• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Nick's Anabolic Diet Experiment Log.

NPR

So I've decided to try something a little different by having a go at the anabolic diet. Basically its a high fat super low carb cycle diet. During the week I'll be taking in 40% protein and 60% fat with less that 30g carbs, i need to do this for 12 days at the start of the diet, then once thats done on the weekend i will have a 15% protein, 25% fat, 60% carbs mix.

For a detailed description see the link below but essentially it's touted as great for holding muscle while cutting fat.

Anabolic Diet 101: The Definite Anabolic Diet Guide | StrongLifts.com

I have had over 8 weeks off proper training due to holidays and injury (rotator cuff and lower back) and I'll be trialing this diet while attemping to get back to where i was before I took the time off, hopefully with less bodyfat. So goals are same strength as before but simply leaner, I will re-evaluate once I do this.

I can squat and dead heavy again now but the shoulder it not 100% and i need to bench reverse grip.

Basing the calories intake off 110kg (242lbs x 18 = 4350) I will be taking in 4350 cals per day, which is my maintainance level. I also used a cunningham equation which gave me approx 4200 so BWx18 is accurate enough.

This equals 290g of fat per day and 435g protein.

Over my six daily meals this will equate to around 45g fat (after taking into account 20g of fish oil per day) and 72.5g of protein per meal.

I'll workout my high carb days when If I last the 12 days of low carbs!

I'll be taking the majority of my carbs from green leafy veggies but there will be some incidentals from other foods I would imagine.

I'll be using fish oil, protein powder and a fibre supp.

The concensus is you should give the diet 6 weeks to see results. So this is the timeframe I'll start with.

I'll weigh and take photos first thing monday morning and keep updating this thread with my progress.

I've got a good few years experience with the AD, though not currently using it now. Absolutely love the diet/way of eating as long as you've got your fat sources in check and don't start destroying cheese and bacon left right and centre you should see great results. Infact I made my best ever gains using this diet while training 6-days a week. Took my Squat from 135kg x 12 >>> 150kg x 10, though back then I think the depth would've been questionable! Anyway, good luck with it I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Here's a bit of info if ya need at all. Should cover any and all questions if you get 'em.

My Experience on the Anabolic Diet I: http://tnation.t-nation.com/free_on...upplements/my_experience_on_the_anabolic_diet

My Experience on the Anabolic Diet II: http://tnation.t-nation.com/free_on...ts/my_experience_on_the_anabolic_diet_part_ii

My Experience on the Anabolic Diet III: http://tnation.t-nation.com/free_on...he_anabolic_diet_part_iii?id=3251449&pageNo=0

First two are about 350 pages each. The first 50 pages of No.1 are a must.

Lots of quality info.

Also this is a pretty handy article for anyone looking to get started as it goes over the basics:

Eat Like A Man Part I: http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_a..._anabolic_diet

Eat Like A Man Part II: http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_a..._anabolic_diet

Last edited:
4350 Calories? Thats a buttload! Reckon you could post up what you would generally eat in a day? I'm quite interested to be honest. But good luck! I may try that one day, as I seem to be pretty sensitive to carbs.

Cheers Iron Alliance. I've read almost all the stuff you have posted. I will be trying t get as much fat as possible from olive oil, fish oil and red meat. Having said that I will certainly be smashing the cheese and bacon!

Gareer 4350 is maintainance cals for me. I've posted up mys usual eating before, I really CBF'd posting it all again. Check for posts under my name, i'm sure you'll be able to find it.

I'll post up a days eating once i get into the swing of this diet. I'm starting it tmw morning.

Prob just a shade under 110kg. Which is the weight i used when setting up the diet. I'll weigh myself tmw morning to get an accurate number but prob wont adjust the diet. I'm just hoping it can get me to around 110kg, same strength but around 10-12%bf.

Awesome, will be keeping an eye on this

looking forward to when you post up the details of a days eating as im a similiar weight ( 105kg) but have never calorie/macronutrient counted

Awesome, will be keeping an eye on this

looking forward to when you post up the details of a days eating as im a similiar weight ( 105kg) but have never calorie/macronutrient counted

+1

Keen to see how you go with this Nick. Will be interesting to know how much your energy levels differ with no/little carbs in your diet for that first period.

Will you be doing any cardio with this such as HIIT?

Also around the same bodyweight (107kg) although i would be carrying a lot more fat than you too.

4350 calories is huge. Im currently on 2500 lol.

No worries Nick. I must admit there is nothing better than a 12 whole egg cheese and bacon omlette in the morning. I also had a habit of adding Peanut Butter to nearly everything. Especially chicken stirfry's. Best.

I'm not sure how you'll want to do it, but after the "introductory" 12-days, I wouldn't bother counting fiberous greens to your total. You'd have to eat kilo's of it to make any difference what so ever and there's too many benefits to eating them as opposed not to. I mean 1 extra little broccoli floret aint gonna screw up your diet. But that's just how I did it.

Oh, feta cheese and olives. Greek Omlette. Thank me later.

Weighed in at 108 first thing in the morning. Going to keep the diet plan the same for at least 4 weeks.

Diet today

80g whey, 150ml thickened cream

300g silverside, 5 slices cheese

250g rump steak with fat, steamed green beans and broccoli, 2 tablespoons olive oil

double quater pounder with bacon, no bun or sauce

chicken thighs with bacon, steamed greens, fish oil

whey and thickened cream again

energy is fine, workout today was great, the food prep is the only thing pissing me off

stay tuned.
Posted via Mobile Device

the AD is IMHO one of the best...shall i say 'diets'. It lay's it out straight. I bought the book for powerliftings. It's one of the best books i've ever bought.

Wow i didnt expect your days eating to look like that. Do you mix the whey in the cream and just eat it with a spoon?

I mix the whey in a tiny bit of water then mix in the cream.

Day 2 has been almost the same food wise. Except I had 8 eggs and bacon fried in butter for breakfast, had my whey and cream mid morning.
Posted via Mobile Device

make sure you get enough fibre as keto can leave you a bit blocked up, ive done some of the biggest shits in my life on carb up days! psyllium husk is great as its straight fibre so the carbs dont count.

fiber is obviously paramount when on a keto type diet. Blocking the tubes up isn't.

There was a stage for my PWO meal I'd mix in around 35g of chocolate whey with cream...and slam that down. It was just like having no cake...just icing!!

Hahaha it's not that bad.

I do get some odd looks when I neck olive oil straight from the bottle at my desk though, and when I eat only the burger filling at maccas.

I'm smashing the fibre supps do don't worry about that boys. Also only counting net carbs from my green veggies.

Too many carbs. 8.9g per 100g. It's damn hard getting 4300cals with less than 30g of carbs a day.

I'll stick with chugging olive oil.
Posted via Mobile Device

Remember you're a big guy Nick and that instances like your's, eating so much, it becomes difficult to keep carbs at 30g. I had the same thing.

If you notice in the book carbs are actually 5%, so of 4300cal = 53g of Carbs.

I'd round that down to an even 50g. Now the thing is, this is a theoretical "you can go this high" but I never really did, 40g once or twice in the 5day period maybe but you end up eating so much protein/fat that even if there is a slight deviation from that it's well and truly neglible. Plus it'll be from either a fat source such as nuts or a fiberous vege source, which either aren't exactly going to restore glycogen stores or spike insulin very efficiently. Just sayin' don't sweat it, I doubt you will anyway.

If you don't have the book I've got the original Anabolic Diet and The Anabolic Solution in pDF if you want 'em?