• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Changing from starting stength

I still am not understanding why you don't want to run ss is it because you don't want to do a full body on consecutive days. If thats the case, looking at your lifts I think you would be fine back to backing an ss session if the days are critical.

Its a fantastic linear progression programme perfect for those starting out. If you comitt to it without chopping and changing it will serve you well.

The main reason and pretty much the ony reason was thinking I needed to have days break between full body work outs. I am happy to continue ss if I can do it on consecutive days.

Would u reccomened I continue ss or look at something like the blood and gut routine bradsky posted.

I am open to suggestions as I am still very new to this

The main reason and pretty much the ony reason was thinking I needed to have days break between full body work outs. I am happy to continue ss if I can do it on consecutive days.

Would u reccomened I continue ss or look at something like the blood and gut routine bradsky posted.

I am open to suggestions as I am still very new to this

Jonesy, to be honest mate I believe that the blood n guts ( H.I.T) style of training is better suited to the more experienced trainee, not for beginners as I don't think they'd be able to produce the intensity required just yet.

Last edited:
Jonesy, to be honest mate I believe that the blood n guts ( H.I.T) style of training is better suited to the more experienced trainee, not for beginners.

This is why iasked tthe question to u guys with more experance and knowledge than I have.

I am happy to continue on ss 3 times a week as long as I can do it on consecutive days. The way I have read it is that u NEED to have a day off between.

Starting strength definitely requires a rest day....

To start off you will get away with it... Then shit gets heavy...

Will be hard to squat pb's consecutive days...

That's part of the problem im having when I have tried it consecutive days. My squat and df suffer the next day. Im willing to try consecutive days but my legs normally need the day off to recover as it is now.

I guess there is no simple answer to what I want to do. But moday-tue-wed-thursdsy are the days that I can train so would like to figure something out that allows me to do this and progress

there's nothing wrong with starting strength, but it's fairly limited. It's called starting strength because it's for "starting strength".

the lifts in SS are probably the ones that require good form over most others, so you are already doing better than most gym goers, so well done in that sense.

Blood and guts is very low volume, so you really have to get the most out of each and every exercise (as Darkoz mentioned, beginners tend to get more from a high volume routine)

weight lifting is not like flying a jet, you are not going to kill 500 people because you don't have lifting experience. If you use good form and the correct weight, you'll be fine.

Maybe you should do SS mon/wed, and hypertrophy stuff on the other bodyparts tues/thurs.

at least your getting something from both baskets. variety is key, and you don't "need" to do anything , everyone has opinions, you'll find your path.

Here are some 2 day splits I used to use, just aim for higher rep ranges 1 week and lower the next, coupled with SS... you will be superman in no time ;)

Tier 1

Workout 1
Dumbbell Flat bench
Dumbbell shoulder press
Close grip bench
Wide grip pull-ups front
Dead-lifts

workout 2
Alternate Dumbbell curls
Pinwheel Curls
Standing calf raises (barbell)
Lying leg curls
Squats

Tier 2

Workout 1
Incline Barbell
Barbell press to front
Skull crushers
Machine pulls to front
Barbell rows

Workout 2
Barbell curls
Reverse grip barbell curls
Sumo Squat
Leg extensions

Tier 3

Workout 1
Flat bench
Barbell Press to back
reverse grip bench
wide pull-ups to back
Single arm rows

Workout 2
Incline Dumbbell curls
Hammer Curls
Stiff legged dead lift
Hack squat

Last edited:

+1 to this.

When I first started SS I was doing it on a tuesday/thursday/friday split. Easy at first then it gets really difficult. Having to squat back to back on the thurs/friday probably slowed down my progress a bit.

I'm now on a mon/wed/fri split and can definitely feel the difference with the one day rest in between.

i find ss smashes my lower more than it does my upper body. so im going to try ss on tuesday/thursday with more upper body work monday/wednesday. will work out what im going to do monday/wednesday and post it up for your thoughts.

thanks for your helps guys. trying to learn and make it work for me so appriciate your input.

If you were doing lifts x12 you weren't doing starting strength. If your looking to add on some more bulk i'd say stick with starting strength. So many people think of it as a strength only program but nobody sticks to it long enough to reap the long term benefits of both looks and size/looks. If you check my current transformation, all of my gains have come from full body routines.

If i were you i'd stick to a full body variation. Start lifting HEAVY for 5 reps. if your training 2x a week, have 2-3 compound movements per session, body weight movements *Chinups, Dips, Pullups* and 1 or 2 isolations.

A sample could be something like this

Workout A

Bench 5x5
Deadlift 5x5
BB Row 5x5
Pullups (Wide Grip) 3x5
Dips 3x5
Leg Press 4x8

Workout B

Squat 5x5
Military 5x5
Dumbbell Press/Dumbbell Pullover *Alternate weekly* 5x5
Chinup 3x5
Dips 3x5
Barbell Curl 4x8

Guys, before you start recommending low rep training for a beginner, perhaps read Johnsey's goal in his original post.

From my experience. The heavy weight at a lower range of reps will put on size. Strength is the main goal yes but the size comes. I'm still new to the game and i don't really know any other way but in my opinion something like that will benefit most but I haven't tried much else. From what i've seen lots of beginners benefit more from hypertrophy/isolation programs later on after they have reaped the benefits from lifting heavy at the beginning stage of their lifting

Do u have a recommendation Darkoz?

My thoughts are Jonesy that a relative beginner that wants to build muscle is better off training more frequently, moderate weights with medium to high rep range (say 8 to 12) using basic compound movements for all muscle groups, including arms.

More frequency - a beginner generally would not have the capacity or experience for working out with high intensity, therefore his muscles can recover more quickly.

Moderate weights - at this early stage of your lifting it's more important that you master correct form with your exercises rather than trying to lift as heavy as you can which then makes it difficult to work on form.

How you initially structure your routine is up to you and whether it fits in with your lifestyle/commitments.
Perhaps start off with alternating an upper/lower body split, using only 2 different compound exercises for each muscle group, 4 sets for each exercise including warm ups, incrementally increasing the weight with each set.

What's important is that you just lift, be consistent, keep it simple and don't over think everything.

Once you've done this for 6 months to a year depending on your progress, you can then start tweaking and adding different routines to your workout.

Hope this at least helps in some way.

Guys, before you start recommending low rep training for a beginner, perhaps read Johnsey's goal in his original post.

Take a look at his lifts oz regardless of goal he can milk a basic programme for alot longer. Add to that the fact he is struggling to get in the gym more then twice a week , moving to a split is a bad idea. If he misses a session that body part won't get worked for a fortnight.

Typical of all noobs he is already fucking with ripps programme without giving it a chance to work. Bb or pl all over linear progression programmes are a proven thing for noob trainees.

i find ss smashes my lower more than it does my upper body. so im going to try ss on tuesday/thursday with more upper body work monday/wednesday. will work out what im going to do monday/wednesday and post it up for your thoughts.

thanks for your helps guys. trying to learn and make it work for me so appriciate your input.

sound like a good idea to me, Just pick and choose what exercises you want, and go for it.

doing squats 2x a week is heaps, it's not SS to the letter, but you will still get results, and you will start to grow those other muscles you want to grow.

it's not SS to the letter, .

It's NOT starting strength at all, it's an abortion made up programme. Do the programme to the letter and the results will speak for themselves. I just don't understand what makes people think they know better then an accomplished published strength coach.

Read the book, especially the part where Rip says if you fuck with the programme it ceases to be the programme.