wearing flat soled shoes.

Scott, everyone is different. Nina has incredibly strong quads. She is deadlifting in them as an experiment, so far so good.

I think only a couple of others are. Max pulled in Titan deadlift slippers and smashed the equipped National Record, the Raw National Record and the WPC World record in his class, raw, so he'll argue that deadlift slippers are the way to go.

Find out for your self. Like Oli correctly stated though, nearly everyone deadlifts in flat shoes.