• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Changing from starting stength

Jonesy40

Hi everyone.

now im probably going to cope a bit for this but that is ok. looking at moving from SS to a 2 day split ether push/pull or upper/lower or what every you guys recommend really.

now the reasons for wanting to change before i hit the 140/100/180 magic numbers. going back over the last 3 months of doing ss i have only been managing on average 2 workouts a week monday and wednesday normally play golf on a friday and never seem to find time to fit my 3rd workout in, i know i should make time but cant seem to.

so looking at going to a routine that i can do monday/tuesday then repeat wed/thursday. can someone recommend to me a routine that would fit this.

now i dont know 1rm max but here are my stats from last work out

172cm
70kg
squat 85kgx12x2, 85x10x1
Deadlift 95kgx12x3
Bench 55kgx10x2, 55x8x1

Goals are more aimed at looking better than getting stronger.

hope you guys can help.

Cheers

Jonesy

sorry if it wasnt clear mate have been doing Starting Strength for about 2 months or so now and wanting to change because i dont seem to be able to get the 3 workout a week with a days break between them.

so looking at training monday-thursday.

now i dont know 1rm max but here are my stats from last work out

172cm
70kg
squat 85kgx12x2, 85x10x1h
Deadlift 95kgx12x3
Bench 55kgx10x2, 55x8x1

hope you guys can help.

Cheers

Jonesy

These lifts do not represent an SS program...

You could do just upper body Monday and Thursday... Do 3x10 squats once a week in front of Mon or thurs workout...

Or do legs once a week either tues or wed...

These lifts do not represent an SS program...

You could do just upper body Monday and Thursday... Do 3x10 squats once a week in front of Mon or thurs workout...

Or do legs once a week either tues or wed...

thats fair comment on the lifts.

i dont think ive made this very clear i want to train monday tuesday wednesday and thursday. sorry for not being very clear from the start.

so based one what you have said in your above post should i look at body monday/wednesday legs tuesday/thursday, if this is a good option is there a program that you would recommended i follow.

thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Your training for aesthetics

Upper body Mon and thurs
Legs once a week tues or weds...

Should do the trick...

If where me I'd train the following Mon and thurs... Each to there own though

2 chest excercises
2 back excercises
1 shoulder excercise
1 bicep
I tricep

Use compound movements for chest and back...

Last edited:
Your training for aesthetics

Upper body Mon and thurs
Legs once a week tues or weds...

Should do the trick...

If where me I'd train the following Mon and thurs... Each to there own though

2 chest excercises
2 back excercises
1 shoulder excercise
1 bicep
I tricep

Use compound movements for chest and back...

thanks a lot will look at doing this for the next 3 months and see how i go. any recommendations on what specific exercise i should be doing?

Bench, Row, Chins, OH Press, Squat, Dips, Deadlift variation (stiff, romanian etc or any other posterior chain exercise). Other shit you can throw in are lateral raises, your arm stuff, flyes etc though this shit is end of workout stuff if you do add it in.

What are you guys thoughts on this?

Upper body all done 10-12 reps x 3 sets
Flat Bench
wide grip pull ups
incline db press/bench press
upright rows
Military press/seated db shoulder press.
bb bicep curl
Dips

Lower body all done 10-12 reps x 3 sets
Back squat
leg extensions
deadlift
calf raises

Pick any excercise...

Choose stronger movements...

Choose exercises you like doing....

Avoid exercises that lift tiny weights where possible...

I really think you should be looking at a bodybuilding 4 day split if your goals are to build muscle. there are plenty out there. vary your exercises and rep ranges often to stimate growth.

Good luck with your goals.

thanks for the comment Bradsky. could you recommend a 4 day split that is better than the others or should i just do some searching and find one that i like the look of?

i really think you should be looking at a bodybuilding 4 day split if your goals are to build muscle. There are plenty out there. Vary your exercises and rep ranges often to stimate growth.

Good luck with your goals.

no!!!!!!! Squats and milk only!!!!

I could go dig some up. you could have a look, or you could make your own. I like doing all those 8-12 week cycles out there, I will have a look whe I get home later.

Here are a few,

blood and guts doiran yates - 4 days (would recommend!)
Bodybuilding.com - Dorian Yates - Blood & Guts 6 Week Trainer Main Page!

Doggcrapp training - bodyparts split into 2 groups, 3 days a week
The DOGG Pound - IntenseMuscle.com

12 week daily video trainer - pretty much 4 days a week (very random)
Bodybuilding.com - Kris Gethin - Your Trainer And Partner For The Next 12 Weeks! - Bodybuilding.com

5/3/1 - still strength based
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Simplest-Effective-Training-Increase-Strength/dp/0557248299/ref=pd_sim_b_1]Amazon.com: 5/3/1: The Simplest and Most Effective Training System to Increase Raw Strength (9780557248292): Jim Wendler: Books[/ame]

one of my 3 day splits
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnEkrhUK41YPdE5uOFVFaThtX3hnNVB2SnJWRG8zZ0E

6 WEEKS TO SICK ARMS 4 days a week - heavy focus on arms
Bodybuilding.com - 6 Weeks To Sick Arms

I have done all these at lest once, as well as heaps of other circuits and programs. Keeps things interesting and keeps the body guessing. but have a look around, half the fun is getting hyped up for a program that looks good to you.

Here are a few,

blood and guts doiran yates - 4 days (would recommend!)

Doggcrapp training - bodyparts split into 2 groups, 3 days a week
The DOGG Pound - IntenseMuscle.com

12 week daily video trainer - pretty much 4 days a week (very random)
Bodybuilding.com - Kris Gethin - Your Trainer And Partner For The Next 12 Weeks! - Bodybuilding.com

5/3/1 - still strength based
Amazon.com: 5/3/1: The Simplest and Most Effective Training System to Increase Raw Strength (9780557248292): Jim Wendler: Books

one of my 3 day splits
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnEkrhUK41YPdE5uOFVFaThtX3hnNVB2SnJWRG8zZ0E

6 WEEKS TO SICK ARMS 4 days a week - heavy focus on arms
Bodybuilding.com - 6 Weeks To Sick Arms

I have done all these at lest once, as well as heaps of other circuits and programs. Keeps things interesting and keeps the body guessing. but have a look around, half the fun is getting hyped up for a program that looks good to you.

You can't seriously be putting the bb.com 6 weeks to sick arms with the likes of 5/3/1.

Shame on you...

Insert head shakes here.

You can't seriously be putting the bb.com 6 weeks to sick arms with the likes of 5/3/1.

Shame on you...

Insert head shakes here.

Ha, yer the 6 week thing is good for a laugh, not quite in 5/3/1 territory, but it's fun.

Thanks for all the info guys and feed back guys.
going to give the
that Bradsky has recommend a go for the next 6 weeks will keep you update with how i go.

I still am not understanding why you don't want to run ss is it because you don't want to do a full body on consecutive days. If thats the case, looking at your lifts I think you would be fine back to backing an ss session if the days are critical.

Its a fantastic linear progression programme perfect for those starting out. If you comitt to it without chopping and changing it will serve you well.