• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Nick's Anabolic Diet Experiment Log.

I did this diet for almost a year and didn't "feel" any adverse side effects. I made sure to get my fats from good sources like olive oil/flax(dont touch the stuff now) fish oil, nuts/seeds and occasionally things like heavy cream. I refused to trim my steak at anytime though, that's sacrilige. I've never been a big fan of bacon honestly so I kept that to a bare minimum. My training was good, energy was good and I leaned out a bit, know I got a fair bit stronger and was honestly the first time I noticed I had a set of delts. In saying this I never "counted" green fibrous veggies and ate them to my hearts content. Which was a lot. Spinach and me where best pals. I must admit this was mainly because I was and still am a little, carbophobic. It's the dumbest thing, but I still keep in check if I eat too much rice but honestly wouldn't think twice putting down a whole jar of peanut butter.

Anyway at the end of it all I got my bloods done to "be sure" and caus I was curious honestly. All cholesterol, LDL/HDL, triglycerides etc etc where some of the best my Doc has ever seen. This is more than likely caus I'm a healthy young buck anyway and not a decrepid sickly person that I'm sure Doc's are used to seeing. So take with a grain of salt or side of bacon.

I don't eat this way anymore. Carbs and me a begrudging friends.

i did it for close to 3 months, loved the food, lost some weight but my workouts and muscle gains sucked. im a carbs boy till the end ;)

I have no doubt I'll go back to how I was eating, albeit with more of a plan and calorie target level.

You got your first carb load tomorrow don't ya? Got it planned out or just going to wing it? Let's see a shopping list of what you think you'll cram down.

Weight was up to 108.5kg from 107.5kg monday. I have no idea how becase i've been eating exactly the same, even less sometimes if i have a late dinner I will have a big one and skip my pre bed meal. Staying below the carb level too.

All I can put it down to is being back in regular training and packing on the muscle I lost not eating or training over the last 2 months.

Still looking leaner so I guess its still working.

First carb load weekend done!!

Saturday loaded up with oats, fruit and all the good carbs. Sunday went to the snow for a day trip, forgot my camelback and food!!!! Ate what was available which was a pizza, chicken and salad sandwich and some horrible fried chicken at the bonnie doon servo. Finished the day off with heaps of veggies and fruit though. Not perfect but not a total disater.

Stength was great on saturday, MP 90kg for a double (amazed at this after so much time off heavy pressing) and managed 247.5kg x 5 on trap bar deadlifts. And a few of the boys said I was looking leaner. Also Sunday night i looked huge and vascular all over, as if everything was totally pumped, must be the glycogen replenishing, quite cool!

I had an early breakfast meeting this morning and forgot to weigh myself, I'll do it tmw morning and post it all up.

Good stuff Nick. That's probably the cleanest "first" carb load I've ever seen. Most people go to town on junk, realise after the 2nd - 3rd time they do it, it makes them feel like crap and go to cleaner foods. I did it! It was great. How I loved fresh croissants from the Bakery...

You track anything over the weekend or just go by feel? Infact do you track your cal's/macro's at all? Just curious.

Just feel mate.

Should be even cleaner this weekend I'll be home the whole time.

Bodyweight was 109.7kg this morning. I seem to be gaining weight? I don't really mind.
Posted via Mobile Device

As you say, it's how you look in the mirror, not what the scales say. Though it's good to see 'em go up.

Did you stick to the books reccomendation's on carb loading macro wise? I.e - High Carb, moderate Fat, lower protein? After a bit of experimenting I found that keeping the fat low to non-existant and proteing moderate-high and boat load of carbs was a lot more efficient. Not always pleasant but worked better.

I threw the macros out the door on the weekend.

As you seem to have done I'm going high carb but with plenty of protein, keeping fats to a minimum.

My mates who hadnt seen me since I started noted I looked leaner nd I'm noticing more vascularity on shoulder/arms/hands and I seem to be leaner.

Diet is rocking along.

Digestion is back on track with normal regularity.

More definition appearing in most places, particularly arms and shoulders.

Refining the diet more and more. Adding lots of almonds and eggs, removing as much processed food as I can. Also eating lots of ham.

I was looking bigger and more vascular than usual last night so weighed myself this morning, 109.6, naked after a piss, but looking leaner than before.
Posted via Mobile Device

Won't mean anything to people who don't see me frequently. It's not a massive difference just some nice subtle changes.

If I make a huge change I'll post pics.

I do regret not taking initial pics though.
Posted via Mobile Device

Won't mean anything to people who don't see me frequently. It's not a massive difference just some nice subtle changes.

If I make a huge change I'll post pics.

I do regret not taking initial pics though.
Posted via Mobile Device

I think he just wanted to see you nakey :p

Sounds like its working out well for you though Nick. Do you have a target weight in mind or do you just want to stay the same and reduce bf%?

EDIT Just reread the first page. 110kg at 10-12% bf will be monstrous!

Last edited:
Depending on the type of Ham, Nick, be a little careful. If it's the pre-packaged sliced stuff check to see if it's got Nitrates in it. Also in most they're cured with dextrose. It doesn't contribute a whole lot but say you eat an entire pack in a day or something that'd add up bit. But mainly the Nitrate thing.

Or if you get it from a proper Deli it should be fine. I haven't seen a Deli that uses dextrose or nitrates at all. If so, they should stay away from my meat.

Good to see you've made it work for you.

Diet going very well still. Looking leaner and leaner, bodyweight hovering around 109 in the morning.

Strength coming back too. Squatted 180 for 5 3's and mp'd 80x5 the other day.
Posted via Mobile Device

Good stuff. Have you made any adjustments or fine tuned it a bit? As in found out what's really worked for you and what doesn't either carb up or during the week wise?

Repping 180 is no joke.

So i'm using the vein on my right bicep as a measure of how lean i'm getting. It was never there befroe the diet, its now getting more and more visible.

Weight is still 109 in the morning, but I still appear to be getting leaner.

Since monday I've dropped the cals to approx 3900 from over 4000.

Still taking in around 485g of protein per day, but dropped the fat to around 215.

I'm recovering well from workouts still, squats and deads still getting stronger. I reckon I could squat over 220kg with my belt on now. Pressing is still not 100% but considering my shoulder is still not 100% its still ok.