• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Shin splints theory

SWH

Was watching a video on a cause of shin splints which i've been suffering since the start of the year. The video suggests that they may be caused by a lack of abdominal strength or failure to use the core correctly while running. While this doesn't make much sense to me has anybody else heard of this theory before? And also if this is true is there any videos or can anybody explain how to do this as the video doesn't explain so?

I'm looking for anything to fix my shin splints at the moment, i've had a lot of time to rest them although they don't seem to be going away. All advice appreciated

Nope, but I've read a lot of articles which suggest it is because of bad form of running and thanks to the development of the modern running shoe. The theory goes as such...

In normal/barefoot running before the development of the huge heel running shoe, people landed on their mid foot/balls of feet. Landing on the front of the foot engages your calf muscle. It acts like a shock absorber, taking out the shock. Think of running this way as having nice suspension in the car. Now with the modern running shoe it's like removing this suspension and replacing it with with thin strips of foam. I don't think anyone would like to ride that way.

The techniques to run both ways is very different as well. The old way you have to lean your body forward more, allowing yourself to fall over forward. It's more of the way sprinters run. Anyway, after 3 knee surgeries and having very little knee left, that's the only way I can run. If I slam my heels down, I will not be able to walk for weeks since my knee will become the size of a balloon.

Nope, but I've read a lot of articles which suggest it is because of bad form of running and thanks to the development of the modern running shoe. The theory goes as such...

In normal/barefoot running before the development of the huge heel running shoe, people landed on their mid foot/balls of feet. Landing on the front of the foot engages your calf muscle. It acts like a shock absorber, taking out the shock. Think of running this way as having nice suspension in the car. Now with the modern running shoe it's like removing this suspension and replacing it with with thin strips of foam. I don't think anyone would like to ride that way.

The techniques to run both ways is very different as well. The old way you have to lean your body forward more, allowing yourself to fall over forward. It's more of the way sprinters run. Anyway, after 3 knee surgeries and having very little knee left, that's the only way I can run. If I slam my heels down, I will not be able to walk for weeks since my knee will become the size of a balloon.

So you would suggest i pay more attention to my running technique or try to fix it?

I was plagued with shin splints when I played football...Many theories were explained to me; the force of pounding into the ground caused tiny stress fractures along the shin, ....or the calf and leg muscle fibres were fatigued and torn away from the shin bone...or overtraining caused the muscle to fatigue and as a result didn't support/absorb the force of the ground and the bone took more of the force....all these theories sound good, but the treatment from my unforgiving physio was the same, deep massage using thumb along the shinbone to 'pop' or rub out the inflamed areas....OUCH!!!
come to think of it, that was their treatment for corkies too....:(

I had bad shin splints that ended up turning into stress fractures. Mine were caused by running on the roads during pre season as well as the hard ovals during the drought.

No more running on roads or pavements and haven't had troubles since.

hm. well theres not much i can do at the moment except rest as much as possible, massage regularly and ice i guess

I have always suffered shin splints and found that it was directly related to a lack of ZMA. Even once when on holidays in England we were walking a lot and i was having heaps of issues, went to the chemist got some ZMA and then a few days later i had no more problems, now i take zma pro every night and dont have any problems any more.

Might not be your problem but maybe something to look into.
Your main depletion of ZMA comes from sweat and ejaculatory.

I have always suffered shin splints and found that it was directly related to a lack of ZMA. Even once when on holidays in England we were walking a lot and i was having heaps of issues, went to the chemist got some ZMA and then a few days later i had no more problems, now i take zma pro every night and dont have any problems any more.

Might not be your problem but maybe something to look into.
Your main depletion of ZMA comes from sweat and ejaculatory.

Okay yeah thanks i found some tabs on bulk nutrients for like 30 bucks so might look into it. Is there any main uses for ZMA other than treating shin splints?

Yeah in my running days I would get shin splints as well which was basically from running on my heals. So I bought some inserts and had a few weeks rest and I never had them again. Also make sure you put them in your footy boots too.

He's not pushing his own product, and Sam already stated he found a different brand...besides, he IS a site advertiser/sponsor, give the guy a break.

Sam, Goodluck mate, I feel your pain

He's not pushing his own product, and Sam already stated he found a different brand...besides, he IS a site advertiser/sponsor, give the guy a break.

Sam, Goodluck mate, I feel your pain

ZMA has been shown to not increase testosterone (at least noticeably), and I really don't get how it would help prevent/treat shin splints.

OP I used to have awful shin splints and resulted in stress fractures. After a lot of rest, I learned how to run properly (look up POSE) and lots of soft tissue work helped me a lot. They suck.

sounds like blatant advertising to me, lol

As said he already found a product

ZMA has been shown to not increase testosterone (at least noticeably), and I really don't get how it would help prevent/treat shin splints.

OP I used to have awful shin splints and resulted in stress fractures. After a lot of rest, I learned how to run properly (look up POSE) and lots of soft tissue work helped me a lot. They suck.

ZMA doesn't directly increase testosterone but in most people who train you do need to replace the lost minerals you lose through sweat and ejaculation.

Punch in your stats here and your daily activity and you will find you should need about 400mg of magnesium and 11mg of zinc daily
NutritionData BMI & Calories Burned Calculator

By directly replace these minerals it will keep testosterone levels where they should be.

So for the average guy not training not exercising he wont be losing much ZMA daily and will probably get enough from his diet.
So yes ZMA does boost testosterone and at the same time in untrained people it wont do shit for testosterone.

I agree with you that ZMA may not be the answer, but ON said that too, He was only offering one theory.
As for POSE, wish I had discovered this 6 years ago!!

Thanks for the help guys games up in a few hours so hopefully they will calm down a little today and i can find something that will work for me soon.

Everything sounds valid to me. The ZMA might not work for everyone but then again it might work for some so i'd give it a try. There can't be many disadvantages.

Dont keep wasting your time, just see a Podiatrist and have your feet looked at.
Like Ive written on your other thread about shin splints..seeing a professional and having a set of decent orthotics made up will fix your problem.

yeah when i was playing today i had to come off within the first 5 minutes its gradually getting worse. I'm struggling to reach top speed and even when i'm jogging or warming up it becomes too much pain after a while, even the insides of my feet near the bone are starting to hurt. I'm going to get some ZMA tabs anyway because i think its a good idea. If it shows no signs of recovery i'll see a podiatrist

Dont keep wasting your time, just see a Podiatrist and have your feet looked at.
Like Ive written on your other thread about shin splints..seeing a professional and having a set of decent orthotics made up will fix your problem.

Probably should say that when I said inserts I meant orthotics that I got from a podiatrist.

Ordered my ZMA's. Podiatrist around here is a fucking joke, disreguarded my call completely and told me that a regular doctor would be more useful than them. Not sure what else to do, spose i'm going to have to go to a GP then get some advice from there.