• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Are you saying 32 finishes the Sunday the week before the comp? If so don't run the final week that far out- you'll bugger up the peaking.
Am I right? 32 finishes the Sunday before your comp week?

Unfortunately I start midweek this week as I was sick earlier in the precious cycle
If I shorten the 2 rest days this is what I have to work with.
hyrapagy.jpg

Thats ok, lol skills test would be this week if im squeezing 4 weeks training into 3.5.
As I see it, im thinking im better to stick to final 3 weeks of #32, I have an idea of my openers as I threw a few heavies into the final week of 37.

Got my first results in today. Like many, I was skeptical about the low percentages, so I treated my first crack at #29 pretty seriously. I didn't omit, substitute or miss a rep in the 4 weeks. My only sin was to throw in a couple of extra reps here and there and bump up the reference 1RMs by a smidgen when I was halfway through.

Today I only tested bench, 'cos everybody was telling me not to test anything at all, and also I know that it kills me for days if I test 1RMs for squats and deadlifts. And technically, I didn't even test a bench 1RM today (to keep Kaz and Wingman happy :))

Starting point: 2 paused reps at 140kg
End of Sheiko #29: 3 paused reps at 145kg

Very happy with this, because my bench hadn't noticeably moved for 8 months prior to this.

And also, a 6-month-old glute injury seems to have pretty much healed up over the same 4-week timeframe.

Other factors:
Break between Sheiko #29 and testing my bench: 3 days
Supplements taken during Sheiko #29: Protein shakes after every session + Magnesium and Vitamin C when I remembered. Craze PWO (but only three times, in week 3 from memory). No creatine, BCAAs etc.

Can't extrapolate 1 lifter's experience to everybody of course, but it's at least an extra anecdotal datapoint for anybody who might be interested

Last edited:
nice work zoot.
i'm up to day 2 of week 4 here myself on #29.

VERY keen to test Something, lol.
bench feels good lately. very good. looks like you gained 6-7kg on the bench eh. 1rm of a paused 3rm usually comes in at up to 10% over for me, but differ's for everyone obviously. from what seems like 145kg for 1, you could be looking at 155-160. in 4 weeks.

personally i'd be happy with 5% for bench. 2-3 % across all 3.

with states in 9 days, i wont be testing nothing til then though.

I'm the same with bench as you Timeah.

I've found:
3RM is 90% of 1RM, 2RM is 95% of 1RM
Pausing for a second takes off 5%
Pausing for 3 seconds takes off 10%

So, using the above
Paused 3RM = 90% of paused 1RM
Touch and go 2RM = paused 1RM
Touch and go 3RM = 95% of paused 1RM

I use this guide to kind of predict progress as I'm going.

PS As I've been training paused bench and getting better at it, the numbers are getting closer together. My paused bench used to equal my touch and go 3RM.

Last edited:
I'm the same with bench as you Timeah.

I've found:
3RM is 90% of 1RM, 2RM is 95% of 1RM
Pausing for a second takes off 5%
Pausing for 3 seconds takes off 10%

So, using the above
Paused 3RM = 90% of paused 1RM
Touch and go 2RM = paused 1RM
Touch and go 3RM = 95% of paused 1RM

I use this guide to kind of predict progress as I'm going.

PS As I've been training paused bench and getting better at it, the numbers are getting closer together. My paused bench used to equal my touch and go 3RM.

yeah its precisely that kind of info that enables you to transistion from sheiko to RTS with a sheiko template.

yeah cool.
i got a bit impatient on tuesday night (week 4-day 1) and upped the weight for the final set of bench from 80kg x 4 to 85kg and paused 5 reps. i think i would have had 3 in the tank... previous pb was 102.5kg paused and 105kg tng. feeling very confident that ill better both in 9 days...

yeah its precisely that kind of info that enables you to transistion from sheiko to RTS with a sheiko template.

The above figures for me all assume an RPE of 10. I've figured out roughly how RPE 8-10 correlates as well, but only for bench, where my technique is a lot more solid. With squat and deadlift it goes a little out the window.:)

I PB'd on bench as well.:)
While I didnt test my 1RM, I upped the weights in the last set and doubled my current national title 57.5kg x 2 @ 56kg bodyweight. I also pushed out 1.5 x 60kg paused bench and I reckon I'd have it in me if not for so many reps prior to attempt!
Im glad I can do Sheiko cycles, I honestly thought it had me beat but I beat it.

Unfortunately I wont get ACT or NSW states weekends off work so a little annoyed I wont get to compete this side of my Holiday. Will keep up the bench 3 x weekly but going to enter into maintenance mode. I am definately going to test my 1RM's for deadlift and squat this weekend.

I PB'd on bench as well.:)
While I didnt test my 1RM, I upped the weights in the last set and doubled my current national title 57.5kg x 2 @ 56kg bodyweight. I also pushed out 1.5 x 60kg paused bench and I reckon I'd have it in me if not for so many reps prior to attempt!
Im glad I can do Sheiko cycles, I honestly thought it had me beat but I beat it.

Unfortunately I wont get ACT or NSW states weekends off work so a little annoyed I wont get to compete this side of my Holiday. Will keep up the bench 3 x weekly but going to enter into maintenance mode. I am definately going to test my 1RM's for deadlift and squat this weekend.

Sounds like you are going well!