• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

How long do you train for in the gym?

Yeah takes me an hour to get through my first lift. :p

Fmd. Sound quite beat up! Good onya for still having a go!

485@74kg

2 hours if its the end of the training cycle.
Lots of rest. 2-3min between intense sets

cheers Trent

Last edited:
First post. Hey all.

685 total

220 squat (wraps)
183 bench
282.5 dead

4 sessions a week at 2.5 hours each.

This consists of foam rolling, light warm up, lifting and conditioning (prowler/sled pulling)

As others have said, warming up takes time, longer rest between heavy sets is neccessary.

Mr. Roe?

If you train at a commercial gym and u say u bench 100kg. I usually take 30% off that.

Gotta factor in the half reps and spotters assisting u.

cheers Trent

And I would think 30% is probably being kind to the average commercial gym goer.

Haha yeah thats probably spot on. Had a guy once tell me he could bench 100 for 5. Proceeded to half rep 100 for 5. Possibly not even half rep...i pointed out the lack of ROM and he replied with "its still 100 man..."

I had somebody do a novice bench comp.

Put his openers in as a 160 bench 150 dead.

His arms are longer than mine....

As it was a novice comp, I ran through the rules with everyone before they started warming up. Afterwards, he came over and asked if he could lower his bench to 100kg as he'd never touched his chest, yet alone paused before.

Finished with 120 I think.

I would still be impressed with 120. I remember when I first started lifting weights in a commercial gym don't think I ever saw anyone do over a 60kg bench wether it was assisted, half reps or not.

Spoke to one of the guys that trains at wayne howlets gym recently. Marcus.

Wayne spends 3+ hours apparently. 10min+ rest on them 360 squats.

Then again its elite territory so the training volumes gonna be up there

cheers Trent

Back on the topic. Not saying anyone has to train more if they dont want but I found that a big factor in making my lifts go up.

When I got over the Rippetoe/Wendler induced fear of over training and just started training hard and often my lifts started going up and stalls were less common.

Another thing I found is training the way I enjoy, just doing endless sets of volume is usually not interesting to me. I would rather work up to a heavy set or 2, sometimes more with low reps, then change exercises or do assistance to help with the lift. Traing hard, often and in a way you enjoy is the key for me because if you don't enjoy it why fucking bother.

Last edited:
Back on the topic. Not saying anyone has to train more if they dont want but I found that a big factor in making my lifts go up.

When I got over the Rippetoe/Wendler induced fear of over training and just started training hard and often my lifts started going up and stalls were less common.

Another thing I found is training the way I enjoy, just doing endless sets of volume is usually not interesting to me. I would rather work up to a heavy set or 2, sometimes more with low reps, then change exercises or do assistance to help with the lift. Traing hard, often and in a way you enjoy is the key for me because if you don't enjoy it why fucking bother.
Do you ever find it negatively impacts your football?

Do you ever find it negatively impacts your football?

I only find football impacts on lifting, lifting never really impacts on football. The difficulty of a weights session does not even rate on the scale compared to how fucked I am after a game of footy.

Getting stronger has only helped my footy.

Last edited:
I would still be impressed with 120. I remember when I first started lifting weights in a commercial gym don't think I ever saw anyone do over a 60kg bench wether it was assisted, half reps or not.

?? really.. I was benching 60 strictly within about a month of ever seeing a gym when i was about 16, 100 has proven a much harder sticking point though. (102.5 at present)

First time i went to the gym a couple Maori blokes were benching 50KG DB's :)

I am not sure how this is different from Wendler... the guy is a bit misleading on volume.

The guy's own workouts probably take him 2h or so not to mention his mobility and conditioning work. When he developed his real abbreviated workouts like the Triumvirate, he was recovering from injuries or dieting.

The actual volume he writes in his logs is 2 Main lifts and usually 100 or so reps of Assistance work for each. He doesn't even bother to write down his ab work or the 50-100 chin ups he does each work out. Or even his Main Lift where he will do 4-5 warm up sets before getting into 5/3/1. Not to mention he does Mobility 3x per day.

TBH the volume he actually does vs what he tells people to do is a bit misleading unless you read between the lines.

Take his 5/3/1 for football workouts. By time you do mobility 10-20 min, speed 10-20 min, workout 60-90min, conditioning 20 min. You are looking at a 2h workout pretty easy.

Last edited:
I don't read his log I am just going on what he recommends or used to recommend in his q&a. It may have changed I don't really read it anymore.

By the way I don't really count conditioning, mobility ect stuff as my workouts. They are other extras if they are done.

Last edited:
It has changed more recently with version 2 of 5/3/1 to have much more variety of options including beginners versions etc... but in the end if you have been lifting long enough and you find something that works for now then go for it. and if it stops working try something else.
Me, on the otherhand, need a program of some sort as I am still so new as to be figuring out what to do. hell, I'd love to spend 2 hours at a time just to have more time to try how many interesting barbell exercises that there are.

It has changed more recently with version 2 of 5/3/1 to have much more variety of options including beginners versions etc... but in the end if you have been lifting long enough and you find something that works for now then go for it. and if it stops working try something else.
Me, on the otherhand, need a program of some sort as I am still so new as to be figuring out what to do. hell, I'd love to spend 2 hours at a time just to have more time to try how many interesting barbell exercises that there are.

He has a version 2?