• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

PTC, do I stay or do I go?

My 2 cents would be to run with it.

On a practical note, I would thoroughly investigate the insurance side of things. Esp if these players make any coin (as a Qlder I have no idea), but everyone in Aus S&C knows the sort of things that have one in the past and its harder to get insured for professional athletes. I imagine the clubs policies would cover it but you never know.

The you also have the issue of your PTC clients training there. Might increase the clubs insurance costs or such. Perhaps even requiring your trainees to become 'members'.

Sounds like an excellent opportunity but once you step out of PTC you need to make sure you are covered. Would hate to end up with no-ptc at all.

Markos,

Go for it, you only get one stab at life and need to make the most of every opportunity. You've got those garage memories, time for the next chapter in your life.

Nick's a big boy, he'll keep lifting even if he doesn't do it in your garage any more.

Things change, people adapt. Don't let fear of change hold you back. You know its an awesome opportunity. But I think you're pushing hard on your suppliers if you expect them to fit out your new gym. Just move all the PTC stuff in your garage over as planned and keep a few basics at home for Saturday lifting. The FFC is now your gym.

Cheers,
Mike

Markos has a Cert 3/4 in personal training. He was going to do the master trainer course but the didn't appreciate him constantly questioning the teachers.

Also he is a level 3 certfied crossfit strenth an conditioning coach. HE keeps that quiet but it has made him a master with the kettlebells!

He's done a few diet courses, ketogenic ones and what not. Plus a static stretching day session but I dont think they ever supplied him with certificates.

Haven't read thread except for OP.

I would say do it, but lock in a minimum term agreement. You don't want them expecting the guys to be freaks within a month and then kicking you out.

You have to look at this on two levels, business expansion and opportunity.

How many people will you be training for free each day and how much will that cost you per week, $x, opportunity cost.

How much rent and overhaeds will you save in this new facility? $y.

Say for example you train 20 people every night, that would normally pay $20 each. Thats $400 per night, or $2000 per week (5 day week).

If you were to rent a similar facility, it might cost you $1000 per week say, I have no idea.

Given these numbers, you are losing business, not gaining. Thats purely looking at the numbers of course, purely tangible.

To expand the business, its simlpe, you need more clients. do you think our current PTC clients and potential clients would want to train in a club facility, in a football environment? Will the atmosphere change ... yes it will, but it might be for the better, who knows.

From an opportunity point of view, its perfect. Exposure to for you and your training methods. Could this lead onto an even bigger opportunity, probably. Will you need to leave your current clients in limbo to fullfill that opportunity, probably.

Markos, what do you want? What will be good for you and your family? Thats where the answer lies.

You have to look at this on two levels, business expansion and opportunity.

How many people will you be training for free each day and how much will that cost you per week, $x, opportunity cost.

How much rent and overhaeds will you save in this new facility? $y.

Say for example you train 20 people every night, that would normally pay $20 each. Thats $400 per night, or $2000 per week (5 day week).

If you were to rent a similar facility, it might cost you $1000 per week say, I have no idea.

Given these numbers, you are losing business, not gaining. Thats purely looking at the numbers of course, purely tangible.

More likely, if you train 20 people for free, during a time that was already free (i.e. not inconveniencing paying customers). Then you look at how many of these people training for free would pay for training (about 3 to 5) twice a week, so you are providing a service of about ($20*5*2=) $200 per week in return for a larger facility.

Go for it Markos - no overheads is the deal maker and from what you've said the drawbacks pale in comparison to the benefits.

Get a contract signed and have a lawyer go over it.

i think you should go.

it will be good to learn about trianing athletes, especially inseason. it will throw up some challenges. you cant just tell them to f*ck off if they aren't trying 100% and dont do what you tell them too. your being hired to coach them. they aren't coming to you for coaching.
I think sometimes your methods work to get rid of the weak by making the training hard and unforgiving, leaving the strong, which is fine but you will get some weak kids who wont resond favorably to some things, and it could affects their performance.

Get your mate John Donahue to put in a good word for you with belly ache,

John Donahue handy work.

Grapple Tackle, Chicken Wing

vovo, but he will be training the 20, hence, his time is worth money. I agree, not all 20 would normally pay.

You'll always have your garage you goose.

Great news, this is good for football, rather than carlton, I'd prefer you try to get a gig at essendon, kick Stuart out on his are for me.
Posted via Mobile Device

Agreed, we have way too many skinny blokes that can get thrown around.

I just got back from the club.

My gut tells me no, my head says yes.

I'm going to meet up with some of my sponsors.

I have secured signage at the ground for them.

Will hinge on what they think. Reality is, I dont have enough equipment to train 20 people at once

Your gut and head must go in the same direction, or things get messy. I couldn't say which is right in this case, just that they must agree on where you're going.

Just read the whole thread, looks like you have a tough decision to make. Heres another thing to think about. how is parking around there, is it close to the gym and well lit for your regulars to get from their cars, is it free parking? Good luck in whatever you choose.

Would you be able to train 20 inexperienced lifters at once and make sure they are all lifting correctly, safely and not slacking off?

Would you be able to train 20 inexperienced lifters at once and make sure they are all lifting correctly, safely and not slacking off?

Critical point.

Are you equipped to handle the individual needs of each player?
Will squat racks and benches be enough?
How many people could you safely and efficiently train in a session?
Posted via Mobile Device

I thing SB touches on a good point here...there...realisticly how many players will you be training/supervising in a single session...

the other thing that I just thought about was that during the playing season the players will probably be using the gym less as most of the strength and cond work is done in the off/pre-season so you'll have more time for your clients....yay

As I said previously, you will only have small widow of opportunity to have an effect.

Sit down with the coach, asses each player and identify weaknesses.
Posted via Mobile Device

First off Big Unit, one of the reasons I need to move is because of parking, I have none here, 10,000 free spots there, its a huge plus, huge. The ground caters for up to 10,000 spectators during the season, and all of the parking is free.

Nick, if I can get your bench to 150kg, I feel I can do anything.

With up to 20 novices, individual needs wont be nearly as important as getting them to a level I'm happy with as a team.

I have great peripheral vision. Some of you may not know this, but I am a peripheral visionary, I can see into the future, only way off to the side.

I'm pretty good in a crowd, I never panic, always calm, people listen when I talk, so crowd issues shouldnt be a problem.

I have trained Dave and Tim in the gym at the same time. I havent had the trifecta yet of Dave, Tim and Jason. Nick knows what I'm talking about.

Its going to be a challenge, and I dont know the answer, but I'm a very confident guy, and I did get Nick to a 150kg bench press