• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Weightlifting shoes

Just for anybody interested.....

I didnt take both pairs, so I deadlifted in my RAISED heel shoe. My DL was down by 10kg. It may have just been because it was at the day, but its say to say that it didnt make my job any easier.

Ill be DL in a flat soled shoe from now on :)

Just for anybody interested.....

I didnt take both pairs, so I deadlifted in my RAISED heel shoe. My DL was down by 10kg. It may have just been because it was at the day, but its say to say that it didnt make my job any easier.

Ill be DL in a flat soled shoe from now on :)

Good boy..

For an experiment guys put the barbell on chocks so it is higher and see how much easier it is to lift.. then you stand on the chocks and see how much harder it is..

its a no brainer that you want to be as close to the ground as you can.

Stop assuming Noobs.

Nina pulls more standing on blocks than the bar elevated.

She has extremely strong quads and by raising the bar we eliminate her drive, by introducing more leg drive the bar has more speed when it reaches her sticking point.

I also watched Howie and Max do deadlifts off blocks together.

Howie - 140kg - 260kg deadlift
Max - 67kg - 170kg deadlift

Same block height, Max pulled 250kg, Howie couldnt. This was close to a year ago.

Every lifter is different, never assume anything

Stop assuming Noobs.

Nina pulls more standing on blocks than the bar elevated.

She has extremely strong quads and by raising the bar we eliminate her drive, by introducing more leg drive the bar has more speed when it reaches her sticking point.

I also watched Howie and Max do deadlifts off blocks together.

Howie - 140kg - 260kg deadlift
Max - 67kg - 170kg deadlift

Same block height, Max pulled 250kg, Howie couldnt. This was close to a year ago.

Every lifter is different, never assume anything

So then why do people deadlift in slippers and not raised shoes? This is what im trying to understand..

So that means nina would lift more wearing platform shoes then deadlift slippers and thats what she would wear at comp?

Last edited:
You just cant assume that everyone is the same.

Nick struggles to rack press his bench PB, Max does 40kg over.

Every lifter has a different sticking point in every lift. When we use a full ROM, we meet that sticking point with speed, allowing us to blast through.

Start a lift at that sticking point, different story.

Louie deadlifted 235kg in Weightlifting shoes at one of my comps, how many on here can pull that in socks on here?

Most dont take the time to experiment and see what works for them.

Dont use elite lifters as examples, there elite because they dont have the same issues we do

*dead horse gets flogged*

PTC's right in that not all lifters deadlift in flat soled shoes (eg ed coan) but i think the large majority of people will benefit from flat shoes when pulling and a raised heel for everything else.

the most important thing is that you're not wearing runners.

lol,
I didnt mean to open any cans here, just stating what happened to me.

Different strokes for different blokes :)

Do you recommend these for deadlifts and pendlay rows or just for squats and overheads etc?

weightlifting shoes = any exercise that isn't a deadlift

flat soled shoes = deadlift

'pendlay rows' aka bent rows are an accessory exercise for the upper back, therefore hamstring/quad recruitment shouldn't matter because its not the focus of the exercise.

Actually they offer great grip and a higher setting allowing you to push harder into the floor.

Such a variety to choose from for a good price now..

100-150 is a cheap investment into your oly lifts.