• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Powerlifting/Weightlifting Gyms/Clubs in Brisbane

Jay

Cock Diesel
Short prefix; I don't currently live IN Brisbane or anywhere in Australia, I'm moving to Archerfield (or the local area) around the new year (Jan/Feb) to start a new job, so talk at me like I'm slow. My Aussie geographical knowledge is terrible, I've only ever been to Sydney, and you guys have awesome/weird place names.

Ok, so I've been powerlifting on and off for the past 5 years, with more serious training in the last year (job commitments, won't get into it). I'm looking for a serious group of people to train with properly when I swoop into town.
I've Googled around for a few days and only come across one [seemingly] dedicated club/gym for powerlifters near to Archerfield, and that's UQPWC.

a) I checked it out, it seems legit, does anyone train here and is it a decent environment?
b) Are there better gyms/clubs in the area? trying not to commute too much... I could do an hour or so, but any more than that and the wife might start complaining.

Thanks in advance ladies & gents.

PTC Brisbane. Google it. Best PL gym around, guaranteed.

I was going to say this but I've been replying with "PTC" to every thread already.

I just checked on google maps - Archerfield to Northgate. PTC Perth is similar distance from where I live currently.

PTC would be a fair hike from Archerfield wouldn't it not

I checked and it's about half an hour if Google Maps isn't trying to put one over on me. Though I suspect that's in zero traffic. My current work commute is half an hour unless there's traffic, then I'm looking at 1hr+ incl. waiting at a damn toll booth, so it's no bother.

Guess it's time to start counting in KGs not lbs.

It's worth the commute anyway.. I don't drive and I used to spend an hour and a half on public transport each way to get out to the old location.. Many members travel far.. It's what makes its so amazing, the people that are there really really want to be there and make the effort :)

Go directly from work like i do, cuts the distance by half :)

The old lady currently has an issue with that, she says something about actually spending time together. Heh.

It's worth the commute anyway.. I don't drive and I used to spend an hour and a half on public transport each way to get out to the old location.. Many members travel far.. It's what makes its so amazing, the people that are there really really want to be there and make the effort :)

So you actually train there? I can hold you personally accountable for any of my enjoyment (or lack thereof) there? :p
Looking at the site it seems like a decent community of people, helping each other get to their best... and that's what I'm looking for. My current gym sucks and there's no chance of asking anyone to spot you if you don't already know them.

Lame.

Thanks guys. I love Australians.

I train at the perth 'branch' of the same, Jay. There's no one who's name i dont know or wouldnt spot for etc.

If the mrs wants to spend more time together, take her along?

What wingman said! We have a decent amount of girls coming in now, definitely bring her along!.. And yep, I train there :) .. Pretty weak though ;)

Ah, so it's like a national gym/club?

I'd love for her to lift with me. I got her New Rules of Lifting for Women and she read it, tried it out for a little while but it's not really her scene I guess. It's not for everyone.

There's a few PTC's.. But it's in no way a franchise or anything like that.. Each have their own owners and way of doing things.. We aren't tied to any particular federation technically, however we do pretty much all compete under GPC, haha

Bring her in and see how she goes, we have a range of goals between the girls.. Some are there for comp lifting.. Some for cardio complexes and conditioning.. Others for more BF% loss reasons etc.. It's a very motivating place in general :)

There's a few PTC's.. But it's in no way a franchise or anything like that.. Each have their own owners and way of doing things.. We aren't tied to any particular federation technically, however we do pretty much all compete under GPC, haha

Bring her in and see how she goes, we have a range of goals between the girls.. Some are there for comp lifting.. Some for cardio complexes and conditioning.. Others for more BF% loss reasons etc.. It's a very motivating place in general :)

Ahh, I see.

I'll try and get her in with the change of scenery, we'll be around for about 2 years give or take so she could use a good network of friends to build on, no doubt.

p.s. I'm doubting you're weak :p are your numbers up on the "totals board"? heh.

Ahh, I see.

I'll try and get her in with the change of scenery, we'll be around for about 2 years give or take so she could use a good network of friends to build on, no doubt.

p.s. I'm doubting you're weak :p are your numbers up on the "totals board"? heh.

Sounds good! :)

Haha, I have a log floating around on here somewhere with my pink dumb bell workouts :p

Kinda glad I'm not pulling in until the new year. I just converted my maxes from lbs to KG and I'm not nearly as strong as I thought. Lol.

Thanks for all the recommendations to PTC. Will definitely be joining you guys in 2013.