• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Just a strength poll from another thread

How many lift have you reach in aprox one year? (half the number for women)

• Total voters
I reckon alot of the training routines are ok...but god some people need to learn the JOYS of eating!!!

Most ppl dont eat enough and then wonder why they dont gain weight or increase the weights as fast as they want...

They are normally the ppl that say "yea my diet is spot on" lol

Its not hard to eat a fuck load of food...ive never understood this...I think it comes down to being lazy....I could eat 10,000 cals a day no problem...

thats it joel, thats all it is for most.

im happy with the speed of my progression to be honest. not about the destination, its about the journey.

:p

So I asked this question on the Pro Raw forum, and 83% got it in under 12 months, only 1 lifter is still not there after 18 months.

If your lifting to increase your max, and cant hit them in under 12 months, sack your coach, give yourself an uppercut or start asking questions about your training.

99% of posters on ProRaw are likely to be people who compete in powerlifting, and have a proclivity towards to strength training. Dare I say that part of the reason is because they have some degree of natural talent at it.

If you took a bare novice with no lifting experience who was skinny, older, sedentary and not particularly talented athletically, I would be a bit more forgiving. I have seen plenty of people under proper coaching who haven't been able to hit the figures within 12 months through no fault in their training, programming or attitude.

Where I train is adjacent to a ordinary gym and we've had a number of people have started training because they just wondered in accidentally and were recruited. Some of these guys hadn't lifted a weight in their life. These people are the ones who make the slowest progress. Its actually the bench press I am thinking of most here. If you had lifted weights previously, you probably have a few years of benching behind you (even if it was a less than optimal way of training). But if come from a clean slate, it can take well over a year to put on the necessary mass to hit a 100kg paused bench.

What I like about the 140/100/180 idea is that its a simple message which encourages beginners to just train hard at a simple program centred around the main lifts, without overthinking or complicating things. But... there's no science to it, they are just random numbers.

Case in point...

There's a lifter I know who holds the Australian 66kg deadlift record with 277.5kg@67.5kg (raw) and recently the unofficial IPF raw world record of 271kg @68kg, but his best raw paused bench in comp is 97.5kg. By formula, his rawdeadlift is still one of the biggest ever in any federation in Australia (raw or equipped). He has been training powerlifting for over 10 years and is one of the most robotic trainers I've ever seen - he's like the terminator. It's not his coaches, programming or attitude. The same coaches and programming have trained numerous PL world champions over the past 30+ years. There is a reason why he can't bench 100kg: he's just a very light, long armed skinny guy who isn't a phenomenal bencher. Maybe he would bench 100kg if he put on 5-10kg (which in his case would probably mean eating 2x as much as he does now), but this would probably do more harm to his overall total. Keep in mind, 97.5kg @68kg is still almost 1.5x BW. If a 110kg lifter benched 160kg raw in comp (same %wise), you wouldn't think twice about it, but according to the 140/100/180 theory, this lifter is still a beginner? 100kg bench is just an arbitrary number.

FWIW, I reached 140/100/180 within 12 months of continuous training :p

I just had a look at my old training diary and worked out my lifts.
I nailed the 140kg squat in 2 months but could only manage 132.5kg/ 135kg after that for the rest of the year (had lower back problems).
I nailed a 117.5kg bench 1 week before the year was out.
I completely smashed the deadlift! I deadlifted 210kg in 7 months and continuously pulled 200kg throughout the year.
After that year though I had extreme lower back pain though, went to the physio regularly (which didn't help a great deal) and I had to start from scratch basically as my squat form was out of whack along with other small things. I focused solely on form after that for a few months before building my strength back up again.
I now squat, bench and deadlift a fair bit more than those lifts with no pain in my lower back at all and I only continue to get stronger.

Ok, and of the people who did reach these standards in 12 months: could you do 10 dead hang pullups by then also?

I could, that said, these numbers 140/100/180 are for people whose goal is strength on the big 3 (pl).

If your goal isn't 1rm strength, then these numbers abd this discussion is null and void.

