• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Powerlifting/Weightlifting Gyms/Clubs in Brisbane

Hahaha I converted my new max squat the other day, realized I cracked the 300 pounds mark.. And am now adopting myself an American accent just so I can go around talking about it in pounds and sounding more impressive :p

Hi jay.
My name is Scott, or sticky, and I run PTC in brisbane.

As everyone said, we have a great PL set up/team and everybody that trains there wants to get bigger/stronger/faster.

We have people that train from Springwood/ipswitch/cleaveland/caboolture.... And I myself travel over 100kn each way to get there.
People travel for the right gym.

Feel free to come out for a chat when you get out mate.

Hi jay.
My name is Scott, or sticky, and I run PTC in brisbane.

As everyone said, we have a great PL set up/team and everybody that trains there wants to get bigger/stronger/faster.

We have people that train from Springwood/ipswitch/cleaveland/caboolture.... And I myself travel over 100kn each way to get there.
People travel for the right gym.

Feel free to come out for a chat when you get out mate.

$20 bucks a week, close to public transport (Northgate train station), lots of easy parking, I'd certainly consider it if it was possible for me.

I've lived and worked on Melton Road previously, was out there Saturday visiting a mate. Your not in the old Results/White City fitness centre back from the road are you Sticky?

PTC also gets my vote, I've only been there once but it's a great place and Sticky/Scott knows what he's doing.

I'd sign up if my car didn't chew $20 of fuel getting there and back. Damn v8s... ps anyone want to buy an SS ute :p

Brisbane has a few dedicated PL/strength gyms. As has been mentioned by others PTC would be a solid choice. In the interest of keeping travel time down you could probably consider these two as well, if they are closer to you -

http://ausbb.com/trainer-gym-section/19187-strength-sports-gym-brisbane-now-open.html
Strength Sports Gym | Just another WordPress site

UQPWC that you mentioned in your post would be a great gym as well plenty of high level PA lifters. Dunno where you stand on feds or if you are into competing but PA is IPF affiliated.

No hate on PTC seems like a great gym with the right attitude just thought the op might like to know all his options.

I should mention, we have an IPF lifter at PTC.
We don't care where you lift, as long as you want to improve.

That said, most lift with GPC.

I should mention, we have an IPF lifter at PTC.
We don't care where you lift, as long as you want to improve.

That said, most lift with GPC.

As said stick man not hating on you guys, you got a great thing going on there and your obviously getting lots of people involved in the sport. Kudos to you.

Yeah man, I know, and cheers.

Just wanted to point out that whilst we all believe GPC is the best Aussie fed, doesn't mean we don't let our lifters choose where they want to lift.

Thanks gents. I appreciate the options, especially since I don't quite know where I'll be living around the Brisbane area just yet. There seem to be a few guys & gals from PTC here, so I'm sure I'll check out your facility first and foremost. A lot of the guys (and girls!) lift heavier than others I've personally trained with, so it'd be great for coaching, I'm sure.

I'm definitely not ready for any type of competitive lifting. Maybe after a few months of hardcore training.

And I have a friend in Coolum Beach training Muay Thai, so I'm likely to travel at least that far (about 2hrs) every weekend or so to keep up my MMA training. Like Sticky said, people will travel for the right gym, and I'm more than willing to. Gyms & the people using them will probably decide where I live for the time I'm out there... so I appreciate all the advice & input.

I highly rate PTC Brisbane
Everyone that trains there makes crazy progress. I trained there twice and Scott gave me just a small tip on my squat that improved it loads (point feet more forwards and sit back a wee bit less). It takes a real eye to spot something like that when you've never seen the person train before
Whether you're a powerlifter, weightlifter, strongman, bodybuilder, MMA fighter, cyclist... PTC has everything you need. All you really need is the ability to train hard. You don't need to compete but it is a very competitive environment and this alone pushes people to new bests. If you're not really strong yet you're the strongest guy in your gym then you tend to get trapped in thought loops over what you can and can't do. When you see 300kg squats once a week it becomes normal and there is no doubt in your mind that you can hit these numbers

Much closer to Archerfield is the UQPWC (University of Queensland Powerlifting and Weighltifting Club), which is where Powerlifting Australia host their Brisbane meets.

Much closer to Archerfield is the UQPWC (University of Queensland Powerlifting and Weighltifting Club), which is where Powerlifting Australia host their Brisbane meets.

Yeah, thanks, I noticed that in my Google adventure. I'll probably check UQPWC and PTC before I make my decision, but PTC seems to be a smaller/more consistent group of people training, which is what I'd prefer since I currently train predominantly alone.

PTC. I moved to QLD solely to train there. Definitely worth it! Scotts coaching/ programming, and the competitive environment put my total up to an easy 697.5 from 650 in 6 weeks.

PTC. I moved to QLD solely to train there. Definitely worth it! Scotts coaching/ programming, and the competitive environment put my total up to an easy 697.5 from 650 in 6 weeks.

Wtf? Where were u before?

Haha, I'm digging all the PTC love.

That's a pretty nifty improvement, though, and just shows what environment can do for you.

Pretty excited to move, if I'm honest. Not just for the easy access to 'roo meat :rolleyes:

If you end up living in Archerfield another option is Ironskull weightlifting, theyre much closer and are a good gym with a good set up. Theyre more of a weightlifting gym than a powerlifting gym but they do have strongmen, powerlifters and weightlifters training, they have a few girls so your wife wouldnt be alone there.

I have never trained at PTC so I cant compare the two.

Ballina, nsw.

Know Craig from ironskull, he is a mate of mine.
2 very different gyms, just depends what you're looking for.

What would you say the main differences are? Ive never been to PTC but I have trained with Craig before and am back there now.

Would you say the pain difference would be the focus on weightlifting Vs powerlifting?