• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Training for the long term...

nazzysmith

kuncesmith
At what point does ones training become a concern for the long term.... And can it create future problems in later years...

I note that squatting causes problems with my right elbow... It's an ongoing issue that I'm going to have to get addressed....

OHP use to cause me issues in my left shoulder but I have over come that through shoulder mobility drills...

Same with squats.... Use to have a lot of issues with mobility.... But I've over come these by addressing my mobility issues directly...

However as the weights increase I'm curious as what is install for the long term...

Will there be ramifications for me in my grey years from over doing squats, deads, bench and Ohp?

This is precisely the same 30-yr experiment I want to perform on my own body.

I've always been inspired by the 70-yr-old lifters who are still doing comps. Wrt the topic, they demonstrate that you don't have to be crippled by a long lifting career.

You'd think that the elite-level lifters are going to suffer more long-term effects than enthusiastic amateurs just due to the sheer tonnage they lift. So you'd have to normalize for that in your investigations

I still do all of the above.

I'm loving the higher rep range, but I still throw in lower now and again.
I still want to train into my eighties, and the wonderful thing about this is that goal is always changing.
For help I have a group of blokes older than me that I follow for advice.
Always have.

My thoughts-
The benefits I gain now out weigh issues that could occur further down the track...

I only started squatting 18months ago... Can't believe I wasted half my life with such a piss weak rear posterior chain.... Not to mention the numerous mobility issues I've over come...

But I'd like to try nail a 180kg bench in a couple of years... These types of extremes make me wonder...

Yup...

If a person was to build a 200kg plus squat... Will there be ramifications in later years?

Knees?
Lower back?
Hips?
Shoulders?

If a person squats 200kg for reps consistently, adding a bit here and there over the years, then they will be as strong as they are ever going to be.

What gets you is the ability to recover, and more importantly the time it takes between workouts.
This is something that I really need to be aware of.

I've scaled back the weight on Squats, Deads and Power Cleans and really concentrating on form, due to longevity concerns for my knees, back and elbows.

Squat booty vs flubber!!!

Squats for the win!!!!

lol my recent experience is telling me that other things build up squat booty faster than squats, but squats are good too.

i think like any sport, lifting can and does lead to a greater body awareness and testing of one's limitations (and this means injuries from time to time).

injuries can take their toll later in life in that they can lead to arthritis, especially in joints etc.

but overall, I'd rather be working out smart and safely into old age than sitting on the couch.

no flubber is good :)

Im 42 and am stronger than Ive ever been, I don't deadlift but I squat, bench and push press, lifting more all the time (little amounts). I asked the trainer at the gym the same question and all he said "you feel alright dont you, dont worry about it" The biggest dude in our gym is 54 years old, me at 42 would nearly be the second biggest. Im a firm believer in listening to your body, for instance I am on my 3rd day off from the gym, Ill go tomorrow but I had few hard weeks, body said take a break. My belief is the only way you will get long term issues is if you dont allow enough recovery time or train while injured.

Im 42 and am stronger than Ive ever been, I don't deadlift but I squat, bench and push press, lifting more all the time (little amounts). I asked the trainer at the gym the same question and all he said "you feel alright dont you, dont worry about it" The biggest dude in our gym is 54 years old, me at 42 would nearly be the second biggest. Im a firm believer in listening to your body, for instance I am on my 3rd day off from the gym, Ill go tomorrow but I had few hard weeks, body said take a break. My belief is the only way you will get long term issues is if you dont allow enough recovery time or train while injured.

Agreed...

Although chasing big numbers conflicts with this and see's the lifter regularly pushing the envelope...

Exercising with weights is the fountain of youth, it can only make your body better now and into old age.
How you workout with those weights though is a different matter.

Last edited:
Yeah you only live once & you've gotta do what you love!
There's a lot worse things we could be doing with our time than lifting heavy weights.