• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Need advice on training program! BEGINNER!!

My point didn't concern chocolaty drinks, rather the "Father" of progressive resistance, Milos of Croton.

And regarding the steady generational decline of testosterone in men over the recent years, it could be assumed that during his period, his testosterone levels could be assumed to be astronomically much greater than the average man today, giving greater strength and muscle mass, making the feat of actually carrying a calf through infancy to full grown adulthood slightly possible, but thats just speculation and im just waffling.

It was a joke.

Just take 100/140/180 as being a beggineer powerlifter

Train to your goals an what you want out of lifting not targets that people told you you need to be able to not call yourself a beginner anymore, that being said irrespective of what your goals are a strong foundation is needed

Gidday Andy...

I completely agree with you... My above example assumes weight lifted by the same person with the same genetics limitations...

I should have framed my comment as " a body builder who progresses there bench press from 60kg to 100kg etc etc...."

my bad

Shit, I read that wrong.

It's all good snazzy

Just take 100/140/180 as being a beggineer powerlifter

Train to your goals an what you want out of lifting not targets that people told you you need to be able to not call yourself a beginner anymore, that being said irrespective of what your goals are a strong foundation is needed

For me its just a good round number...

2 plates / 3 plates / 4 plates....

How can you possibly ask that after what I just posted.?!?!?!?

Ok. lets take 2 100kg guys. Both 10%, both train exactly the same.

Guy 1 benches 80x10, squats 110 x10, and dealifts 145 x10

Guy 2 benches 150 x10, squat 240x10, dealifts 280x10

Which guys will be bigger?
Thanks Scott. This has challenged me.
If everything is the same except 1RM, the dude with bigger numbers must have better technique. How would that translate to a better result on stage?

Now, if they are both same height, weight, BF%, but train differently, could the guy with lower 1RM have higher 3x10, 1x20? (Since the high 1RM guy is saturated with fast twitch fibres.) May that make the guy with lower 1RM, better on stage?

Ok we are going down the wrong track with this when comparing 2 people. Different levers, muscle attachments and all that shit make it impossible to say the person a benches 100x10 and person B benches 130x10 so person B will be bigger.

The point is you have to look at the individual. If you are benching 100x10 and in 12 months time haven't progressed anywhere wether it's more time under tension, volume weights or what ever and are still lifting the same weight, no matter what any BB says they won't be any bigger.

BBs can go on and on about weight lifted doesn't matter but if you are not progressing in some way good luck getting any bigger.

This is where the 140/100/180 comes into it. If you can't lift these numbers it means you most likely have easily gains to be made in the max strength department and this will lead to quick muscle gains. After that point if you want focus on progressing in other areas.

Ok we are going down the wrong track with this when comparing 2 people. Different levers, muscle attachments and all that shit make it impossible to say the person a benches 100x10 and person B benches 130x10 so person B will be bigger.

The point is you have to look at the individual. If you are benching 100x10 and in 12 months time haven't progressed anywhere wether it's more time under tension, volume weights or what ever and are still lifting the same weight, no matter what any BB says they won't be any bigger.

BBs can go on and on about weight lifted doesn't matter but if you are not progressing in some way good luck getting any bigger.

This is where the 140/100/180 comes into it. If you can't lift these numbers it means you most likely have easily gains to be made in the max strength department and this will lead to quick muscle gains. After that point if you want focus on progressing in other areas.

Now that is some sweet bro-science right there lol

I do find it extremely funny that someone here thinks getting stronger to grow muscle is bro science.

So what, is the new BB theory that we should train to get weaker to grow more muscle.

fucking bodybuilders. Lol.

Wow, I'm kind of glad I missed this thread. It's been two blocks of wood bashing against each other and getting nowhere...

Heres a pic of me eating dinner

IMAG0258.jpg

Opinions?
cheers
trent

You cant base a bodybuilders results on the numbers they lift, of course you are wanting to progressively get stronger over time to build muscle (I am a believer in lifting as heavy as possible) but to say they need to hit 140/100/180 or they are classed as a beginner or have more muscle to grow or whatever is purely “strength bro-science”. I agree that if someone can only do 140/100/180 then yea maybe there is room for improvement but saying that you would need to see the results a bodybuilder is getting or what the that person is doing, because you cant base set numbers for everyone, so a 60kg guy who is 6ft would have the same base numbers as a 140kg islander who is 5’10? In bodybuilding terms we are talking, I can tell you now that the islander could prob walk into the gym with no training experience and squat close to 3 plates, def bench 2 and I would say go close to deadlifting 4...so after one session is that person classed as not a beginner? In bodybuilding terms i.e in the mirror before making these judgements, some bodybuilders wont even flat bench or deadlift and their results are just fine.

What I am saying is that in bodybuilding terms you need to be looking at the results in the mirror not so much in the gym to track progress, as I said above you of course need to progressively get stronger, I have never said you don’t, and never said that weight lift doesn’t matter, I have simply said that the 140/100/180 rule does not apply to bodybuilding like it does powerlifting. In bodybuilding you have a set number of reps and sets – between 1-4 x 4-12 (normally, must programs will cover those numbers in some degree), and whatever your chosen set/rep scheme is what you stick with and you progressively add weight from there.

A simple question why would a bodybuilder me maxing out in the 1st place?

Maxing out is a legitimate way of getting stronger. Getting stronger is one way of building muscle.

Bottom line is 140/100/180 are not big numbers at all. I would suggest they should be higher but that's just me. If someone is not able to hit them after years of training what they fuck have they been doing.

If you are going to test your strength with a 1RM you would want to know what you're doing.

I personally don't see the need if one is progressing on their normal template

If you are going to test your strength with a 1RM you would want to know what you're doing.

I personally don't see the need if one is progressing on their normal template

I agree with you. A bodybuilder will never need to max out, simple as that.

Your not needing to get 1rm numbers to build %'s for a new training plan, training 1rm will not build more muscle than what they arnt getting anyway out of normal bodybuilding training and what bodybuilding program would call to train towards 1rm's? None.

I see alot of people quoting scientific evidence to back up their claims or they are asking other members for scientific evidence to back up their claims so where is the scientific evidence to back some of there ideas and claims up?