• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
I really think you need to take your own advice.

[h=2]Does chewing affect the glycemic index of a food?
Asked by kevinhefer on Oct 12, 2010 in Nutrition[/h]
[h=2]Answer[/h] Chewing does not affect the glycemic index (GI), which is a measure of how carbohydrates affect blood sugar levels. When eaten alone, simple sugars and refined starches enter the bloodstream quickly to raise blood sugar, while most high-fiber complex carbohydrates enter the bloodstream slowly. But even poorly chewed food is pureed in the stomach when the muscles churn and the food is mixed with gastric juices and hydrochloric acid. Still, the stomach has to work harder to digest unchewed food because digestive enzymes in saliva and other triggers are bypassed. Some incompletely digested food may pass into the colon where it is broken down by bacteria that produce flatulence. Furthermore, incompletely chewed chunks of food may cause choking. Research also shows that chewing triggers hormones that curb hunger for a longer time.

I really think you need to take your own advice.

All that proves is that person has just as little clue as you.

GI is a measure of how fast glucose enters the blood stream. Very well chewed food has a much larger surface area. It can be broken down quicker and enters the blood stream quicker than large chunks of food.

I’ve talked about glycemic index in previous articles but in a nutshell, this means that well-chewed bread or pasta would cause a higher rise in blood sugar than poorly chewed starches.

Grinding, rolling, pressing, or chewing can affect the Glycemic Index, and so does the application of heat and moisture. Another major issue in the use of the Glycemic Index for the control of diabetes or obesity is the fact that the Glycemic Index is an Index of the test of a 50-gramcarbohydrate dose of food.

Here is a good one for you. From the encyclopedia of human nutrition

For many foods, their glycemic index is determined by the process of chewing and swallowing. Chewing can reduce particle size, which increases absorption rates.

Here is a study on the change increase in GI due to chewing rice more.

Glycaemic variability challenges the accuracy and use of the glycaemic index (GI). The purpose of the current study was to determine the role of mastication on GI. Using a randomized, controlled, crossover, non-blind design, 15 healthy young subjects returned on 5 separate days for three glucose and two rice test sessions. At the rice sessions, subjects chewed each mouthful either 15 or 30 times. Rice chewed 15 times produced a total glycaemic response (GR; 155 mmol min/l), peak GR (2.4 mmol/l) and GI (68) significantly lower than when chewed for longer (30 times) (184 mmol min/l, 2.8 mmol/l and 88, respectively). The study shows that the GI of rice is affected by the degree of mastication. Chewing 15 times compared with 30 times significantly attenuates the GI, suggesting that mastication may potentially contribute to the glycaemic variability of rice. While future work must establish the extent and limits to which mastication affects glycaemia, it could also explore the potential of using mastication to reduce the glycaemic load of rice.

Do you want more?

Last edited:
Summary:

CttqvE6.gif

- Eat "good/clean" foods most of the time - steak, chicken, fish, veggies, rice, oats - fuck you know the drill
- Eat some junk here and there (fuck currently I do it everyday while I am not cutting)
- Train hard
- Drink plenty of water
- Get some good sleep

Not rocket science, does not need science articles backing it, just keep it simple and you will get results - everyone is different - but you can never get away from the basics of getting bigger and stronger.

That was one study done on only rice; the same type of rice. There is nothing there saying that a high GI food will become low GI if you don't chew it properly, or that low GI rice will be absorbed like white rice if you repeatedly chew it. Either way it goes against the study I posted, so why should I take that study over all the others?

Like I said earlier in the thread, do what you want, but are you getting the results you want? Excessively chew your food, consume as much sugar as you want at any time of the day. Are these things working for you?

That was one study done on only rice; the same type of rice. There is nothing there saying that a high GI food will become low GI if you don't chew it properly, or that low GI rice will be absorbed like white rice if you repeatedly chew it. Either way it goes against the study I posted, so why should I take that study over all the others?

Like I said earlier in the thread, do what you want, but are you getting the results you want? Excessively chew your food, consume as much sugar as you want at any time of the day. Are these things working for you?

Again you get things wrong and try and change what I say to suit your argument.

I didn't say chewing turns low GI food into high GI. I said chewing more will increase the GI. Which it does.

You didn't post a study. You posted someone's uneducated opinion.

My results are fine.

Hey all just bit confused on what to look for in cereal. I know high sugar ones are bad but what else? all bran? wheat pix?
Looking for oats alternative.
thanks

I think oats just cannot be beat as a cereal.

soakem over night, add yogurt and other bits and pieces, that you like and eat, easy.

Again you get things wrong and try and change what I say to suit your argument.

I didn't say chewing turns low GI food into high GI. I said chewing more will increase the GI. Which it does.

You didn't post a study. You posted someone's uneducated opinion.

My results are fine.
You also said GI is a waste of time and has no meaning. You seem to make vague claims, then when someone disputes it with research, you just deny it.

You also said GI is a waste of time and has no meaning. You seem to make vague claims, then when someone disputes it with research, you just deny it.

Again making stuff up. I didn't make vague claims. I said chewing changes GI. Which it does. I posted research which shows this.

I'll say it again you didn't post research. Where is the research? You posted up someone's opinion.

How do you not know the difference between research and an opinion?

Come on mate. You need to do better than that.

It's as simple as particle size influences speed of absorption. If you can't work that out you are beyond help.

I'm sorry your beloved GI is as good as worthless at helping you achieve your goals.

Last edited:
I get most of my carbs from spoonfuls of refined sugar for breakfast, but I do mix it with dripping first...but I do chew it a lot also......sometimes I'll stand on my left foot only while I eat this....what does this mean for the GI? What about glycemic load? Is my pancreas going to fall out?

I get most of my carbs from spoonfuls of refined sugar for breakfast, but I do mix it with dripping first...but I do chew it a lot also......sometimes I'll stand on my left foot only while I eat this....what does this mean for the GI? What about glycemic load? Is my pancreas going to fall out?

It means GI isn't worth giving a second thought.

Again, you say that GI is worthless (will be disputed by you saying I just made it up). To say it's worthless means you clearly don't understand how GI affects carb absorption. And chewing food having an impact on carb absorption doesn't discount high vs low GI food. On one hand you're saying chewing affects the GI of food, then on the other you're saying it doesn't matter. So which is it?

[MENTION=6722]Bazza20[/MENTION]; & [MENTION=15941]steveP[/MENTION]; just agree to disagree. Just going around in circles now.

Again, you say that GI is worthless (will be disputed by you saying I just made it up). To say it's worthless means you clearly don't understand how GI affects carb absorption. And chewing food having an impact on carb absorption doesn't discount high vs low GI food. On one hand you're saying chewing affects the GI of food, then on the other you're saying it doesn't matter. So which is it?

So now you are accepting chewing food has an influence on GI? Lol.

No surprise you are confused again. I say GI is affected by chewing which it is.

Following GI won't have an influence on your results because it won't. It's not what's important. When eating a meal GI is irrelevant.

Again even the ripeness of fruit effects GI. How well you cook food. It's too variable to predict and the information is useless for increasing results.

Again sorry your GI love is all for nothing