• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

PTC Gold Coast - What's happening

Another busy week down the coast.

TJ started training with us. TJ is a young lady who got introduced to the sport by Scott. She plays gridiron and is aiming to play on the QLD LFL team. She's a blessing to the gym. Amazing attitude, super strong, really good work ethic. Ticks all the boxes.

Harrison is working towards the end of his introductory training cycle. He's been smashing deficits, squats and bench.

Paul, Taz and myself worked up to heavy singles on bench and dead on Wednesday.

Taz hit 120 (current PB) nice and smooth on the bench, and nailed 195 @88kg for a 10kg PB deadlift. He will start hammering some heavy shrugs and lat work to help with his lockout (you'll see he missed it at the shoulders in the video).

Paul got 95kg on the bench, a 2.5kg PB. He managed to smash out a 190kg deadlift @72kg for a 20kg PB. Paul works really hard in the gym and the results are shining through.

I worked up to a 150kg paused bench and a 250kg conventional deadlift. I'll still be deadlifting at states, but won't go sumo.

Mike H did a week of 8s. It destroyed him lol.

Our monolift, competition bench, power bars, squat bar, deadlift bar and a whole bunch of kettlebells are due to arrive this week. Can't wait!

[youtube]H0dOXfFi-HU[/youtube]

Been a massive few weeks.

All of our new gear arrived: monolift, comp bench, 4 power bars, 27mm deadlift bar, 35mm squat bar, kettlebells up to 64kg, kettlebell rack. The gym is looking really good. I've got a guy coming to take some good quality shots on friday so I'll be sure to get them on here :)

the guys are training really hard leading into states.

Special mention to Mike H for hitting his previous bench pb of 82.5kg for 3 doubles yesterday.

Harrison is testing his maxes on Friday.

I've almost sold out of shirts and protein, so will be getting fresh stock in soon.

Taz came in tonight for a technique session. He ended up hitting a deadlift pb of 180kg. We talked through his goals. He wants a 500kg total. So that's what we're working towards for states. He's a good lifter though, so I predict his total will be much higher than that by states.

[youtube]RHk_bAOEX90[/youtube]

Awesome

Yesterday Dan from PTC Brisbane came in and smashed a big bench session

Harrison came in and did some light stuff after Fridays max test

Chad and Coco came in and did squats, bench and deads. Coco is a 95kg bodybuilder. He's interested in making the switch to powerlifting. He benched 140kg x 8-10 completely flat backed and deadlifted 270kg. Chad smashed 60kg for 19 reps on the bench, and hit 170kg x 5 deads.

Some videos of the last few days:
Mike H benching and deadlifting
[youtube]JnpJOurd5WA[/youtube]

Harrison testing his bench and dead maxes
[youtube]ONVW5G7oji0[/youtube]

Here's a video of TJ hitting 65kg and 70kg leading into next week's states. 70kg has been a bit of a demon for her so we're stoked she finally got it! She's also getting much better at keeping her bum down (since the vid was filmed).

[youtube]BXriPu0y8kg[/youtube]

We had a chat about the arse, she didn't even drop it at all in that one lol.

Cat also hit 70kg yesterday, it will be an epic show between those 2.

Cat should go 110/70/125

Is Cat in the 60's too? We're just about to test TJ's openers and seconds for squats/deads.

It will definitely be a good show.

Today was the PTC Gold Coast open day and Deadlift comp. Was a really really fun day. Here are the results:

Deadlift_comp_March_30.jpg

Highlights for me were Mitch's 140 pull, a 20kg PB. Mitch is a member here who has been having some back issues, so good to see him well and truely back on the horse.
Paul's 195kg was awesome to watch. A 5kg PB and he fought hard to get it. Paul will be opening at states next week on a 185kg dead.
Chad Croft pulled 215kg for a 5kg PB. Another unreal fight and definitely the most vocal lift of the day lol.

To be honest, everyone's lifts were really good to watch. Awesome day all round.

Wouldn't have been possible without all the help I got. Steve and Scott from Brissy were kind enough to help me ref and load. Dave from Brissy operated the jack. Elise did awesome on the computer. Thanks also to all the competitors and spectators for a great day.

Good to see new blood getting into it.
Whos? Andrew big pull from him.

Andrew is a strongman that trains with us occasionally, he's top U105 competitor affectionately known as TOG, The Old Guy.

