• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Pull ups on rings vs bar

One arm dumbell row is another good choice for the lats

Yeah, I do those too, although they can recruit a shit load of erector muscle as well. I use the movement with the dumbbell out in front of me, just touching the floor with lat fully stretched, them pull up and back in a diagonal path so that my hand is at my hip joint. The more common way I see is pulling directly up, but that tends to use more bicep at the top of the movement. Doing it diagonally has the arm straight for almost the entire movement.

The only time I ever get a targeted lat pump is with wide grip pull ups. Mind you, I have not done the similar pull down for a few years. I guess that would be much the same if you kept the torso erect.

Weight class restrictions and whatnot have sweet FA to do with the discussion
The choice of exercise has everything to do with working the targeted muscle

I hate to agree with gerry (I really do) but I can see the point. Train muscle = stronger and more mass. Train movement = getting better at that particular exercise = lift more with the same (or less) muscle required. So for weight class competitions, I get the point.

Whether any of that makes actual scientific sense, I'm not sure.

... Come to think of it, I'm not sure I even understood what was meant by "training" a "movement"

Yeah, I do those too, although they can recruit a shit load of erector muscle as well. I use the movement with the dumbbell out in front of me, just touching the floor with lat fully stretched, them pull up and back in a diagonal path so that my hand is at my hip joint. The more common way I see is pulling directly up, but that tends to use more bicep at the top of the movement. Doing it diagonally has the arm straight for almost the entire movement.

The only time I ever get a targeted lat pump is with wide grip pull ups. Mind you, I have not done the similar pull down for a few years. I guess that would be much the same if you kept the torso erect.

You're not using the erectors to a great degree if you're kneeling on a bench.

when you do them imagine the resistance is behind the elbow, by doing this you'll find the right groove.

when you do them imagine the resistance is behind the elbow, by doing this you'll find the right groove.

Good cue.

thumbs-up.jpg

I hate to agree with gerry (I really do) but I can see the point. Train muscle = stronger and more mass. Train movement = getting better at that particular exercise = lift more with the same (or less) muscle required. So for weight class competitions, I get the point.

... Come to think of it, I'm not sure I even understood what was meant by "training" a "movement"

Understand what you saying, makes sense to me.
I sort of see I as:

Using the muscle to lift the weight
or
Using the weight to train the muscle

Might give them a go next week for chits and giggles. I reckon they'd be pretty tough fully horizontal like that. I don't flye anywhere near my bw!

ill try not to get offended with you agreeing with me and hating every second of it lol.sometimes we miss the point of a message when we focus too much on who is actually saying it.
glad to help btw.

I imagine that would be impossible until I have significant dipping strength.
Doing sets of 15 on the rings now

How do you do dips with rings without the straps rubbing furiously all up your forearm? After 3 sets my arms are all scuffed up which makes me look like a bondage victim.

just outta curiosity how much can you dumbell row and do u use straps or not?

just outta curiosity how much can you dumbell row and do u use straps or not?

No straps. Don't need them. My grip is strong enough to get the job done. People rave on how good they are for grip strength. Heavy paused shrugs piss all over rows.

I will do 5 pairs of sets of 10 reps (one set each arm of course) with 50kg. Sometimes 45 if I can't get the dumbbells I want. I could go heavier if I wanted to but I find that rep range about right for me.

I've done 20 reps with the 60kg dumbbell
Nobody believed me so I took a video lol

I don't rate dumbbell rows really. Bent rows are great though and I love pull-ups. I don't add weight on the pull-ups body weight is enough to get the job done. I'll deadlift and row first then do 5 sets and get a good contraction in the lats

I've done 20 reps with the 60kg dumbbell
Nobody believed me so I took a video lol

I don't rate dumbbell rows really. Bent rows are great though and I love pull-ups. I don't add weight on the pull-ups body weight is enough to get the job done. I'll deadlift and row first then do 5 sets and get a good contraction in the lats

I haven't seen it.

not sure if theres huge carryover with dumbell rows as i can do the 50kgers relatively easily(not 5 sets of 10 tho) and my dead is miles behind.factor in tho my arms are way shorter which technically makes a row easier but a deadlift harder i spose..i think? yes excuses lol.i like doing them though..ima add those shrugs in.....grip=yes please.

60 kg for 20 is amusing.especially when your only 70 kg lol.

Last edited: