• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

PTC Gold Coast - What's happening

Yesterday's highlights

Taz hit 105kg for 3 x 3 on close grip bench
Paul challenged us to a clean comp. I hadn't done them for a while so I just matched him. We went up to 100kg. I declare myself the winner cos I pressed it too lol. His clean looked way better than mine though.

A girl, Erin, came and had a session. She worked up to a 40kg squat triple, benched 27.5kg for a single and deadlifted 60kg for a single. It was her first time ever doing any of the lifts. She also hit the GHR for a set of 6, unassisted. That's the most reps anyone's gotten on their first time here so far. She's committed to coming in once a week for the next 6 weeks, and hopefully will join full time.

Dave came in and hit 90kg deads for 5 speedy triples
Paul smashed 65kg 5x5 on bench. His form really needed work when he started, but he's adjusting quickly and the weights are moving really fast.
Taz hit 117.5kg for 2 singles and 110kg x 5 doubles on bench.
I hit 3x3 of 120kg on bench. I also db rowed a 65kg db for 20 reps each hand, which is a pb.
Josiah smashed 126kg for 3 paused singles.
Michael hit 105kg on the bench for 6 sets.

Bumpers have finally arrived too :)

Brent came in and went through some technique stuff, then hammered some conditioning.

Paul hit 127.5kg for 6 doubles on deads
Lordy (Michael) hit 135kg for 6 doubles. His PB was 130 before he came here.
Taz hit 170kg for 6 singles
I worked up to 210kg 3x3 but hit 6 on the last for fun.

A new Michael came in for a session and worked on bench. Michael is going to do the novice comp in January and hopefully train with us a little more often!

A new lifter Mark came in and did a technique session with me. He has some serious strength in him, but needs to keep working at form.

Taz and Lordy just had easy days yesterday, they will be testing their maxes this week before starting a quick 4 week peaking cycle leading into the PTC Gold Coast novice comp on Jan 19.

Paul hit 135kg for 2 doubles yesterday. He's never squatted over 130kg.

Michael came in for a technique session yesterday. He hit a 140kg dead after missing it on his first attempt. He's a solid lifter with great form and should be posting some serious numbers soon.

I built an olympic platform today. Also made a chalk bowl holder. It's the little things that make all the difference. Pics on facebook

Big day yesterday. Taz and Lordy came in to test their maxes.

Taz hit a 160kg squat with ease, a 2.5kg PB. Then very very narrowly missed 170kg. I reckon he's got it in him.
Onto bench, he hit 110kg easily, then again just missed 120kg.
On deads, he smoked a 170kg dead. Jumped straight to 190kg and missed it twice. He really wanted a deadlift PB so he dropped it to 185kg and got it up for a 5kg PB. Lockout didn't quite happen, but it was close!

Lordy worked up to 140kg on the squat, a 17.5kg PB. He tried 150kg but missed it.
He hit a 110kg bench, a 12.5kg PB. Deads was where the show started. Lordy had set PBs in his training lifts here, with working sets of 132.5kg last week. So anything above that was a PB. Smoked 140kg. 150 flew up. 160 was easy. 170 went up, but he lost grip at the top and didn't quite nail the lockout, still a 37.5kg PB. Unreal. He missed 180.

Vids to come soon!!

On Friday night, Paul tested his max. Paul came across from crossfit. In his first technique session with me he had horrible form on all 3 lifts, which we promptly corrected. Paul trains really hard and the results speak for themselves. He worked up to 145kg on squat for a 12.5kg PB, 80kg on bench, and 160kg on deadlifts for a 20kg PB.

[youtube]lfSFL8X2jjg[/youtube]

Whoops!! Haven't updated this in a week or 2.

Everyone has been training hard. The guys have been testing their openers for the novice comp next weekend.
I'm back on the horse squatting again.
Josiah is starting a 6 week bench cycle.

I was visited by Dean Cowan and his mate from Melbourne the other day. Dean helps run a small powerlifting group in Kingscliffe called Beach Street Powerlifting. For those who don't know him, he has benched upwards of 280kg (Markos, please correct me if I'm wrong lol). He was a real cool guy to chat with.

Read more: ProRaw - Login

Saturday was the first PTC Gold Coast comp.

17 lifters competed, including 2 girls (there were 4 originally, but 2 dropped out).
It was a really really great day, with lots of broken PBs, a big crowd and lots and lots of sweat.
It was a really good day for my lifters.

Taz went 170/120/185 @89.6, adding 20kg to his previous best total. He was good for more on the deadlift and had an awesome fight with 200 for his 3rd (best fight of the day).
Paul went 150/87.5/170 @72.4 with plenty more in the tank, adding 22.5kg to his previous best total. He had set out to beat his twin brother and he did.
Lordy went 145/105/180 @76.7 with heaps left on squats and deads, adding 15kg to his previous best total. He was super nervous and had trouble with his squat opener, so went conservative on his next attempts.

Mike, a lifter who's trained with us on and off (and who I did the programming for) the last month or so went 125/82.5/155 @70.4 adding (I think) 32.5kg to his previous total.

It was such a great day. Really really fun. I've said it everywhere, but no way it would have been as smooth and successful if i didn't have so much help. I'm already getting excited for the next comp (deadlift comp in march).

Been quiet this week so far, with only a few of the regulars popping in.

Quick shoutout to Taz.

4 weeks ago Taz maxed out with a very shaky 185 on deadlifts. Last night (on his week off) he pulled 170kg for an easy 3x3.

We all had an awesome session last night. Highlights:

Taz, Paul, Mike and myself all lots of benching and squatting.

A new lifter, Mitch, came in to continue to work on technique. Mitch is going to be a seriously strong dude in no time!

Massive sessions.

Taz, Paul, myself and Mike H each did deficits, bench, then deads. It's been the hardest session of the program so far.

Josiah came in and kept smashing his bench sets out.

Harrison joined up and started with some deads and cleans. He did really well, cleaning up to 60kg with good form after never doing them before.

Mitch continued to work on technique for bench, working up to 50kg.

Lordy, Paul, Taz and I all hit squats and bench.

Paul did some front squats and jerks as well, leading to a PB of 90kg, and a very close miss at 95kg.

Harrison did day 1 of his 4 week max cycle. Smashed out 5 sets of squats like it was nothing.

Lordy managed to rip his 5th pair of pants in the space of 3 months.

Been a busy week with a number of lifters coming in and testing their maxes on a few lifts.

Taz and Mike H tested their squats.

Taz hit his previous PB of 170kg with no problem at all. He set that at the novice comp 4 weeks ago. After that he jumped to 180 and got it fairly easily. He narrowly missed 185kg.

Mike H hit his previous PB of 125kg with ease. He also set this at the novice comp. He then smashed 130kg. After that he grinded out a tough 135kg for a 10kg PB.

Paul played around with wraps. After getting the feel for them he sunk 150kg (previous PB) and 155kg. Went for 160 but it just wasn't there.

Tim came in and worked up to a 3RM on deadlifts. Tim hasn't lifted heavy in months. The last time he maxed deads was probably the last time he deadlifted heavy, and that was in October or something. His previous PB was 180kg. He hit 170kg for 3.

Paul tested his bench as well. He worked up to 90kg, a 2.5kg PB. But couldn't move anything above that.

The rest of the guys are training hard and continue to improve.

Our monolift, comp bench, power bars, deadlift bar and squat bar all arrive in a week or 3, so that's all very exciting.