• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
You can add wraps in earlier if you want more practice with them. Just adjust percentages to your wrapped max accordingly.

Kaz!
Four weeks? I'd run the first 3 of 37 then the last week of 32.
I actually have some templates that were written specifically for some of the Russian women's team- I dig them out and post up. The women's one a really high volume.
The thing about Smolov templates that you have to consider is that they were designed for squat only. People have adapted then to all lifts, but they were never designed or intended for that.

Gurus please enlighten me -

I want to enter Freakos comp in March went 160/112.5/210@86kg week before last. I am going to try and diet down to sub 83kg and have exactly 6 weeks to train looking at Onis table I am bang on class 3 rated (dunno if this matters or not) -

Would sheiko be a decent option and which combo? open to other suggestions as well, your input would be very much appreciated.

Also I don't have an incline bench can put my flat bench on blocks (giving me 22.5 degrees which is half a normal incline) or can sub mil press, which is what I have done in the past.

Last edited:
6 weeks? If it was me I'd run 37 but repeat week 3 then last week of 32. So from 37 do week 1, week 2, week 3 then repeat week 3 then week 4 then final week of 32. Bam!!!

I'm not diet guru- but how clean is your diet currently?

Thankyou mate, diet is very clean mostly meat, some yoghurt, sweet potato and some leafy greens. Trying to keep cals below 2500 with at least 2g of protein per kg of bw.

All of the numbered ones- 30, 31 are for rated lifters. Basically they are all designed for slightly different needs but should work for most. 30 and 31 are pretty rough and not really suited to prep for a comp. The most balanced prep cycle that has delivered the most consistent results is 37, although it tends to work better for squat and bench. The deadlift volume is fairly low. It's a safe bet. 29 works well too, but not as consistently as 37. 32 is a comp cycle. Normally you'd run at least one prep cycle and then a comp cycle. The Russians recommend 2 prep cycles plus a comp cycle- which is 12 weeks. It really depends how long you have.

Thankyou mate, diet is very clean mostly meat, some yoghurt, sweet potato and some leafy greens. Trying to keep cals below 2500 with at least 2g of protein per kg of bw.

Drink lots of water?
Often you can drop a couple of kilos by simply increasing water then a few days out increase more- then 1 day out drop the salts, sodium etc.

That's what I was thinking, just get stronger and eat well and dehydrate yourself before the comp. Unless you're doing it because you want to look good ofc (which is perfectly valid)

That's what I was thinking, just get stronger and eat well and dehydrate yourself before the comp. Unless you're doing it because you want to look good ofc (which is perfectly valid)

Yeah- if your diet is dialed in if always look for way to get lighter than doesn't involve depriving you of food or water. The hydration thing is great as long as you don't push it too hard. Lots of people will drop weight by simply drinking more water. But you should never push that too far- don't increase the fluids dramatically. Just work out how much you drink then start by adding another 1500mls- 2000mls per day for a week. Weigh yourself in the morning before you eat- see how that goes. If you have to you can increase a little more then drop salts etc 1 day out. But you might not need to.

Drink lots of water?
Often you can drop a couple of kilos by simply increasing water then a few days out increase more- then 1 day out drop the salts, sodium etc.

Yeah my brother used to fight at an international level he is a bit of a guru at cutting weight although they had 24hr weigh ins. I will aim to get my morning weight down to 84 then it should jist be an easy kilo of water weight to drop.

Thanks for your advice.

A littlr bit offtopic but long term do you think someone should pick a weightclass to aim for based on their height?

Yeah- if your diet is dialed in i'd always look for way to get lighter than doesn't involve depriving you of food or water. The hydration thing is great as long as you don't push it too hard. Lots of people will drop weight by simply drinking more water. But you should never push that too far- don't increase the fluids dramatically. Just work out how much you drink then start by adding another 1500mls- 2000mls per day for a week. Weigh yourself in the morning before you eat- see how that goes. If you have to you can increase a little more then drop salts etc 1 day out. But you might not need to.

My advice on weight- don't worry about weight. Body composition and health is what matters. You train and get stronger and you weigh what you weigh. Personally I think the only reason I'd shoot for a specific class was to go for a record or something. I'm just not a big fan on people going crazy about being a specific weight. Focus on strength and health.
I've had people tell me to get bigger. I compete against guys 40kg heavier than me. Last time I checked fat doesn't move weight.

Last edited:
Yeah my brother used to fight at an international level he is a bit of a guru at cutting weight although they had 24hr weigh ins. I will aim to get my morning weight down to 84 then it should jist be an easy kilo of water weight to drop.

Thanks for your advice.

A littlr bit offtopic but long term do you think someone should pick a weightclass to aim for based on their height?

Practice cutting weight and do little mini comps. I was 10kg under weight for this last comp but I still practiced weighing in for at and got to below 67.5kg with just an hour in an epsom salts bath about 30 hours prior

My advice on weight- don't worry about weight. Body composition and health is what matters. You train and get stronger and you weigh what you weigh. Personally I think the only reason I'd shoot for a specific class was to go for a record or something. I'm just not a big fan on people going crazy about being a specific weight. Focus on strength and health.

Yeah I that makes sense I have never really given it any thought till I started thinking about going in comps. I trnd to use my waist measurement as more of a gauge for whether I need to diet or not.