• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

PTC, do I stay or do I go?

Do it, Markos. This is a great opportunity to bring true strength training back. When athletes get trained properly, hopefully the average joes & janes and their beloved PTs will follow their sporting heroes.

speaking of promo have you ever considered approaching Mens Fitness on doing an article? they ran one on the australian strong man comp not long ago and a lot of their stuff is aimed at barbell and kettlebell training.

Will they still be paying you to trian them? If not work out your hourly rate and the cost of that 5-7 days how ever long you will be training them.

Or is it we let you be here sort of deal..

What ever happens make sure you get all deals in writing.

And just follow what you think is right.

As long as they have no say over who you train, then I see little downside, if they do restrict you (i.e. can't train other VFL footballers) then that is for you to work out the pros and cons.

Sounds like a good opportunity

You'll always have your garage you goose.

Great news, this is good for football, rather than carlton, I'd prefer you try to get a gig at essendon, kick Stuart out on his are for me.
Posted via Mobile Device

PTC doesn't feel like a gym, it feels like i'm training at a mates places with other mates.

If it loses the atmosphere it wont be PTC anymore.

Do it man - no over head, bigger space, more equipment ...what more could u ask for...

PTC doesn't feel like a gym, it feels like i'm training at a mates places with other mates.

If it loses the atmosphere it wont be PTC anymore.

No disrespect to what Markos has made but maybe its time for PTC to go to the next level - still have that atmosphere but at more of a professional level...

I dont think PTC could ever be a "gym" but as the name states a training centre...and maybe this move will even more so separate the boys from the men.

Training and business are very similar - you never want to stay the same, you always want to look at becoming bigger and stronger...

Do you NEED to expand markos? Do you make enough coin to live comfortably at the moment?
The thing I love most about PTC, even if I'm so far away, is that it's in your garage. And like Nick said, it's just a bunch of mates, going to a mates welcoming house to shift some iron.
Only having lifted at PTC once, I obviously can't say the atmosphere made me 30kg stronger, but I can defiantly see how it would. I'd just hate to see you loose any of that atmosphere (and the lifters that create it) that your garage produces, re: Golds.

Having said that, you need to do what you need to do, and this sounds like an awesome opportunity if you wish to expand.
All the best markos, I bet this is a hard choice!
Posted via Mobile Device

Another idea for Markos could be use the football gym as more of his "high performance" gym - and still have his garage for the guys that want the "mates atmosphere" - again there is no over-head so at the end of the day there could be a "Original - PTC" and a "High Performance - PTC"

No disrespect to what Markos has made but maybe its time for PTC to go to the next level - still have that atmosphere but at more of a professional level...

I dont think PTC could ever be a "gym" but as the name states a training centre...and maybe this move will even more so separate the boys from the men.

Training and business are very similar - you never want to stay the same, you always want to look at becoming bigger and stronger...

I've been giving s hit to Markos about us training in a shoe box for ages. I'd love more room for more equiptment, strongman area, etc.

But the reason for the move is to train footy players. Players who dont even have the dedication to go to Markos' place in the same suburb as their club. Even though their coach wants them to and it would increase their chance of playing AFL ten fold.

People with that sort of work ethic, or lack thereof dont last at PTC, and for good reason.

They would hardly be high performance!

Last edited:
if you have insurance for your stuff and some kind of contract for wear and tear on equipment could be an ok offer. I would try to up the anti by telling them to fit out the "new gym" this way you could have your home gym and their gym to train.

Actions verify priorities here.
markos will be faced with a whole set of new challenges.

Footballers are dedicated, dedicated to the sport they play, there is a very small window of opportunity for a strength coach to work with in relation to improving the strength of the said athlete.
An improved squat is not going to help a player kick an extra goal, win a game, it will help reduce injury, another story.

Markos, you will always have that garage, if you need help moving I'd love to give a hand.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sounds like a great opportunity for you Markos. Getting into the AFL as a S&C coach would be an absolute dream job.

But i guess the big decision here is whether you want to go train VFL/AFL players, or train guys, who i imagine would be almost family to you, in a garage who break world records. Definitely a hard decision to make.

What happens when you train them so hard they dont want to come back? :p

Nick is spot on about the garage, its a special place. I've often said I dont have a job, I have mates come round to train. No one trains soft, they leave once it gets hard, so the training is always of a high standard. I understand Nicks concerns of the standard dropping, but I reckon the boys coming in may get inspired by the regulars, the ones that dont wont come in.

A few issues. The VFL boys feel its wrong that they are asked to pay for use of a gym, when all the other clubs in the competition have facilities and coaches, I understand that, thats why a lot of them arent coming. Not sure how many Carlton or Storm players put their hands in their pocket to lift at a gym away from their ground, and they earn 10 times the money these boys do.

I get it.

Frankston dont have the funds to set up a gym like PTC, they are currently building a new grandstand, the original burnt down. The plan 4 months ago was for Max to train their boys in their own gym 2 nights a week. They still have no gym.

Coach Simon Goosey can see the benefits of my training. His son hasnt missed a session, and his progress has really woken Simon up.

Simon survives at Frankston if his team improves. He is doing everything he can to make that happen.

Now, I have no clients before 6.00pm at PTC, because they work. The footballers will train from around 4.30pm till 6-7.00pm, maybe 2-3 nights a week.

There is nothing stopping anyone else training during that time, and up to 10.00pm

I have been having sessions, on Monday and last night, with 12 in the garage at one time. Thats too crowded, but we manage, everyones f u c k e d when they leave, everyone gets their work done.

When it rains, and I shut the door, it becomes an issue. I would prefer to extend the garage, but it will cost around $15,000.

I get to move in a bigger place than I could ever have at home, for free, no electricity bills, better location, and get my foot in the door of a legitimate football club that may lead to bigger things.

A friend of mine, John Donahue started the same way, Google him, he gets flown to England to train Leeds and Wigan, as well as being the tackling coach of 6-10 NRL/AFL clubs here. He still has his original dojo in Chadstone, but its run by his pupils.

I can stay at home and keep plodding along, but I cant really grow.

Unless I can get support from my suppliers, I probably cant do it, as I dont want to empty my garage, training will still be there every Satuday regardless.

I'll try and get to the ground and measure the area today or tomorrow

Sounds like you made your mind up mate..

Good luck.

P.s you could always just move to Sydney and setup shop ;)
Posted via Mobile Device