• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

The protein issue

Nutrient Timing by Ivy is very good, explains it all very well with lots of references. Buy it, read it then head to the library and read the references as well and you'll get a very good idea of how the body works

Muscle glycogen synthesis after exerci... [J Appl Physiol (1985). 1988] - PubMed - NCBI
y48Cv9k.png

4KM4COT.png

6ICGbjm.png

P3KoV9o.png

j1mSn9l.png

There are plenty of other studies like this as well, also one's that show you remain insulin sensitive for longer with carb and protein refeeds post exercise.
It seems very high tech and fancy but only a little is needed. Shakes are good because post exercise a drink is easy to get down but any food is good really. Shakes are not needed at all. A couple hard boiled eggs and some M&Ms would be good. I like eggs because they are highest in glutamine and leucine. Leucine is the main stimulator of protein synthesis (even more than insulin). I just drink a scoop of whey with 1g of leucine added before and during training then some BCAAs that I won at a meet after when I drive home

If you're keto adapted like I am, blood glutamine and leucine levels will be very high indeed at all times. I can't find any real data on insulin sensitivity during this time though. It probably doesn't matter as much when keto adapted anyway because your insulin won't be spiked that much. Again, LEUCINE is the stimulator of protein synthesis so in keto getting your insulin up won't matter that much for you guys

Fuck me, I may never eat again

The only simple pleasure I have left is taking a dump and chances are some little toss pot will complicate the shit of that too.

With higher IGF levels the body is in constant growth mode, new cells, rapid expansion and more chance for things to go wrong at the cellular level etc.

With lower IGF levels the body "switches" to maintenance and repair.

This was all taken from a documentary, while although the science was there, was adapted for viewing purposes.

was wondering if someone would post this in response to the "nothing wrong with too much protein" comments earlier in the thread

high IGF-1 levels are associated with increase risk of cancer, diabeties and a range of other chronic illnesses

just something to be aware of.. I'm currently playing around with trying to incorporate some fasting days between training.. (not preaching, i'll drink a can of coke zero instead of regular coke pretty much every day of the week, figure future me can deal with the aspartame caused cancer)

Fuck me, I may never eat again

The only simple pleasure I have left is taking a dump and chances are some little toss pot will complicate the shit of that too.

Do not shit within 3 hours before or after a workout as you will go into a catabolic state and your gains will be shat out of your ass hole.

Whatever happened to eating a handful of meals aday, having some carbs after training, keeping protein fairly high (1-1.5g per pound of bw), training with the basics etc etc...

There are so many diet variations these days, fasting, iifym, low carb, high carb, stick it in your ass carb etc etc etc etc...

Keep things basic - follow the simple basic structures that have been shown to work through real-life results and not in a lab in some uni and just train hard...

Alot of people will sit here looking for a secret or an easier way to do something just to simply justify the fact that they know their not putting the work in where it counts.

I think discussions about different forms of dieting are interesting but at the end of the day if you stick to basic methods that have been shown to work you will get results and the results will only be limited by how much effort you put in.

Whatever happened to eating a handful of meals aday, having some carbs after training, keeping protein fairly high (1-1.5g per pound of bw), training with the basics etc etc...

There are so many diet variations these days, fasting, iifym, low carb, high carb, stick it in your ass carb etc etc etc etc...

Keep things basic - follow the simple basic structures that have been shown to work through real-life results and not in a lab in some uni and just train hard...

Alot of people will sit here looking for a secret or an easier way to do something just to simply justify the fact that they know their not putting the work in where it counts.

I think discussions about different forms of dieting are interesting but at the end of the day if you stick to basic methods that have been shown to work you will get results and the results will only be limited by how much effort you put in.

Basic is good

spot on

Yeah

What is optimum?
Good question, but if we don't strive to fund out what it is we will always be mediocre.
Keep learning, keep experimenting, don't settle for basic.

What is optimum?
Good question, but if we don't strive to fund out what it is we will always be mediocre.
Keep learning, keep experimenting, don't settle for basic.

But, and in most cases, for most of us.."what is optimum" turns out to be basic, or simplistic?

But learning, reading and experimenting is spot-on.