• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Changing from starting stength

Start with 3 sets of 10

As some excercises get heavier 3 x 8

For Squat and flat bench barbell progress to 5x5

Just do what feels good... If you don't like a particular excercise just switch it with another one...

After a few weeks you'll find a combo of excercises that suit you and your gym equipement...

thanks for the info Nazzy been doing what you suggested for the last week really liking it so far

thanks for the info Nazzy been doing what you suggested for the last week really liking it so far

Be sure to come back in the future and focus more work on your squats and deadlifts....

If you wanted to do more legs...One option would be to Alternate...

Mon - Upper body
Tues - Legs
Thurs - Upper body
Mon - Legs
Tues - Upper body
Thurs - Legs

Although I would suggest going back to SS if you could at a later date and squatting 3 days a week...

Good luck... This will keep you busy for a long while...

Once Summer comes around i will have most weekends free so will be able to go back to SS and squating 3 days a week. so will do what you have suggested until i can commit to doing SS properly.

Do you think it would be to much to do:
Mon:upper
Tue:legs
Wed:upper
thurs:legs

or would it be worth trying?

Try it...It becomes a matter of whether or not you can recover in time...

Ideally you would do
Mon:upper
Tue:legs
Thurs:upper
Fri:legs

Naturally this does not suit you... If you could train Friday I would probably steer you towards Markos begginer program anyway...

Ill give it a try see how i recover it may be ok now while the weights are low as it gets heavy i might struggle but had you said early just got to see what works for me.

thanks for all your help

ok well post this in my dairy but thought i would put it in here aswell:

forgot to mention im getting even more confused on what i should be doing again. the more i read the more confused i get.

reason for this:

One of the guys at them gym that i have seen around a fair bit and seems to know what he is talking about (certainly looks like he knows what he is talking about). said he had been watching what i had been doing and asked why i was train etc, etc. he suggest i don't go to failure or close to failure on every set and suggest i researched westside barbells routine, he also suggest i look at some crossfit routines (not sure on this bit and i gather no one here will like it ethier). so after lots more reading i am now confused again.

im thinking maybe i should see the guys that run my gym and get them to outline a plan to suit me and my goals or should i just stick with what i am doing? what do people think?

going to have a better chat with the guy that made the suggestions when i see him next.

Big core lifts mate. train when you can. if your a beginner, you can't really go wrong as long as you include bench, squat and deads. add in chins and overhead. I prefer squats in a reps of 5 and bench for 8, but you got to fiddle around a bit, see what works and feels right..

I think its 'the hamburgler' that is a fan of westside style training, maybe have a look through his log.

A lot of people against crossfit as you know lol, i think wingman and Deep are pro X-fit so you could hit them up.

/thanks mate called into the gym on the way home frfrom work have a sit down sorted for next week with with one of the trainers that competes in bb so hopefully they will help simplify it for me

/thanks mate called into the gym on the way home frfrom work have a sit down sorted for next week with with one of the trainers that competes in bb so hopefully they will help simplify it for me

if your goal is to gain muscle mass, listen to what he has to say. you can't go wrong (too much).

please report back with his advice ;)

it will be her advice.

here is a link to her results

FIONA REED: 2002- Current :: Elitesportz

hopefully she can steer me in the right direction. will report back with what she has to say.

I predict this ends in lots of smith machine, hammer strength and cable work followed by very little results. Please prove me wrong am genuinely interested to see what she recommends. I would hazard a guess she has never heard of ss.

I predict this ends in lots of smith machine, hammer strength and cable work followed by very little results. Please prove me wrong am genuinely interested to see what she recommends. I would hazard a guess she has never heard of ss.

Me too. Lol

Gidday jonesy...

West side is not for beginner's.... A basic program is necessary to build a solid base....

In saying that...... Training around someone who knows what they are talking about could be highly beneficial for you...

Good luck bud.... Let us know what you choose in the end....

Hey, looks like you have had plenty of advice, I have read most of the thread, but I may have missed this but I had to ask:

Is there no way you can fit in a workout either Fri, Sat or Sun? I would make that the priority if possible, rather than confusing yourself with the myriad of split training programs.

For what its worth, I have had experience with chopping and changing programs with slow results, and then getting much faster results doing SS properly. Fatser results is alot more enjoyable! So I would recommend sticking with SS and milking it for all its worth. Rippetoe, recommends 2-3 workouts for a beginner, so 2x a week can still be SS.

If you can't train 3 non consecutive days in the gym, I'd suggest:

Thurs: SS Workout A

Sat: Home bodyweight workout: Single leg squats/lunges etc, pullups/chinups, pushups, or other basic barbell excercises, eg rows, presses (if you have barbell)

To save time, do the home workout as a circuit and you are finished before you know it, so you should be able to fit it in.

Mon: SS Workout B

Tue, Wed: Off, and repeat

Last edited:
My advice to you.

Have a go at Fadi's workout. Stick with it for 6 months. Its great and you really see some progress. Do it twice a week Monday/Thursday. Thats what happened to me half the time because of work and all the rest time helped me lift bigger each time.

Or try this its even easier

Squat 3 x 10
Bench Press 3 x 10
Dead lift 3 x 5
Press 3 x 10

It is what I reverted to and it worked. All lifts feel great and it takes no time to leave the gym.

I'll add that most guys on this forum know a hell of a lot more than i do. This has simply worked for me and imo can work for anyone.

Squat 3 x 10
Bench Press 3 x 10
Dead lift 3 x 5
Press 3 x 10

It is what I reverted to and it worked. All lifts feel great and it takes no time to leave th

Yeah you could do this 2x per week and do light wokouts of 2-3 assistance exercises on the other days.

Abs, assorted rows, back extensions, bis and tris, laterals, bodyweight exercises

Eg. day 1 and 3 do the above workout... day 2 abs 3 sets, seated cable row 3x10, laterals side + rear 3x15-20... day 4 abs 3 sets, upright row 3x10, bi curls + tri pushdowns 3x10

Going very high reps on the light days on 1 of the exercises can pay big dividends too.

Last edited:
theres this program called starting strength. i heard its heaps good.

I bought his book and now he has changed it up a bit and instead of rows is doing power cleans.

Now i'm going to have to spend big money on bumper plates and make room for my power cleans. :p The Mrs is going to be pissed

I bought his book and now he has changed it up a bit and instead of rows is doing power cleans.

Now i'm going to have to spend big money on bumper plates and make room for my power cleans. :p The Mrs is going to be pissed

err he always power cleaned...