• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Need advice on training program! BEGINNER!!

If you are going to test your strength with a 1RM you would want to know what you're doing.

I personally don't see the need if one is progressing on their normal template

If your progressing on normal workout yeah your right you don't have to max but is still a way of getting stronger.

I think a lot of the issue here is some people don't like being called beginners but really I have deadlifted 270 a few times now and I still see myself as pretty much a beginner lifter. I feel I have a long way to go before being advanced.

I agree with you. A bodybuilder will never need to max out, simple as that.

Your not needing to get 1rm numbers to build %'s for a new training plan, training 1rm will not build more muscle than what they arnt getting anyway out of normal bodybuilding training and what bodybuilding program would call to train towards 1rm's? None.

I see alot of people quoting scientific evidence to back up their claims or they are asking other members for scientific evidence to back up their claims so where is the scientific evidence to back some of there ideas and claims up?

How about you show us scientific evidence that getting strong doesn't build muscle.

How about you show us scientific evidence that getting strong doesn't build muscle.

This is silly.

Fuckin scientific evidence, Bazza and I'm agreeing with you, all one needs is self evident truth, stop comparing yourselves to others.

You only need to compare yourself from one point in time to another.

I have said in a number of my posts that you need to keep progressively getting stronger to build mass, or lets say you WILL get progressively stronger because for some builders it isnt always the weight that needs to progressively keep moving its the sets/reps, workout times etc.

Saying that, as you build muscle you will progressively get stronger even if thats not your focus. I believe (personal ideas) that its a mix of progressively adding more weight to the bar, but sticking to a set sets/reps scheme, some will want to see a procession of sets and reps over the course of a training cycle with maybe the weight staying around the same. All these ideas are procession in some way or another.

But as I said it you read through my posts I believe progressively getting stronger is what builds muscle, but that procession of strength is totally individual and no set numbers will come into it.

That's the thing I have said all along strength is obviously individual but these numbers are so low that it doesn't really matter. They easy targets for serious lifters. There are under 60kg girls hitting the deadlift number.

Of course you get strong on 1rms, the muscle building side of it, well I am not sure, I cant really see a 1rm, that you wouldnt be doing on a regular occasion, being able to directly stimulate muscle growth and for someone to say that the 1rm directly was responsible for muscle growth is very hard to say and I dont think would ever be tested simply due to the safety side of things and also the whole "whats the point" side of it - I think its the whole make up of a workout being bodybuilding or powerlifting that would stimulate muscle growth, not a single lift and as I said your not doing 1rm's everyday or a whole workout of 1rm's so you can really say that 1rm's can directly = muscle mass.

As I said for a bodybuilder there would be no point in doing 1rm's if your progressing in the other aspects of your training, again what would the point be? the cons out weigh the pros for a bodybuilder to be doing 1rm's or training for 1rm's.

I think I have been injured more on higher rep sets. Fatigue at the end of the sets causing problems.

+ 1 to this all injuries i have had lifting are from trying to grind out that last rep. Your concious of setup when going for pb

I think I have been injured more on higher rep sets. Fatigue at the end of the sets causing problems.

+ 1 to this all injuries i have had lifting are from trying to grind out that last rep. Your concious of setup when going for pb

Maybe you both need to look at form and set up when it comes to higher rep training, when fatigue sets in then form starts to drop which means you will get injured. Higher rep training and building endurance is still very important when it comes to powerlifting, so maybe you should include more high rep training into your training plans then this would mean better endurance to complete more sets/reps safetly and more effectively also include better muscle hypertrophy which will also help in building strength.

We are talking about the benefits of powerlifting aspects, or ideas into bodybuilding training but maybe we should be talking about different aspects you guys could take out of bodybuilding training to get better results with your powerlifting.

Maybe you both need to look at form and set up when it comes to higher rep training, when fatigue sets in then form starts to drop which means you will get injured. Higher rep training and building endurance is still very important when it comes to powerlifting, so maybe you should include more high rep training into your training plans then this would mean better endurance to complete more sets/reps safetly and more effectively also include better muscle hypertrophy which will also help in building strength.

We are talking about the benefits of powerlifting aspects, or ideas into bodybuilding training but maybe we should be talking about different aspects you guys could take out of bodybuilding training to get better results with your powerlifting.

Thumbs-up

Maybe it's because we don't lift baby weights.

Maybe it's because we don't lift baby weights.

I never said lift baby weights I said maybe you should include more higher rep training. Higher rep training does not = lifting baby weights.

As I have said in a number of posts I do not believe in lifting light, I think progressing through lifting more weight is the way to go, but that could include reps from 5-12, just because your going to the higher point of reps does not mean your lifting light weights, of course next to lifting a 1rm then the weight is going to be lighter.

Whoever said lift baby weights? As I said higher rep training and building endurance is very important when it comes to powerlifting, so maybe you should include more high rep training into your training plans then this would mean better endurance to complete more sets/reps (this could include anything from 10 x 1 to 1 x 10) safetly and more effectively also include better muscle hypertrophy which will also help in building strength.

I never said lift baby weights I said maybe you should include more higher rep training. Higher rep training does not = lifting baby weights.

As I have said in a number of posts I do not believe in lifting light, I think progressing through lifting more weight is the way to go, but that could include reps from 5-12, just because your going to the higher point of reps does not mean your lifting light weights, of course next to lifting a 1rm then the weight is going to be lighter.

Whoever said lift baby weights? As I said higher rep training and building endurance is very important when it comes to powerlifting, so maybe you should include more high rep training into your training plans then this would mean better endurance to complete more sets/reps (this could include anything from 10 x 1 to 1 x 10) safetly and more effectively also include better muscle hypertrophy which will also help in building strength.

Lol. The baby weights thing was ment to be a joke but my phone died before I could edit it.

What makes you think powerlifters don't do higher rep sets. Most Powerlifting programs have high rep work included for assistance work. I love low rep stuff but include plenty of high rep work as well. I don't see the point in limiting myself to one method.

Lol. The baby weights thing was ment to be a joke but my phone died before I could edit it.

What makes you think powerlifters don't do higher rep sets. Most Powerlifting programs have high rep work included for assistance work. I love low rep stuff but include plenty of high rep work as well. I don't see the point in limiting myself to one method.

Thats good mate, I never said powerlifters didnt I just suggested that if you have problems with injuries or have been injured with high rep stuff then maybe you need to look at form.

Thats good mate, I never said powerlifters didnt I just suggested that if you have problems with injuries or have been injured with high rep stuff then maybe you need to look at form.

Honestly my injuries from weightlifting all together have been minimal, high or low rep. I just don't buy the argument that low rep lifting is so much more risky than high rep. I play footy and the risk of injury is bloody 100x what it is in weightlifting.

Honestly my injuries from weightlifting all together have been minimal, high or low rep. I just don't buy the argument that low rep lifting is so much more risky than high rep. I play footy and the risk of injury is bloody 100x what it is in weightlifting.

100% a agree with you mate, but for a bodybuilder to be doing 1rm's it is a higher risk to them due to it being for no reason, and if they did get injured from doing 1rm's then they would be out of training for X number of weeks/months for no reason. I dont think me or little hammer were trying to saying that 1rm is more risky than anyother training its just more risky in the regard that they are taking a risk for no reason, and no benefit to their results.