• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Pull ups on rings vs bar

I have no doubt it works the arms, just don't understand why people sway towards a close underhand grip to target the biceps rather than a wide overhand grip. Is it because the exercise is a lot more difficult to perform?

Place your arms beside you as if you're typeing on your computer Palms down

with one hand, feel your bicep.

now, suppinate the hand and then feel the bicep.

tell me what you note.

The bicep is obviously a lot tenser with the underhand grip, this comes as no surprise and hence why most people do curls with an underhand grip.

But coming back to my initial dilemma, why do a complex movement to work a small muscle? You don't see most people benching purely to develop their triceps or squatting to develop their calves.

The bicep is obviously a lot tenser with the underhand grip, this comes as no surprise and hence why most people do curls with an underhand grip.

But coming back to my initial dilemma, why do a complex movement to work a small muscle? You don't see most people benching purely to develop their triceps or squatting to develop their calves.

Youre re not getting it

the pull up works the bicep more thoroughly than the bicep curl.

look at the anatomy of the three bicep muscles crossing over the joints

if you don't understand that, I'll try to put it in another way.

For me, it's because of limited time. Main target is the Bicep, but since I don't have the chance to do that many different exercises, any secondary activation is going to help.

That brings me back to the basis of my question. Are chin ups with straps going to be more or less effective at targeting my biceps than a bar? (And I guess, should I not bother with either and just do curls?)

I really prefer the rings for pull-ups, dips and push-ups
No clue why it just seems to feel good. Pull-ups I get an amazing contraction. I can force the elbows out and drag outwards and it's brilliant. Hard to explain

I really prefer the rings for pull-ups, dips and push-ups
No clue why it just seems to feel good. Pull-ups I get an amazing contraction. I can force the elbows out and drag outwards and it's brilliant. Hard to explain
Have you tried doing reverse flyes using the rings 0ni?

For me, it's because of limited time. Main target is the Bicep, but since I don't have the chance to do that many different exercises, any secondary activation is going to help.

That brings me back to the basis of my question. Are chin ups with straps going to be more or less effective at targeting my biceps than a bar? (And I guess, should I not bother with either and just do curls?)

You'll get a better result using a solid bar.
The purpose of exercise is to develop the intended muscle, there is less skill involved using a bar, which means you can just focus.

doing muscle ups on rings is the go.

start with getting out of a pool, muscle up, then without water, then on rings.

BOOM!

I have no doubt it works the arms, just don't understand why people sway towards a close underhand grip to target the biceps rather than a wide overhand grip. Is it because the exercise is a lot more difficult to perform?

I don't understand why people do kipping pullups either (outside of a crossfit WOD) :rolleyes:

Most definately.

I've never understood why people do a movement that primarily works your back muscles to try and target the arms.
If you want bigger biceps, do curls. If you want to work your back, then do pullups, rows etc.

Cos if you want big STRONG arms, you have to have a strong foundation. Without a strong back, your biceps will never reach full potential.

Even the biggest arms have a bicep muscle only about the size of an orange. Smaller guys will have them about the size of a tennis ball or even a billiard ball. They are a very small muscle, with triceps adding most of the bulk to your arm. That's why it's easy to get a bicep pump. Compare that to getting a quad pump or back pump. Takes a lot more work to get it done.

If you think about it, you will see guys with arms that look big cos they are trained constantly, but that is only in relation to a comparatively small upper body. The look big cos everything else is small.

If you want "big" biceps, train them often. If you want really big biceps, train your back. The "broceps" will grow in proportion.

Most definately.

The wide overhand grip pull-up is a potential shoulder wrecker, and most believe it is a better exercise for the lats, which is utter bullshit.

Compared to the chin-up;

The ROM is minimal
Weakens the shoulder capsule
Minimal involvement of the bicep
Minimal involvement of the lat's
Potential elbow injury

Great for rhomboids, and supruspinatus, that is all and for ego

The wide overhand grip pull-up is a potential shoulder wrecker, and most believe it is a better exercise for the lats, which is utter bullshit.

What would your "go to" exercise be for lats? I ask this cos I can get a good lat pump from wide grip pullups (done properly) but have not done much for the last 6 months due to a rotator cuff problem.

Compared to the chin-up;

The ROM is minimal
Weakens the shoulder capsule
Minimal involvement of the bicep
Minimal involvement of the lat's
Potential elbow injury

Great for rhomboids, and supruspinatus, that is all and for ego

i find them hard to do,the neutral grip is easier.i dont have a bar at home to pull up/chin up off so thats an exercise that i dont do often.its all barbell or dumbell rowing.

Last edited: