• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

No carb meals

Does CBL have protein and fat requirements for the off days and before the carb meal? I have read the book and may have missed it

Depends whether you're following db or sa protocol. There is no carb meal on off days for sa.

Theres some tables in the back of the book with some numbers but some people suggest 1:1 protein grams : fat grams and keep carbs under 30g.

Depends whether you're following db or sa protocol. There is no carb meal on off days for sa.

Theres some tables in the back of the book with some numbers but some people suggest 1:1 protein grams : fat grams and keep carbs under 30g.

yep saw the tables, still found it a little confusing tho. i understand theres no carbs on non workout days. but are you looking to hit 20% below maintenance on non workout days?

CBL really does just sound like a variation of a LG typical day with majority of carbs intaken post workout albeit with a few extra things like this fat intake during the day.

At the end of the day, you can't beat the laws of thermodynamics and meal frequency and timing is personal preference.

Nazzy: you are not going to get a supercompensated glycogen replenishment from one typical training session. This is the key premise in UD2. There is 3.5 days of less than 50g carbs per day and two high rep full body training sessions to ensure full glycogen depletion (if done right). Not going to happen with one typical PL session and reducing carbs for the morning/arvo especially if you carb loaded the night before.

Thanks man!!!
I was aware of the UD2 approach to super compensation.... Actually I think that's where I first came across it?

Some of the CBL links looks to time carbs intake during periods of supercompensation... It's a different window... Havnt read much further into it...

EDIT: the below below is INCORRECT. It is 1g:1g ratio.

Info on the dh forums say a 1 to 1 caloric ratio of fat/protein rather than by mass

Last edited:
The diet I am on is pretty simple, complex carbs for breakfast (oats) with protein shake, greek yoghurt with almonds as snack, small amount of carbs with lunch - wholemeal wrap etc, handful of almonds for afternoon snack and no carbs with dinner - protein shake pre bed.

About 250g of meat or fish of choice with lunch and dinner, lots of green veg for both - usually a salad or steamed veg. There are loads of ways to get creative, and cooking leftovers means it is easy to maintain the diet and not cheat.

I like the simplicity of it as it means I don't need to measure everything, once you know your portion sizes of meat and fish. Might be different if you were looking for a specific weight or training for a bb comp, but it is really easy to maintain.

I have lost a full waist size (now a 36) and still losing bodyfat on this diet over the last 6 weeks, bodyweight still sitting at 98kg.

Info on the dh forums say a 1 to 1 caloric ratio of fat/protein rather than by mass

Is this in the low carb part of the day on a training day or on a non training day?

Because that is some serious fat intake for most people!

And I just got the book so I'll have a read today.

Is this in the low carb part of the day on a training day or on a non training day?

Because that is some serious fat intake for most people!

And I just got the book so I'll have a read today.

She's wrong, it's not by calories its by grams. Eg 1 gram protein : 1 gram fat. And thats on the first half of training days.

Edit - in the book I dont think it mentions the above at all. It's people in the DH FB group and DH Forums that say that. Some also say 1g protein per pound bodyweight and 0.5g fat per pound bodyweight. At the end of the day, I think you just need to experiment with what works for you. There is some appendixes in the back that give you a ballpark.

Last edited:
Just had a look at the appendixes.

Unless I'm doing this wrong I get
P/F/C
AM 130/32/30

PM 40*/630/80**
Total 170/632/110
Cals 4328

*Protein based on minimum 1g/lb
**fat based on the fact that he is recommending "junk" primarily PWO.

This is for me at 84kg with target BW of 77kg. I know this is a "baseline" estimate but those figures seem WAY off to me! Not to mention that I struggle with getting my 800g carb refeeds done on UD2 in 24hrs and I think I can eat a fair bit haha.

edit: latest Alan Aragon Research Review. Reserving carbs for night time: breakthrough diet solution or reverse dogma? Will read this arvo.

P/F/C
AM 130/32/30

PM 40*/630/80**
Total 170/632/110
Cals 4328

This is for me at 84kg with target BW of 77kg. I know this is a "baseline" estimate but those figures seem WAY off to me! Not to mention that I struggle with getting my 800g carb refeeds done on UD2 in 24hrs and I think I can eat a fair bit haha.

edit: latest Alan Aragon Research Review. Reserving carbs for night time: breakthrough diet solution or reverse dogma? Will read this arvo.

i got similar stats to you, i was confused also as i thought those numbers looked very high
I have found the book pretty confusing

P/F/C
AM 130/32/30

PM 40*/630/80**
Total 170/632/110
Cals 4328

edit: latest Alan Aragon Research Review. [FONT=&quot]Reserving carbs for night time: breakthrough diet solution or reverse dogma? [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Will read this arvo. [/FONT]

Nahhh. It’s a bit shit that although there is the book and all there are updates to stuff (such as the 1g:1g guide) that isn’t really released and can be hard to find. Apparently there is meant to be another book release common but no date has been set.

A few points on what you’ve written above…
You might want to start with protein and then match your fat to that 1g:1g.

Was about to make comment about your PM fat and carbs values being off. Are you sure haven’t written them the wrong way around following the P/F/C order? That’s the only way your math could work out too.

Yea i agree. Things have changed since the book as lots of people have been following it and fine tuning it.

If you want to keep up to date id follow the dangerously hardcore facebook group, dangerously hardcore forums or biojacked radio podcasts.

Its shit though, write the updated book already.

Yes I meant P/C/F sorry.

Still seems WAY excessive to me.
So for 170lb (77kg) target weight currently 84kg

Total 176P 630C 170F
Cals 704 2520 1530 4754

The only way I could see this being possible if the 600g of carb PWO is actually 600cals worth of 150g which does not really equal a carb load IMO :p

summary of AA's summary

Only one study has shown positive weight loss and FFM retention with higher carb intake at night. Limitations were much lower than "normal" athletic population protein intake, self reported food intake and non athletic population used.

Adherence to any given protocol is the most crucial determinant of it's success.

Heirarchy of importance for CHO timing.
1. total for the day
2. doses maximise and do not hinder performance (non training days suit personally preferred pattern)
3. option to experiment with hypothetical optimisation techniques currently under scientific investigation

In saying that, I'm willing to give it a go mainly because it's not far off what I currently do anyway :)

It might be worth a try doing it that way.

But remember...
You are only eating like that on workout days so average daily kcals will be less
And there is some experimentation required for carb amounts so you might end up being better with less carbs.

yep, I understand that. Those figures can't be anywhere near right though. 3x a week training would see me on about 1300 cals on off days just to be at maintenance for the week. Something is way off.