• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Make sure you check your form so you can try to mimic the top part of the lift. It's easy to start using a technique that doesn't mirror your comp technique. Yeah upper back smash-o-rama!

I'm finding when i do sumo style to mimic the lift, my hands/wrist are a big interferance. I think i have to post a vid to explain. The drag of my hands on my thighs feels like its stopping me from getting upright?
I'll video next time, sounds weird.

Spritcha do you feel that the sumo block pull is a good exercise?
When I blew out my hip flexor at the SI joint I could only deadlift sumo for a while as I was more upright but felt I'd get more out of jacking off than sumo pulls from mid shin - especially with the Sheiko percentages. Is this the training effect you're trying to achieve? I did notice in a few others they had absolutely ridiculous percentages like 90-100% for block pulls for doubles and triples. Is it safe to assume that the lower percentage cycles are for deadlifts and the higher percentages for sumo pulls?

I'm finding when i do sumo style to mimic the lift, my hands/wrist are a big interferance. I think i have to post a vid to explain. The drag of my hands on my thighs feels like its stopping me from getting upright?
I'll video next time, sounds weird.

Baby powder on thighs?

Baby powder on thighs?

Ive tried it, it works good for the first 2 reps then 3rd and 4th etc just rubs skin to skin where its worn off.
When I watch others doing it on youtube, it appears the bar barely makes contact with arms or thighs

[Youtube]K3LJ4ZIgY3Q[/youtube]

Fwiw if your back is rounding slightly and your knees slide forward I can see how this would become an issue
If your position is good everything should "glide" like the lass in the video

i dont get why you dont do your rack pulls conventional stance. Are you meant to be practicing the top portion of your lift or smashing your upper back to improve your lockout?

Do have Skins/compression shorts Kaz? That might help

I started using my soft suit which did the trick but i felt like a bit of a nerd... tights (girly black ones) get caught on the bar. I'd be worried to wreck skins lol. Maybe should stick to soft suit and chuck a shirt over.... much trendiness!

Then the simplest solution is either move the grip or adjust the stance. When I pulled sumo I had the same issue- I just moved my stance out a few inches and the problem was solved. I know others have solved it by changing the angle of the feet.

i dont get why you dont do your rack pulls conventional stance. Are you meant to be practicing the top portion of your lift or smashing your upper back to improve your lockout?

Specificity!! It's all about specificity. Change the stance and you turn a lift into assistance.

Then the simplest solution is either move the grip or adjust the stance. When I pulled sumo I had the same issue- I just moved my stance out a few inches and the problem was solved. I know others have solved it by changing the angle of the feet.

I had the same problem with sumo. I used hook grip and when I went heavy when my hand went over my thighs it would grab and open my hand up.

I tried changing stance and grip but in the end gave up and went back conventional.

I did too, worse in week 4. Its just the volume wearing you down! I found I felt weaker because I was pausing so much more. Wears me down:( cant wait to test the 1rm after deload ;)