• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Need advice on training program! BEGINNER!!

Actually bodybuilders don't need to max out on their weights. In fact there is lots of evidence to suggest otherwise to build muscle fibres. Lower weights, higher reps.

Let's remember that a bodybuilders focus is not to lift the heaviest amount of weight. So the PL'er numbers that are tossed around are irrelevant.

Bodybuilding, is exactly that, building the body. Some can lift heavy, some can't. It's about building the muscle, creating symmetry in the body and aesthetically finding overall balance.

PL'ers or Strongmen don't typically give a shit about aesthetics, it's more of a competition of pure strenth and the heavier the weight, the better. Let's also not forget that PL'ers can be big fat guys, or skinny lean guys - strength has got nothing to do with size.

This is not so, for bodybuilders.

Remember the OP folks and just because you're a powerlifter, doesn't mean everybody is or is aiming to be one. Sure, people want to be strong, but strength isn't the main aim for a bodybuilder. The focus is different.

Here's a link to Fadi's Sticky, which I found fascinating when I first joined the forum Chad.

Lfs2shrt2besml is on the money and being a bb'er who has competed, he knows what he's talking about ;)

http://ausbb.com/bodybuilding-training-discussions/9124-fadi-bodybuilding.html

The goals set by some are arbitrary.

Some blokes pick up a bar and squat 200 for the first time, while others need to work at it.

What I'm more impressed with is a bloke that picks up a bar at for the first time say 100 and six months later improves those numbers 100%
Are his muscles going to be larger? Most likely.

You've got to stop looking at what other people lift and focus on comparing what you lift over a protracted time.

I'm not really confidant that most here have a full understand the concept of progressive resistance.

A body builder doing 3 sets of 10 at 100kg on his chest....Is theoretically going to have a bigger chest then if they can only manage 3 sets of 10 at 60kg

This is where things go wrong.

Both methods biuld strength if the exercise is progressive

We need to get rid of the gyms, and go back to the begining, everybody should buy a baby cow and carry it everywhere. And drink lots of Milo.

Actually bodybuilders don't need to max out on their weights. In fact there is lots of evidence to suggest otherwise to build muscle fibres. Lower weights, higher reps.

Let's remember that a bodybuilders focus is not to lift the heaviest amount of weight. So the PL'er numbers that are tossed around are irrelevant.

Bodybuilding, is exactly that, building the body. Some can lift heavy, some can't. It's about building the muscle, creating symmetry in the body and aesthetically finding overall balance.

PL'ers or Strongmen don't typically give a shit about aesthetics, it's more of a competition of pure strenth and the heavier the weight, the better. Let's also not forget that PL'ers can be big fat guys, or skinny lean guys - strength has got nothing to do with size.

This is not so, for bodybuilders.

Remember the OP folks and just because you're a powerlifter, doesn't mean everybody is or is aiming to be one. Sure, people want to be strong, but strength isn't the main aim for a bodybuilder. The focus is different.

Here's a link to Fadi's Sticky, which I found fascinating when I first joined the forum Chad.

Lfs2shrt2besml is on the money and being a bb'er who has competed, he knows what he's talking about ;)

http://ausbb.com/bodybuilding-training-discussions/9124-fadi-bodybuilding.html

Any trainee regardless of what they aspire to be, need to mix up their routine, you know...building muscle is NOT a destination but a journey.
The goals change all the time, I should know, if I took the term of progression literally I would think and expect be bigger than the hulk, with longer legs and smaller calves.

I've written this before; we would benefit training like power lifters and strongmen. Power lifters and strongmen would also benefit training like bodybiulders, from to time, and most do.

Last edited:
Any trainee regardless of what they aspire to be, need to mix up their routine, you know...building muscle is NOT a destination but a journey.
The goals change all the time, I should know, if I took the term of progression literally I would think and expect be bigger than the hulk, with longer legs and smaller calves.

I've written this before; we would benefit training like power lifters and strongmen. Power lifters and strongmen would also benefit training like bodybiulders, from to time, and most do.

I agree Andy, completely. And most on this forum, seem to do a bit of both. But just because someone doesn't hit those magical PL'er numbers, doesn't mean they're a pussy?

Some people aren't striving to be the strongest mofo on the planet, nor does it matter to them. Some bb'ers focus is just on aesthetics, particularly those who compete.

Can they get stronger? Sure they can. Can a PL'er have a great body? Sure they can.

creating symmetry in the body and aesthetically finding overall balance.

This is an interesting and common comment.

I beleive most gravitate toward what they are good at.

Creating symmetry is this, created, it is not something which can be modified by exercise.

Aesthetically pleasing is subjective and again is dictated by bone structure and muscle shape.

Overall balance, can mean anything.

creating symmetry in the body and aesthetically finding overall balance.

This is an interesting and common comment.

I beleive most gravitate toward what they are good at.

Creating symmetry is this, created, it is not something which can be modified by exercise.

Aesthetically pleasing is subjective and again is dictated by bone structure and muscle shape.

Overall balance, can mean anything.

Well that's the aim, whether they can or can't, is largely left to their genetic makeup. Some of the most well known pro's and Mr O winners are not what I'd call aesthetically pleasing, nor do they have great symmetry. But it's what they strive for isn't it?
Nobody is the perfect being. Although some historic bb'ers came pretty physically close to perfection, for them.

Generally speaking :

PL'ers don't give a toss about aesthetics.
BB'ers don't give a toss about high weights.

But I think we're seeing more of a distinct overlap of training and conditioning from both parties these days. Anyway, this thread has been well and truly hijacked! lol

Good luck Chad! Keep doing what you're doing! You're looking fantastic :)

Powerlifting is powerlifting
Strongman is strongman
oly lifting is oly lifting
bodybuilding is bodybuilding

I agree that sometimes you can mix it around but when it comes down to it you have a goal and you train for that goal.

As Jchen said, prime example Matt Kroc he is a world class powerlifter and now becoming a fairly good national bodybuilder, now he will use some aspects of powerlifting I would say in his training to become a bodybuilder but it would be more so exercise selection instead of how is sets his training program up, i.e he would be doing a 5-6 day bodybuilding split but he may add in "powerlifting movement" such as JM press into his workout for example. But when it comes down to it when he is focusing on powerlifting his training will reflect that and when he is training for bodybuilding his training will reflect that. Its not really hard to work towards a goal if you have a clear idea of what your doing, it does become hard though when you have a number of diff options on what you should be doing, the way I see it is goal + training specifically for that goal = results.

Last edited:
I agree Andy, completely. And most on this forum, seem to do a bit of both. But just because someone doesn't hit those magical PL'er numbers, doesn't mean they're a pussy?

Some people aren't striving to be the strongest mofo on the planet, nor does it matter to them. Some bb'ers focus is just on aesthetics, particularly those who compete.

Can they get stronger? Sure they can. Can a PL'er have a great body? Sure they can.

We are not talking about magical PL numbers, we are talking a basic beginner level of strength, these are not big numbers, 100/140/180, anyone playing with weights should be able to achieve these within their first 12 months of training. No matter if training for strength or Body building, we all lift weights and progressively over load. It's impossible to be training 'seriously' for a year or more and not naturally achieve these basic numbers as part of the process no matter what your aim in training.

If someone has been training for a year or more and allegedly has been serious and they have not hit these numbers I would question what they have been doing in the gym during that time. But I know one thing it was certainly not serious training and progressive overload. :

My numbers we achieved training an average of 2-3 hours per week in a basic home gym on my own with no spotters or coaches, imagine what I could have done if I was serious....

Last edited: