• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Powerlifting/Weightlifting Gyms/Clubs in Brisbane

Yeah I know mate, just pointing out facts to wake some people up to the fact that there are other good gyms out there besides PTC (which is a great training place).
You should rename these forums the PTC forums ;)

The OP is asking for a PL gym/club.... Not where 4 strong lifters train.
Health works is completly different to a PL gym like PTC/strength sports/iron underground.
Out of all our lifters, 99% are PLers, not people running on treadmills or doing 1/4 squats.

I type this sitting at Bangkok international airport on my way to the world PL champs where I will be competing and coaching 4 other PTC brisbane members... Including Ricky who won the Australian nationals, 18yo Zach who has Australias best teen equipped bencher... Ever, and Rebecca, who pulls 400lbs...... While Jason and Jeff are number 1 in QLD, we hold our own.

I've been thinking that for a while... "PTC" style training is big here... Compared to Olympia where i go and there are a lot of very big boys, but deadlifts & real squats are pretty few and far between.

This is the strength forum....and the OP is looking for a strength gym... If your gym has big members.... But don't squat of pull; how does it help the op?

The fact is people like PTC Brisbane because we lift properly we train hard, we get results.

Last edited:
Not saying anyone is lying but I always hear about all these supposedly huge guys that never squat or deadlift and dont lift big weights but I don't see too many in real life.

Yes & I was mentioning HW because clearly it is a good powerlifting gym, just because it has treadmills & other crap doesn't take away from this fact.
It clearly has everything a person needs to be a successful powerlifter.
Was I not supposed to mention it because it's not a PTC?

But it's not a "powerlifting gym", it's a health club that just happens to have a select few people who train PL style.. Besides that, Scott mentioned a few names in his above post, not JUST PTC.. He also isn't in charge of all the people that comment with their own experiences, if it's a good reputable place then it's going to get more reviews..

Above all, I'm sure the OP is a big enough boy to have seen all the information posted about the various gyms and make his own opinion on where he will try out..

See you at PTC Jay :p hahaha

Some of the biggest guy i have ever seen, including global champions, mostly trained on moderate weights. Many also traned heavy.

Sure, they are bodybuilders and not strength athletes, but i woud be betting they are way stronger than me with a bit of skill training.

I mostly have trained on moderate weights, and not really that talented Still benched 172.5kg (raw) touch and go, 155kg power clean.

My observation; many ways to train, as long as there is regular overload and stress of muscles.

One NABB Mr World, bloody huge, never saw him squat or deadlift. Trained with him once with his supposed light weights, one of hardest sessions i ever did. Same thing was said by a 500 pound bencher after he used to mock him.

There is also nothing wrong with good machines, although fre weights still my favorite option for a number of reasons. Good gym can certainly have both options.

Last edited:
But it's not a "powerlifting gym", it's a health club that just happens to have a select few people who train PL style.. Besides that, Scott mentioned a few names in his above post, not JUST PTC.. He also isn't in charge of all the people that comment with their own experiences, if it's a good reputable place then it's going to get more reviews..

Yeah I know but it's a gym that's got all the equipment a powerlifter needs (and a cheaper option & closer to OP) so is it not worth a mention?

Yeah I know but it's a gym that's got all the equipment a powerlifter needs (and a cheaper option & closer to OP) so is it not worth a mention?

Absolutely :) .. Same as all the others are as well..
But there were just a few comments about PTC being not the only option/this thread being overtaken by it.. By point was just, it has a good reputation and everyone is commenting with their own experiences, it's not intentional overtaking :p

Absolutely :) .. Same as all the others are as well..
But there were just a few comments about PTC being not the only option/this thread being overtaken by it.. By point was just, it has a good reputation and everyone is commenting with their own experiences, it's not intentional overtaking :p

Yeah all good, there's lots of good options around for OP in Brissy. He can't go too wrong either way.
Hope your training is going well.

when people think of a power lifting gym, they think cages, racks, platforms, chalk.

While I admit Hw has has these items it doesn't have the typical dedicated setup. The equiprment that is there is pretty much just for the 4 capo boys. Jeff made a call on what he needs to have to run a successful business, smart move.

I should also a that a power lifting gym is more than the plates, and equiptment. The biggest thing is the members (No matter how few) and their attitude towards their sport, and sharing that with other interested people. Haveing competed with capo at healthworks the guys are great.

If the op is smart he will check out and train at all the suggestons, and make an educated choice...he may even train at multple places.

lol it's like me saying munno para anytime fitness is a srs gym because I train there as well as a few competitive bodybuilders

C'mon guys.. lets just leave it now.. theres 8 pages of comments, and like 5 gym suggestions.. OP has seen all the opinions and recommendations.. I'm sure he'll check out the ones he likes the sound of and decide from there..

All the gyms are great in their own respective ways, he will find the right fit for him :)

on the topic of QLD gyms...

i'll be in broadbeach for 7 days come early novemeber...a week or two before my next PL comp...so i'm hardly wanting to miss my week 10 sessions :p

Recommendations? I'll be staying at ocean beach. i noticed fitness first (rollseyes) is probably easy walking distance. I saw nothing else on my brief search...

?

i'll be in broadbeach for 7 days come early novemeber...a week or two before my next PL comp...so i'm hardly wanting to miss my week 10 sessions :p

Recommendations? I'll be staying at ocean beach. i noticed fitness first (rollseyes) is probably easy walking distance. I saw nothing else on my brief search...

?

Anytime Fitness gyms have racks and the casual visit fee is $15
If you're just after a place to train they are more widespread than AIDS

?

Got a car? Gold Coast Barbell is about a 15min drive.;)

Fuckin walk. Lol

Yeah gc barbell is probably where ill head if i gotta travel anyway.
No car but if its 15mins ill get a cab.