• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Just a strength poll from another thread

How many lift have you reach in aprox one year? (half the number for women)

• Total voters
also I think torso length plays more of a part in bench than arm length
not using that as an excuse, my bench sucks because I hate bench and prefer to do other lifts instead

I should probably start programming my bench in the same way as my deadlift, maybe then I'd get a bigger bench lol

Deal.

1 guy is 20, 80kg and has 6ft arms, the other is 140kg and has a lesser ROM.

With that said, long arms are no excuse for a sub-100 bench..... I guarantee my arms are longer than yours.
arms are about 60cm from where the bar sits on my palm to where the part where it first meets my torso with arm straight out in front (not retracted)

ran portellis training style for bench last cycle leading up to nats, mid/low rep range, high weight, lots of sets. made decent gains in 6 weeks lol so will run something similar this time round and see how it goes, lower volume doesnt seem to work as well as higher volume does for my bench. thats where iv gone wrong, have been running a fairly low volume bench program. but saying all that i have time on my side, theres no need for me to try and make deadlines for my lifts lol im 16, no need to rush into it and risk injury

Hi ~alex~,

i dont think I've ever met someone named ~alex~ before. How shall i pronounce the ~ ?

To pronounce it with your human mouth would involve ripping my tongue out and peeling off my skin

iv been able to bench bodyweight for a while now....
are your clients both 16 with 6ft arms? if yes, if they beat me to a 100kg bench ill send you my eleiko bar in exchange for some yarn and knitting needles :D:p

Don't sook about arm length for bench cal just measured my arm span and mine is just under 6 foot 9 despite only being 6 foot 2 tall.

Callan, try some bodybuilder training on your chest, triceps, lats, shoulders.

a doggcrapp (DC) style routine might be the ticket to fix your bench.

DO IT!

Don't sook about arm length for bench cal just measured my arm span and mine is just under 6 foot 9 despite only being 6 foot 2 tall.
im not whining, i was just saying you cant really compare people with different levers. someone with short arms has the advantage on bench.

Callan, try some bodybuilder training on your chest, triceps, lats, shoulders.

a doggcrapp (DC) style routine might be the ticket to fix your bench.

DO IT!
yeah, bb style benching was already on the cards, minh said to me to do some bb style benching, inclines, declines, DB ect the other night

You should get it in well under a year.

I have to agree with this.
Though everyone is different hard work and dedication can achieve a lot :)
I started the big 3 lifts after my mate Dan started his journey(thanks mate:))
I remember i went to his place and first time i ever done a DL i lifted 150.
SQ was 120 bp 100.
Got all 3 in well under a year.

SQ was 120 bp 100.
had any prior training for chest/arms?

had any prior training for chest/arms?

8 years ago but not much.
I came to Australia in 2002 and since i got married and had the kids didn't touch the weights at all.
Felt it was time to start again 2 years ago.

SQ was 120 bp 100.
That's an extremely unusual first-time experience for the deadlift, especially if you hadn't been lifting any weights for 8 years (unless perhaps you've had a very physically demanding job in that time to build the strength to achieve that). As an observation, most people -- even those who have a fair amount of general training experience -- shouldn't even be doing 1 plate their first time deadlifting, and everyone I've seen come at it immediately from a sedentary lifestyle couldn't do 1 plate their first time and have it count as a remotely passable lift.

That's an extremely unusual first-time experience for the deadlift, especially if you hadn't been lifting any weights for 8 years (unless perhaps you've had a very physically demanding job in that time to build the strength to achieve that). As an observation, most people -- even those who have a fair amount of general training experience -- shouldn't even be doing 1 plate their first time deadlifting, and everyone I've seen come at it immediately from a sedentary lifestyle couldn't do 1 plate their first time and have it count as a remotely passable lift.
when i started lifting i had just turned 15 (3 months earlier) and dl 130 on the first night and had a stab at 140 but failed it. u would think fully grown blokes would be able to do at least 1 plate....

but saying that i had done a lot of laboring for my dad, brickwork, concreting, digging, different types of carpentry etc.

150 on the first time deadlifting is freaky! lol good work

Last edited:
Nothing freaky mate:)
My job requires plenty of lifting all day so yeah i guess that kept me strong.
I haven't progressed as well as i would like though but slow and steady wins the race i guess.

Nothing freaky mate:)
My job requires plenty of lifting all day so yeah i guess that kept me strong.
I haven't progressed as well as i would like though but slow and steady wins the race i guess.
what do you do for a job? :)

yeah, personally i prefer slow constant gains rather then fast and inconsistent gains, also less chance of injury if you dont try to force things. :)