• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
witnessed my first Jetts PT in action on leg day.
Program appears to be
squats with fit ball against a wall x 1million
hack squat machine x 1million
db "sumo" squat x 1million
calf raises x 1million

IDK maybe the client was after maximum muscular endurance?

Another fella was doing some chinups. Now much respect for giving it his all as he clearly was but he was struggling to do more than 1 ROM chinup. 1st one decent, next 4 about 2" ROM. Then grabs 20kg and hangs it off himself to do more even smaller ROM ones. IDK maybe trying to overload that portion of the chinup. (I do do heavy weighted negatives though as that definitely helps for me e.g. 40kg hanging when I can do 30kgx5 so it's still controllable but well above what I can do in proper reps)

peek hour yesterday, and only 2 squat racks. both dudes standing there with head in phone... musta been 5 min rests ffs.

so annoying. had to do some incline bench 1/2 way thru my leg workout because they don't have the balls to sweat and push themselves.

Last edited:
^^^ you realise strong people actually need close to 5mins rest on a big compound exercise right?

Yesterday was another new one for me. Guy holding dbs by his side, takes his right leg and puts it behind his left leg (sort of like a skater?) and is on his toes with the right foot. Doing a 1/4 squat type movement with the left leg and a calf raise with the right leg while attempting not to fall over. #functionaltraining

It takes me 2 - 3 hours to do a full training session. One main compound lift plus 2-3 accessories.

I train for powerlifting. I may wait up to 20 min between sets if I am working with a weight up around the 90-100% range. Normally 5-8 min or so between normal heavy work sets. Depends a bit on how many others are training in the same area. Also add on lots of warm up sets, lots of flexibility work with stretches, foam roller, baseball rolling plus stretches for specific muscles in between sets then stretches, foam rolling and such after the workout.

In between I am not sitting around checkin' mah abz in da mirror 'n Facebookin' mah selfies. I'm recovering, getting my blood pressure down, hydrating and focusing on my next set, then getting ramped up, chalked and belted. And maybe admiring some spankin' buns in tights. Preferably female.

Its not right. Its not better. Its not the way it should be. It just is for me and what I do. Other guys like CT would probably be going for 15sec to 2 min rests so they better be out of my gym in an hour or I wanna know why.

My accessories tend to be 2 min rests. Sometimes its 1min cycles (do the exercise starting on the minute mark, rest, start the next set on the minute mark). Much more of a bodybuilding style.

So, like everything else fitness related, it all depends on what you are going for. A gym junkie "doing arms" should be out of there in 30 min. A strongman/powerlifter training deadlift or squat might take 3-4 hours.

Last edited:
yes, but that does not prove that you need to train like that to be good at powerlifting. More of a convention rather than a necessity, me think.

yes, but that does not prove that you need to train like that to be good at powerlifting. More of a convention rather than a necessity, me think.

I think many of the blokes in the 70's to 80's didn't, most of their time was spent "working out", looking after family and working.
Doing the three lifts was something they did closer to comp day.

agree with [MENTION=13432]WoodyAllen[/MENTION]; I like to train in a "powerbuilding" style so will do my heaviest compound exercise first and get plenty of rest in between sets. Then doing accessory stuff after that in more typical BB rep ranges and rest periods. Best of both worlds IMO. So for example yesterday, I spent about 25 mins on my weighted chins (warmups plus 4 sets) and then about 25 mins on inverted rows, reverse flys, db flys and bicep curls. Obviously, if I was squatting or deadlifting the time would be greater because of the time it takes to warm up to working weight (compared to chins which is only up to 30kg or so)