I think people get confused with that.

Some of these guys hadn't lifted a weight in their life. These people are the ones who make the slowest progress. Its actually the bench press I am thinking of most here. If you had lifted weights previously, you probably have a few years of benching behind you (even if it was a less than optimal way of training). But if come from a clean slate, it can take well over a year to put on the necessary mass to hit a 100kg paused bench.

i went to PTC frankston on december 30th 2010, struggled benching 40kg for 8 reps, struggled to squat 55kg, and struggled to deadlift130, no prior training. trained at ptc for 3 months, lifts were; squat 62.5 x10 bench 65kg x1 tng dead was still 130 (had not tested 1rm since first night still) if i remember right i got like 125 for 5

then started to get coached by minh, corrected technique, squatted 120 for 3 within a few weeks. first comp i got 135/75/170

after 12 months getting coached, 162.5/90/192.5 with a bad squat and dead

so after 14 months of training i have added 100 to my squat, 62.5 to my dead.... and only 25 to my bench. still havnt hit a 100 paused bench lol
so there you go, someone with no prior training... and after 14 months of training i still cant bench 100 paused

Ok, and of the people who did reach these standards in 12 months: could you do 10 dead hang pullups by then also?

Yes, I could. Vast majority of that time was on trying to get one though. Once I had one, multiple swiftly followed.

i went to PTC frankston on december 30th 2010, struggled benching 40kg for 8 reps, struggled to squat 55kg, and struggled to deadlift130, no prior training. trained at ptc for 3 months, lifts were; squat 62.5 x10 bench 65kg x1 tng dead was still 130 (had not tested 1rm since first night still) if i remember right i got like 125 for 5

then started to get coached by minh, corrected technique, squatted 120 for 3 within a few weeks. first comp i got 135/75/170

after 12 months getting coached, 162.5/90/192.5 with a bad squat and dead

so after 14 months of training i have added 100 to my squat, 62.5 to my dead.... and only 25 to my bench. still havnt hit a 100 paused bench lol
so there you go, someone with no prior training... and after 14 months of training i still cant bench 100 paused

You saying ptc didnt do much for you?

You saying ptc didnt do much for you?
my technique was neglected at PTC, but im not saying they didnt do much for me, they got me hooked on lifting and got me on the right path (would not of happened if my brother didnt take me in one night). i was just saying that even with coaching and smashing the 140/.../180 ages ago i still havnt paused benched 100, was agreeing with strong enoughs comments about needed more then 12 months to pause bench 100 if you have not had any prior training.

I could, that said, these numbers 140/100/180 are for people whose goal is strength on the big 3 (pl).

If your goal isn't 1rm strength, then these numbers abd this discussion is null and void.

I think people get confused with that.

I was refering to/agreeing with what sticky said...forgot to quote...

I think even ppl who arnt focused on strength get to caught up in numbers...

I love the strength section so let me be mofos lol

Callen if you can't bench bodyweight after 14 months of training, don't you think something is amiss?
I'd sack myself if a client didnt reach a 2 plate bench in 14 months.

I had 2 new clients sign up yesterday. No prior lifting.
If they beat you to a 100kg bench, you should take up knitting.

Their names are drew and sharpie for future reference.

Callen if you can't bench bodyweight after 14 months of training, don't you think something is amiss?

Quoting for future reference, challenges and laughter.

iv been able to bench bodyweight for a while now....
are your clients both 16 with 6ft arms? if yes, if they beat me to a 100kg bench ill send you my eleiko bar in exchange for some yarn and knitting needles :D:p

iv been able to bench bodyweight for a while now....
are your clients both 16 with 6ft arms? if yes, if they beat me to a 100kg bench ill send you my eleiko bar in exchange for some yarn and knitting needles :D:p

Deal.

1 guy is 20, 80kg and has 6ft arms, the other is 140kg and has a lesser ROM.

With that said, long arms are no excuse for a sub-100 bench..... I guarantee my arms are longer than yours.