• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Pull ups on rings vs bar

allow the conversation to evolve please,stifling it wont help us progress.theres things to be learned from all perspectives mate.the beginner and the gym rat sometimes comes up with gems,so does the bodybuilder and the powerlifter.
of course im interested as i wanna improve.

What would your "go to" exercise be for lats? I ask this cos I can get a good lat pump from wide grip pullups (done properly) but have not done much for the last 6 months due to a rotator cuff problem.

It's a good question, if you look at the lat's and how they work mechanically, it will become clear what the optimum movement will be, we know through often discussing that to place a muscle in it's fully extended position and through resistance push it into it's fully contracted position is going to really work the muscle well, make it more flexible and in-turn stronger and thicker.

the lat insert into the spine, wraps around the rib-cage, twists and attaches to the under side of the arm...

So in the extended position the arm up a few inches from the head around shoulder width
in the contracted position the arm is at the the rear side of the torso.

unless you have access to a machine type pullover, I think the go to machine is a chest supported row...the width of the handle and grip position also important.

allow the conversation to evolve please,stifling it wont help us progress.theres things to be learned from all perspectives mate.the beginner and the gym rat sometimes comes up with gems,so does the bodybuilder and the powerlifter.
of course im interested as i wanna improve.
Weight class restrictions and whatnot have sweet FA to do with the discussion
The choice of exercise has everything to do with working the targeted muscle

valid point

hang on i answered a question you posed which was movement training vs muscle training.Movement=doing the exercise quickly using momentum,for example kipping pullups.Muscle training is doing the exercise slowly.the difference being that 1 will make you faster,the other will probably add muscle mass.It certainly applies to the crossfit or the powerlifter wanting to stay under a weight class.

The wide overhand grip pull-up is a potential shoulder wrecker, and most believe it is a better exercise for the lats, which is utter bullshit.

Compared to the chin-up;

The ROM is minimal
Weakens the shoulder capsule
Minimal involvement of the bicep
Minimal involvement of the lat's
Potential elbow injury

Great for rhomboids, and supruspinatus, that is all and for ego

i dont believe this is true and depends on the persons limb lengths,strength level and willingness to push themselves.For me many exercises are potentially dangerous.This particular exercise is difficult to master.it does not neccessarily mean its not to be done under any circumstances.You may have to work your way up using the palms facing and neutral grip.
id love to get good at them as i can see my deadlift going up.anything that makes ur back stronger=good.

Last edited:
can u like..get out??lol.im putting u on ignore.id ask you for cred but as far as i can tell you just like to chase people around.the forum is where u are competitive...when i dont understand something i dont keep butting in asking dumb questions.
i hate being rude man.

Last edited:
Why would someone market their machine as 'medx' baffles me lol. It sounds like something hospitals should install for their rehab patients!

hey anyone that can win at gymnastic activity is a good athlete in my book.Its farken hard especially if you are bottom heavy and/or have poor power to weight ratio.
I look at someone like Fabian Villani who may be not the strongest powerlifter running around(hes improving fast however)but the dude eats pullups off the bar and rings like its nothing.

i dont believe this is true and depends on the persons limb lengths,strength level and willingness to push themselves.For me many exercises are potentially dangerous.This particular exercise is difficult to master.it does not neccessarily mean its not to be done under any circumstances.You may have to work your way up using the palms facing and neutral grip.
id love to get good at them as i can see my deadlift going up.anything that makes ur back stronger=good.

I believe you're sincere, I also believe a man running at me with an axe wanting to chop me to pieces is also sincere.

can u like..get out??lol.im putting u on ignore.id ask you for cred but as far as i can tell you just like to chase people around.the forum is where u are competitive...when i dont understand something i dont keep butting in asking dumb questions.
i hate being rude man.
What??

Stop PMing me @gerry. ;
I'm not interested in that sort of thing

you know, you might still be able to get in on that threeway between Gerry., C_T and Von. Making it a fourway I guess :eek:

[MENTION=9251]Darkoz[/MENTION]; loves Powerlfters [MENTION=17650]gerry.[/MENTION];

Last edited: