• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Kettlebell Training

The programming I follow is written by an ex NFL player and it's target audience is current offseason NFL players. He programs some KB stuff for conditioning.

Not sure if you are referring to NFL or AFL when you say footy. But from what I've heard, AFL players run miles for their conditioning. Wouldn't like to be them.

Well looking at how NFL is played I would say its a pretty poor way of conditioning for it.

Yes i was calling AFL footy. Running miles is a smaller part of conditioning these days, i know some clubs dint go over a km. The outright best conditioning by a mile is practice matches. During pre season lots of interval stuff. You are always running in AFL so the bulk of your conditioning traing should be some form of running otherwise your wasting a lot of time and energy getting fit for something you don't ever do on the field.

Wingman WOD
24kg bell/20kg Bell - Men
16kg/12kg Bell - Women

3 Rounds
22/16/10x reps
Front squats
Bent Over Row
Push Ups (Toes or bench, Max effort)

Well looking at how NFL is played I would say its a pretty poor way of conditioning for it.

Yes i was calling AFL footy. Running miles is a smaller part of conditioning these days, i know some clubs dint go over a km. The outright best conditioning by a mile is practice matches. During pre season lots of interval stuff. You are always running in AFL so the bulk of your conditioning traing should be some form of running otherwise your wasting a lot of time and energy getting fit for something you don't ever do on the field.

NFL is a lot about being able to knock someone over and being able to withstand knock over attempts yourself. Strong hips help with this. Kettlebells, (and a few other things so as not to become boring), are good for this. The way it was explained to be was this is an off season program, not a preseason or in-season program. The conditioning is the minimal required just to get you through the strength and speed work, which is the bread and butter.

I agree with you in that I probably wouldn't program them for an AFL player.

Farmers Walk
10mins - For Max distance/Laps

2 x 16kg+ Women
2 x 32kg+ Men

Farmers Walk for full length of permitted space
5 Burpees

Kettlebell exercises are the best . I don't own kettlebells but i've been doing some kettlebell exercises with some dumbbells for extra fitness and conditioning for the football season and its tough! a set of swings then overhead presses straight after kill me! love it

Kettlebell exercises are the best . I don't own kettlebells but i've been doing some kettlebell exercises with some dumbbells for extra fitness and conditioning for the football season and its tough! a set of swings then overhead presses straight after kill me! love it

Awesome work!

Kettlebell Ladder -> every minute do 1 extra rep
e.g.
Minute 1 - 1 rep
Minute 2 - 2 reps
Minute 10 - 10 reps

Works best with swings, snatches and cleans. If your a hard man/woman use a kettlebell in each hand or start at 10 reps.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
typical warm up circuit:
3 rounds non-stop of:
10 prisoner squats
16kg kettlebell x 10 halos clockwise
16kg kettlebell x 10 halos anti-clockwise
16kg kettlebell x 20 swings

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
**Cannonballs - also known as a deadlift-highpull

Circuit x 2-3 rounds - no rest between rounds
16kg kettlebell x 10 swings
24kg kettlebell x 10 swings
32kg kettlebell x 10 swings
48kg kettlebell x 10 swings
16kg kettlebell x 10 cannonballs
24kg kettlebell x 10 cannonballs
32kg kettlebell x 10 cannonballs
48kg kettlebell x 10 cannonballs
16kg kettlebell x 10 deadlifts
24kg kettlebell x 10 deadlifts
32kg kettlebell x 10 deadlifts
48kg kettlebell x 10 deadlifts

Inspired by the RKC Rite of Passage
Clean & Press / Row ladders
1 ladder =
1 Clean & Press Right Hand
1 Clean & Press Left Hand
1 Kettlebell Row Left Hand
1 Kettlebell Row Right Hand
2 Clean & Press Right Hand
2 Clean & Press Left Hand
2 Kettlebell Row Left Hand
2 Kettlebell Row Right Hand
3 Clean & Press Right Hand
3 Clean & Press Left Hand
3 Kettlebell Row Left Hand
3 Kettlebell Row Right Hand

Perform as many as possible

3 rounds of:
100 single hand swings (50 Left, 50 right) @ 16kg
25 kettlebell deadlifts @ 48kg
25 double hand swings @ 24kg

