• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

The protein issue

0ni

Registered Rustler
I've seen this a lot lately and honestly I find it hilarious.
People have been having doubts, even CRITICIZING others for "too much protein".

"There is no way you can use that much protein"
"That much protein? What's the point?"
"Why would you need that much?"

Well when you need to eat to get a certain caloric value, you can either do one of these things:
Increase protein
Increase fats
Increase carbs

Take a look at this thread:
http://ausbb.com/nutrition-diet/8999-4000-calories-muscle-diet.html
P=220g @ 22% C=467 @ 46.5% F=140 @ 31.5%

That's 467g of carbs a day. Can you see a single recommendation about the carbs here? No "your body can't possibly but all those carbs to good use", No "This will get you fat" and nothing about insulin spikes indiscriminately putting those carbs and fats all throughout your body. Spiking your insulin then taking in 140g of fats is a bad idea generally.

Why is excess carbs seemingly OK but excess protein the end of the fucking world? Why do people always try to get away with the LEAST protein that they can? You "only need" 2g/kg in protein so why eat more right? How many carbs do you need to spike your insulin sufficiently to shuttle nutrients into your body? 450g? How about 30g?

It's not even as if eating 400g in protein is that difficult during a day. I could understand it if it was some mammoth task but it isn't. We are talking 2kg of chicken wings plus a large protein shake. This is so easy to get down it's not even funny. It works out HIGHER in calories too and will give you favourable insulin sensitivity. But this isn't about what is better- it's about people's issue with eating protein. What is so bad about eating protein?

Carbs are beneficial too.

Excess protein doesn't make you hardcore. Just gets broken down and you piss it out.

Protein is expensive so eating excess is a waste of cash.

Fuck wings. Overrated. Too much bone. According to calorie king 2kg whole raw wings (57% is edible meat and skin) 185g protein 2500 calories.

I cut on 400g carbs a day and it worked shit loads better than less than 100.

Carbs are great for sparing muscle on a cut. They can be very filling, which is beneficial on a cut. They help keep energy up, again very beneficial on a cut.

Why ketosis. Its unnecessary to lose fat, it fucking sucks. Performance suffers badly for most people.

What are the negatives of too much protein?
People HAVE been saying that the protein was excessive. There is no question about this
If you like carbs then eat carbs- this isn't about this. It's about people's legitimate fear about really chowing down the protein. It's borderline hilarious

What are the negatives of too much protein?
People HAVE been saying that the protein was excessive. There is no question about this
If you like carbs then eat carbs- this isn't about this. It's about people's legitimate fear about really chowing down the protein. It's borderline hilarious

Cost.

Excess protein at the expense of other beneficial nutrients.

Fear??? No.

I have no idea why people only want to hit minimum amount of protein needed. I like meats aka protein, which is calories, and it fills me up. So that is why my protein is higher than the recommended/minimum amount. Each to their own

Protein isn't expensive bazza
What nutrients am I missing out on by eating high protein? Why can't I just eat them as well?

Protein isn't expensive bazza
What nutrients am I missing out on by eating high protein? Why can't I just eat them as well?

Mate only so many calories you can fit in in one day.

Protein is more expensive than carb sources.

I understand your argument completely 0ni however, the thing is though is that no-one here is saying that too much protein is bad for you, it's just that excessive amounts are not necessary.

It all just comes down to personal preference, some like a lot of carbs while others like more protein.
I myself don't like or eat a lot of starchy carbs because I feel bloated and just generally feel like shit after eating them, the bulk of my carbs comes from vegetables and the rest of my diet is meat and fat.

Your preferred diet of lots of chicken, meat etc. is fine but the problem is it completely lacks in vegetables, add plenty of vegetables in there and I then don't see a problem with the way you eat.

I eat lots of flowers like kale, broccoli and cauliflower (they are the same species!)
Lots of spinach too
Not a fan of beans though
When I am not counting carbs again I'll be smashing back the starches for sure. Not really the best thing in my diet at the moment though

Excess protein makes your liver work much harder than it needed to, to piss it out, then you got to waste more money on shit like milk thistle just to straighten it back up.

Excess protein makes your liver work much harder than it needed to, to piss it out, then you got to waste more money on shit like milk thistle just to straighten it back up.

You couldn't be more wrong if you tried. You don't piss out excess amino acids, the body uses gluconeogenesis to convert them to glucose which is stored as glycogen or used for energy. Excess liver stress? Not even going there