• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

No carb meals

I'd definitely get the book, I bought it.

I read it a while ago, he has changed his views since though, which isn't a great thing for the "science" he claims to back it up...

Keifer recommends loading the night before now rather than after your workout

I read it a while ago, he has changed his views since though, which isn't a great thing for the "science" he claims to back it up...

Keifer recommends loading the night before now rather than after your workout

I think you've taken that out of context unless you have a source to link? Even then I imagine it'd be different for strength accumulation / density bulking phases.

Not loading post workout would defeat the purpose because after a heavy strength session is when your body is primed to receive all the carb goodness.

fresh or smoked fish fillets
I like either the ocean blue smoked pepper rainbow trout or the pepper smoked salmon.
chicken wrapped in bacon.
baked boneless salmon

add lots of broccili/buk choy etc to add the bulk

Harry's favourite low carb meal:

500g mince
1 x spring onion
2 x garlic cloves
1 x capsicum
small bit of ginger
2 x chillis

Fry all the non meat products together for a few minutes, then add the mince.

Add a salsa on top.

Salsa

In a blender mix up 2 tomatoes, 1 spring onion, chilli, garlic, lemon juice, salt, pepper, coriander, basil, olive oil. Wizz till smooth. Pour into a container and add 1 small diced cucumber.

Put salsa on mince. Add some lettuce leaves on top if you like.

Good amount of protein harry but not enough fat. In one of Keifers podcasts he says first half of the day (eg wake til workout) should roughly 1:1 pro:cho in grams.

I think you've taken that out of context unless you have a source to link? Even then I imagine it'd be different for strength accumulation / density bulking phases.

Not loading post workout would defeat the purpose because after a heavy strength session is when your body is primed to receive all the carb goodness.

This.

I'm enjoying CBL, and the results are there to say it works.

I'd definitely get the book, I bought it.

I agree, I think you need to read the book to do it right.

Want to give this a go in a couple of months. Currently running low carbs for the last 4 weeks, lost 6kg of mostly fat from what I can work out as definition is getting better and gut is getting smaller marginally.

Want to drop another 6-10 kg and then try this.

So far have not lost any strength doing low carb, but get exhausted more by end of workout like I am running out of steam. Also have not made any strength gains and actually feel a bit weaker. But strength is not the point while I am trying to drop body fat, dropping body fat is and it seems to be doing that all while eating like a king.

Have bought several low carb cook books and the Atkins new diet revolution book as well as the Atkins cook book. well worth it as I enjoy my meals, and don't feel like I am missing out on anything by not having carbs. Meal planning is essential though. And not having temptations in the house also helps.

Have plenty of meat, eggs and a large salad and plenty of veggies. So I believe it is also a healthy diet.

I had one friend who has no idea call it 'the most dangerous diet in the world' , said it will kill me as its really unhealthy. Mind you same person does not train any sort of sport, sits around watching TV after work, is obese fat, eats take away at least 5-6 times a week, smokes, does party drugs almost every other week end, and drinks alcohol almost daily. Go figure him giving me diet advice.......

Last edited:
Mick had a few people say the same thing to me about the keto diet.
Yup the stronger the reaction to it, the less fit the person - mostly , so far.

I'm down 10kg since xmas , with targeted keto.
Just need to up the training to get stuck into the next 8kg.

10kg is a nice steady loss, I lost 2kg first week, and 1/2 to 1kg every other week, not counted any calories and never go hungry and zero cardio.

Will keep going till I get to where I want to be then try CBL and see if it will maintain my body fat level and gain some strength and muscle. :)

I'll find the link..
Either way there is no magical post workout window..

It was either a YouTube vid or a podcast, I'll look for it tonight

Read the book, listen to the podcasts.

You or me?

I have read the book..

He's protocol has merrit, anything that yields results for people and helps them cannot be sneezed at!!
Your missing my point, I'm not saying that its useless or garbage, more that he has changed his view on the "back" loading to more of a straight loading..
It doesn't work because of any special timing though, over a 24 hour period 2 diets of completely different timing schedules will yield the same results if the overall macro nutrient intake is the same for the given individual

Last edited:
most of these protocols come down to having most of your carbs around the time of your workout, so yep, there is no magic bullet. In the end, it boils down to total macros and kcals that work for you, whatever the goal is.

i tend to have most of my carbs later in the day for two reasons:

1. most days I workout around 5-6pm or thereabouts and

2. I have a carb related food intolerance so find I feel better during the day if I am having my carbs mostly later in the day.

but seriously, have most of them before and after your workout, whenever that is.

Just found this thread :)

For those doing low carb (not CBL) do not forget the importance of refeeds. Amount and frequency will depend on current BF% and how long you are going low carb for. Look up Lyle McDonald's article on it, explains everything.

My go to foods for low carbing are:
salads with shitloads of meat and usually top with sriracha or something like lemon juice & soy sauce.

Making pasta/noodle dishes with slimpasta/konnyaku noodles.

I've done those lettuce leaf burgers that bazza was talking about and that was great.

I also typically have diet jelly & protein sludge or make up some protein fluff. Made some fluff last night with 50g WPC and 90ml egg whites. Could only eat half! I was getting dat dere GH belly :p

I also use cabbage a lot. I will just boil some up in some vegetable stock. Plate it and top with all of the meat. Typically, I add a lot of lite salt to all meals when low carbing to get added sodium & potassium.

Hope that helps

Any links to the refeed thing??

I don't understand refeeds and if you read Atkins for example he suggests if you have carbs you start going backwards and that it stuffs your system up and halts all weight loss instantly.

Any links to the refeed thing??

I don't understand refeeds and if you read Atkins for example he suggests if you have carbs you start going backwards and that it stuffs your system up and halts all weight loss instantly.

Thats why you have to time it.

I agree, I think you need to read the book to do it right.

Want to give this a go in a couple of months. Currently running low carbs for the last 4 weeks, lost 6kg of mostly fat from what I can work out as definition is getting better and gut is getting smaller marginally.

Want to drop another 6-10 kg and then try this.

So far have not lost any strength doing low carb, but get exhausted more by end of workout like I am running out of steam. Also have not made any strength gains and actually feel a bit weaker. But strength is not the point while I am trying to drop body fat, dropping body fat is and it seems to be doing that all while eating like a king.

Have bought several low carb cook books and the Atkins new diet revolution book as well as the Atkins cook book. well worth it as I enjoy my meals, and don't feel like I am missing out on anything by not having carbs. Meal planning is essential though. And not having temptations in the house also helps.

Have plenty of meat, eggs and a large salad and plenty of veggies. So I believe it is also a healthy diet.

I had one friend who has no idea call it 'the most dangerous diet in the world' , said it will kill me as its really unhealthy. Mind you same person does not train any sort of sport, sits around watching TV after work, is obese fat, eats take away at least 5-6 times a week, smokes, does party drugs almost every other week end, and drinks alcohol almost daily. Go figure him giving me diet advice.......

hahaha gotta love the mates that give diet and training advice, Who have never lifted a plate in there life, I had a mate who came over to train at my house one arvo, Brought a 6 pack and a packet of smokes. Refused to lift any free weights and proceeded to use my dusty old machine weight telling me they are designed for the body and work the muscle so perfect.

Then tells me that's protein is only good after a work out because it grows the muscle... He has not been invited back