I've still never seen him put proper effort into a deadlift.

Andrew is a strongman that trains with us occasionally, he's top U105 competitor affectionately known as TOG, The Old Guy.

I have several that train here now and most don't use as much leg drive when pulling. Hips are pretty high.
Seems to be all back. Most have pretty big pulls too regardless.

I'm not making a negative blanket statement just an observation and curious.

What's your take on this ben?guys?

Sorry for thread hijack tom.

I have several that train here now and most don't use as much leg drive when pulling. Hips are pretty high.
Seems to be all back. Most have pretty big pulls too regardless.

I'm not making a negative blanket statement just an observation and curious.

What's your take on this ben?guys?

Sorry for thread hijack tom.

In Andrew's case his knee is rooted, can't manage much more than a half squat. Most strongmen don't put a lot of effort into form and it all goes out the window when they start repping out anyway. PL trained strongmen tend to be different though.

He mentioned he came 5th at fitx?

Really strong guy.

A big chunk of us have been testing our openers for States this weekend.

The training has gone well with Mike H, Taz, Paul, Josiah, Pete, TJ and myself all hitting our planned openers, and some of us testing potential second attempts as well.

Harrsion, Dave and Shane have been training hard as usual.

Huge weekend at the GPC QLD states.

Big thanks to everyone who made the event possible.

The whole PTC GC team put in a massive effort, with PBs smashed all over the place.

TJ went 115/65/130 310@59.6. She missed out on a 122.5kg squat, stumbling after the squat command. She missed out on 70kg twice on the bench. She also missed her first deadlift attempt, stumbling at the top due to locking out so hard. This left her feeling a little down. After a good pep talk backstage, she came back and smashed 122.5kg and 130kg for a 10kg PB. Her total gives her a Class 1 grading, 10kg short of Master. She will be master and close enough to Elite by nationals.

Paul went 152.5/92.5/200 445@69.3. He missed his first squat, not waiting for the squat command. Nailed the second. Missed the third due to downward movement of the bar (he made the actual squat (160)). On the bench, he tied his best of 92.5kg but couldn't hammer 100kg. Deads were by far his saving grace, he nailed all 3 attempts. His celebration after the 200kg was awesome.

Taz went 192.5/120/200 512.5@84.5. When Taz joined PTC, his goal was to have a 500 total with a 200 deadlift by the end of this year. Mission accomplished. His squatting was great, landing him a 7.5kgPB. He missed his final bench of 127.5. He deadlifted 200 like it was nothing, and missed 215 at the lockout.

Mike H went 142.5/87.5/175 405@67.1. Mike had an awesome day. Absolutely killed squats, landing a 7.5kg PB. Missed his last bench. And killed it on deads with a 15kg PB.

Josiah went 152.5/135/207.5 495@91.6. Josiah is coming off an glute/lower back injury and hasn't done any squat or deadlift training since the end of last year, bar 1 or 2 sessions. Safe to say he's back on the horse and will be hitting some big numbers soon. A slightly disappointing day for him on the bench. He really wanted 150, but didn't have it on the day. He will nail it by next comp.

I went 80/157.5/257.5 495@94.1. At both states and nationals last year I missed my opening bench attempts. I thought it was going to plague me all day. I was so confident in my opener though, and it didn't bother me 1 bit. The plan was to go 140, 150, 160, but after getting 2 reds on my 150, i settled for 157.5 to make sure I nailed it. I did. Deads I knew weren't going to be great for me, but my conventional form has come a long way. I got a bit eager on my third, opting for 270 and missed it above the knees.

All in all, an amazing showing by the whole crew, and bags of fun all weekend. Powerlifting just keeps getting more awesome to me, even when i dont think it possible could be more awesome than what it is.

[youtube]2u_pBCbMyYQ[/youtube]

Quick update:

The powerlifting team here are training hard for nationals. Those who can't make nationals are running the same programming so they can train together.
Upon seeing their programs some were taken aback by some of the weights. I told them it's their own fault for doing so well at states :)

Elise (from next gen supplements) came in for a technique session tonight and joined. She wants to use strength training to compliment her triathalons. After seeing her technique and strength tonight, I'll be trying my very hardest to talk her out of that.

I'm back squatting again. Weights are climbing slowly. But I've got some weird lat/intercostal strain that's screwing with my bench.