4 round light session

1 minute between rounds

Round 1:
20 swings

Round 2:
20 swings
20 pushups

Round 3
20 swings
20 pushups
20 goblet squats

Round 4
20 swings
20 pushups
20 goblet squats
10 single hand swings right
10 single hand swings left

15 rounds of horror (kettlebell weight of your choice):

Round 1
20 swings

Round 2
20 swings
20 clean & rack

Round 3
20 swings
20 clean & rack
20 pushups

Round 4
20 swings
20 clean & rack
20 pushups
20 kettlebell squats

Round 5
20 swings
20 clean & rack
20 pushups
20 kettlebell squats
20 clean & PRESS

Round 6
20 swings
20 clean & rack
20 pushups
20 kettlebell squats
20 kettlebell press

Round 7
20 swings
20 goblet squats

Round 8
20 swings
20 goblet squats
20 single-hand swings
20 lunge & twist

Round 9
20 swings
20 goblet squats
20 single-hand swings
20 lunge & twist
20 sissy squats

Round 10
20 swings
20 goblet squats
20 single-hand swings
20 lunge & twist
20 duck walk

Round 11
20 swings
20 clean & press

Round 12
20 swings
20 clean & press
20 spiderman pushups

Round 13
20 swings
20 clean & press
20 spiderman pushups
10 crush press

Round 14
20 swings
20 clean & press
20 spiderman pushups
10 crush press
20 kettlebell tricep pushups

Round 15 ** Eccentric swings - regular kettlebell swing, however at the top of the swing get your partner to push the kettlebell down as hard as possible.
10 eccentric kettlebell swings
30 seconds rest
10 eccentric kettlebell swings

Kettlebell Pentathlon
Each round is 6 minutes, with a set reps per minute (not to be exceeded).
5 minutes rest between exercises

Round 1: One Arm Clean (20 reps per minute)

Round 2: One Arm Long Cycle Press (10 reps per minute)

Round 3: One Arm Jerk (20 reps per minute)

Round 4: One Arm Half-Snatch (18 reps per minute)

Round 5: One Arm Push Press (20 reps per minute)

Markos has quite a few kettlebell circuits up on the pro raw forums =)

Hey Adam,

for the 15 rounds of horror, is there any rest in between rounds or you just go for it?

Thinking of doing the pentathlon but not sure my left shoulder will hold up. Would have to be restricted to the 8kg...a bit pointless :(

Hey Adam,

for the 15 rounds of horror, is there any rest in between rounds or you just go for it?

Thinking of doing the pentathlon but not sure my left shoulder will hold up. Would have to be restricted to the 8kg...a bit pointless :(

Rest was timeboxed to 1 minute between rounds, the entire session was completed in around 50 minutes. :D

Also if your interested, the Australian Kettlebell Club is holding the first WKC sanctioned kettlebell comp in Melbourne at the end of April.

The deets are on facebook -
https://www.facebook.com/events/150624465040110/

Let me know if you are interested, I will be doing the pentathlon and it would be nice to have a few friendly faces :)

Rest was timeboxed to 1 minute between rounds, the entire session was completed in around 50 minutes. :D

Also if your interested, the Australian Kettlebell Club is holding the first WKC sanctioned kettlebell comp in Melbourne at the end of April.

The deets are on facebook -
https://www.facebook.com/events/150624465040110/

Let me know if you are interested, I will be doing the pentathlon and it would be nice to have a few friendly faces :)

Thanks Adam! I'm so going to try that 15 rounds ...

My trainer was trying to convince me to have a go at the April pentathlon but I don't think I'm ready for it. Particularly as i have issues with my left shoulder/arm at the moment.
My trainer does so maybe i'm not such a good judge :p

Will let you know! It certainly would be something to work towards!

Good thread :)

I always liked/hated the max swings in a certain time limit. Simple & effective.

I also like to do ladders of:
KB swing/pullup

I usually start from 15 and go down to 1.

ditto on the max swings :)

I usually set a rep target and a time limit e.g. 600 swings in 60 minutes @ 24kg