• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Training for the long term...

OHP use to cause me issues in my left shoulder but I have over come that through shoulder mobility drills...

Same with squats.... Use to have a lot of issues with mobility.... But I've over come these by addressing my mobility issues directly...

^^ Here's another angle: Look at how "mobility" comes up again and again.

My own experience is the same - lack of mobility has been the reason underpinning my bad form and hence injuries over the last couple of years; in many cases, improving my mobility has been the key to recovery and not suffering recurrences (touch wood)

So lifting has uncovered these issues for me, which would have otherwise lain undiscovered, and no doubt gotten worse of the years, given my desk job. That's gotta be worth a lot - going into the future with a practical (not just magazine article) awareness of posture, hip and shoulder mobility, and the tools to maintain and improve it.

Yes you will suffer some wear and tear if you push the envelope. You joints may ache more compared with some one who has been sedentary.

That is price we pay to avoid being mediocre.

The body can continue to handle heavy weights well beyond 40, 50, 60, 70 years of age.

Studies on cadavers of former weightlifters found the tendons were thicker and the joints were actually in better condition than non athletes.

Aging lifters will lose much of the stretch reflex and should steer away from ballistic movements, or extreme range of motion exercises such as ATG squatting. The body also needs a bit more recovery time.

Some people choose the endurance disciplines and look like leathery old coat hangers. Their connective tissue problems are probably going to be far worse than the strength athlete of the same age, due to the repetitive and destructive nature of their exercise.

You need strength more than you need endurance on an aging body. Very little of what we do in everyday life requires us to tap into aerobic pathways.

Exercising with weights is the fountain of youth, it can only make your body better now and into old age.
How you workout with those weights though is a different matter.

Heed this advice

If you start young, work hard and you are consistant, You'll hit your peak at 40.

A lot of powerlifters peak well into there 40s.

Of course Bazza we're all different, some will peak at 40, others later and others much earlier.
However, one thing holds true for all of as Goosey mentioned, the sooner you start resistance exercise the better off you'll be.

Last edited:
^^ Here's another angle: Look at how "mobility" comes up again and again.

My own experience is the same - lack of mobility has been the reason underpinning my bad form and hence injuries over the last couple of years; in many cases, improving my mobility has been the key to recovery and not suffering recurrences (touch wood)

So lifting has uncovered these issues for me, which would have otherwise lain undiscovered, and no doubt gotten worse of the years, given my desk job. That's gotta be worth a lot - going into the future with a practical (not just magazine article) awareness of posture, hip and shoulder mobility, and the tools to maintain and improve it.

Without flaming the PL vs BB argument all over again...

One of the reasons I'm such a strong supporter of PL training is that it teaches you so much more about the basic lifts... I have found this invaluable in my training regime...

The biggest win I've had from visiting PTC was all the mobility stuff.... It really does make a significant difference...

To be honest I find mobility stuff totally overrated. Can't say I have ever found a specific mobility exercise that has ever done anything for me.

The best mobility exercise is usually just full range of motion weight training.

To be honest I find mobility stuff totally overrated. Can't say I have ever found a specific mobility exercise that has ever done anything for me.

The best mobility exercise is usually just full range of motion weight training.
That's probably a sign that you've had reasonable mobility to begin with, and training through your full ROM has maintained or improved it. Certainly a good thing if that's the case.

Thataboy.

Try being over 40

easy to say when you dont have a plethora of issues that slow your progress

Ive never missed a lif because i wasnt mobile enough

oh boy.... here we go again.

Obviously you work on mobility to enable you to do things. For me, the longer I have trained the more important mobility work has become. Its typically corrective or aimed at rehabilitation. I'm pretty sure I'd be finished if I didn't do mobility work. I've been powerlifting training since 1987 and I dont have any ongoing issues. My knee health now is better than it was when I was playing rugby in the 1990s. However, I have a range of issues that come up now and again and stretching, mobility work and some rehab/prehab drills help me there.

Last edited: