• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

My Off-Season Mass routine

Don't even know why this argument is going on, you can find information to make anything sound legit. There are studies to say that balance bands work though it was later proven to be placebo affect. Placebo affect on it's own makes up on average over 20% of positive results

This is the advice i wanted to give which you keep skipping over.

You COULD (if you want to) do on less working set which won't make much difference in your gains to leave ample time left to add in 2-3 exercises of triceps which should develop some decent gains.

Doing one less working set and adding 2-3 more exercise to a different muscle group. this would make sure to diminish the POSSIBILITY of any negative affects on muscle tissue.

Last edited:
If you did not read Bazza i said i am on the phone and have no studies on hand, so i quickly searched a link.

There is no need to be a keyboard warrior and knock on everything with nothing but "trust me i don't use studies cause they are a waste of time". How about some real information to help everyone knowledge?

With most studies there are some that say they work some that say they don't. So why risk it the chances that one is wrong or right and stick to the best viable option is all i am saying.

Mate I am not a keyboard warrior I have read plenty of training information and also done plenty of training myself. I could search the net and find info saying to keep workouts under 45min and some that say don't worry about it but the bottom line is when you look at the huge range of ways to train it doesn't seem to make a difference. In fact many very big very strong guys do very long training sessions.

There is even one study that I read that said the acute elevation of cortisol during a workout may actually be a factor in signaling the growth of extra muscle.

Mate I am not a keyboard warrior I have read plenty of training information and also done plenty of training myself. I could search the net and find info saying to keep workouts under 45min and some that say don't worry about it but the bottom line is when you look at the huge range of ways to train it doesn't seem to make a difference. In fact many very big very strong guys do very long training sessions.

There is even one study that I read that said the acute elevation of cortisol during a workout may actually be a factor in signaling the growth of extra muscle.

Thats is exactly right people all all different and studies are all different just like i said in each post.
So please tell me why dropping down to 2 sets from 3 and adding some triceps to chest and some back to bis is a bad idea?
I have stated this idea numerous times with nothing coming from you but argument and wanting to prove a point with no back up information. People are not here to be heroes and prove points but to provide information they have, whether it be right, wrong or different. Not to start useless arguments and skip over the main suggestion people make.

Thats is exactly right people all all different and studies are all different just like i said in each post.
So please tell me why dropping down to 2 sets from 3 and adding some triceps to chest and some back to bis is a bad idea?
I have stated this idea numerous times with nothing coming from you but argument and wanting to prove a point with no back up information. People are not here to be heroes and prove points but to provide information they have, whether it be right, wrong or different. Not to start useless arguments and skip over the main suggestion people make.

Mate don't accuse me of not providing anything to back up my information when you have not provided anything at all to back up what you are saying.

Again mate skipping over the actual suggestion of training to prove a point. You have not commented on the training suggestions you are only on here to prove you are right. Will it make you feel better if say I was wrong and you are right. Lets just give this guys some workout advice, add some triceps to chest and bis to back no more hereo talk please.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
I will PM you the studies when I am next on the computer if that will make you happy. There is no point filling this guys thread up with who is right or wrong.

Again mate skipping over the actual suggestion of training to prove a point. You have not commented on the training suggestions you are only on here to prove you are right. Will it make you feel better if say I was am wrong you are right. Lets just give this guys some workout advice, add some triceps to chest and bis to back no more hereo talk please.

No I am not here for you to say I am right. I dont care what you say. I was making my comments so the OP doesn't waste his time worrying about every workout stopping short of 45 min so that his muscles don't melt.

I didn't make a comment on your suggested change because i didn't think it would make a difference to be worth worrying about.

So trying to stick between 45-60 mins and adding in some triceps and biceps which he isn't doing is not a good idea. Then that's all ya had to say not go on a who is right rampage and not answer the question that I put out about 5 time.

I think adding biceps and triceps in will make a difference to their growth and dropping one working set wont affect much growth. So we will agree to disagree.

So trying to stick between 45-60 mins and adding in some triceps and biceps which he isn't doing is not a good idea. Then that's all ya had to say not go on a who is right rampage and not answer the question that I put out about 5 time.

I think adding biceps and triceps in will make a difference to their growth and dropping one working set wont affect much growth. So we will agree to disagree.

I didn't say 45-60 min workouts are a bad idea. I said its not going to matter. 45-60 minute workouts can work fine just don't worry about muscle melting if your workouts go longer.

Again I didn't say you bicep tricep idea was bad just that I won't really make a difference worth worrying about and looking at his workout there are plenty of exercises that hit the bi/tris anyway.

I am interested in your results. How have the less than 45min cortisol avoiding workouts been going for you. I must be negative muscle mass these days with all the +45 min workouts I have done.

Everyone trains differently. I would drop working sets down to 1-2 and add triceps to chest and Bis to back.

THERE ARE alreadty triceps and biceps exercises in my routine

wtf :confused:

Monday

Incline Dumbbell
3 sets, 6-8 reps
Incline Flyes
3 sets, 10-12 reps
Weighted Dips
3 sets, 6-8 reps
Cable Crossovers
3 sets, 10-12 reps

Tuesday

Deadlifts
3 sets, 6 reps
Wide grip pullups
3 sets, max reps
Low Cable Rows
3 sets, 6-8 reps for the first set, 10-12 for the next two
Lat Pulldowns
EZ curls
3 sets, 8 reps
Hammer curls
3 sets, 8 reps

Thursday

Squats
4 sets, 6-8 reps
Leg extensions
4 sets with a "static hold" at the end of each set, 10 reps
Leg curls
3 sets, 8-10 reps
Standing Calf Raises
4 sets, 10-12 reps
Donkey Calf Raises
4 sets, 12-15 reps
Walking Dumbbell Lunges
3 lengths of corridor

Friday

Overhead Press
3 sets, 6-8 reps
Side/rear laterals
3 sets, 10 reps per set done in superset style
Shrugs
3 sets, 6-8 reps
Close grip press
3 sets 6-8 reps
Lying EZ extensions
3 sets 8 reps

Is it solid?

Only work sets are listed above. All sets to failure, utilizing a few partial or cheat reps on the last set (if that's safe)

Heavy weights + lots of rest + lots of sleep

Monday

Incline Dumbbell
3 sets, 6-8 reps
Incline Flyes
3 sets, 10-12 reps
Weighted Dips
3 sets, 6-8 reps
Cable Crossovers
3 sets, 10-12 reps

Tuesday

Deadlifts
3 sets, 6 reps
Wide grip pullups
3 sets, max reps
Low Cable Rows
Lat Pulldowns
EZ curls
3 sets, 8 reps
Hammer curls
3 sets, 8 reps

Thursday

Squats
4 sets, 6-8 reps
Leg extensions
4 sets with a "static hold" at the end of each set, 10 reps
Leg curls
3 sets, 8-10 reps
Standing Calf Raises
4 sets, 10-12 reps
Donkey Calf Raises
4 sets, 12-15 reps
Walking Dumbbell Lunges
3 lengths of corridor

Friday

Overhead Press
3 sets, 6-8 reps
Side/rear laterals
3 sets, 10 reps per set done in superset style
Shrugs
3 sets, 6-8 reps
Close grip press
3 sets 6-8 reps
Lying EZ extensions
3 sets 8 reps

Is it solid?

Only work sets are listed above. All sets to failure, utilizing a few partial or cheat reps on the last set (if that's safe)

Heavy weights + lots of rest + lots of sleep

I would only treat the last set as "the work set" (going to failure).

if one truly goes to failure on all exerices then i think, for most, a maximum of forty minutes is all one could do.

i'd say youd overwork your system on your routine after one month.

if one truly goes to failure on all exerices then i think, for most, a maximum of forty minutes is all one could do.

Thats is what i was trying to say, have less working sets and look at adding in another exercises for different muscle group (triceps when doing Chest). 3 working sets till failure for over 45mins is harsh on your system, unless your diet and sleep is perfect.
I believe over training is very possible in most peoples routine not only for your muscles but central nervous systems.

Last edited:

That depends if you believe going to failure is necessary or that you have to go to failure to consider it a work set.

You don't think dips or incline dbs work the tris

I think they are working the tris but also working the chest. If you have already reached failure on multiple exercises. why risk overtraining the muscle and instead swap to an isolated triceps movement?

Its just an opinion on how to get a more overall physique with giving your arms a more defined workout as they are not being hit very much at all besides compound movements. Some people even do Bis and Tris as an actual workout day.

Bazza i think we train completely different, though i am not saying your way is wrong just different, you seem to want to prove me wrong once again rather then accept my advice is different. I am not sure why you are trying to do this?

Last edited:
That depends if you believe going to failure is necessary or that you have to go to failure to consider it a work set.

He stated all sets are to failure that was why over training is possibility. 3 to failure sets per exercise is pretty harsh to your system. I know you don;t believe that but i do and i am not saying either of us is wrong or right just different

I think they are working the tris but also working the chest. If you have already reached failure on multiple exercises. why risk overtraining the muscle and instead swap to an isolated triceps movement?

Its just an opinion on how to get a more overall physique with giving your arms a more defined workout as they are not being hit very much at all besides compound movements. Some people even do Bis and Tris as an actual workout day.

Again unless you are very advanced or have very high strength levels (do you??) your chances or overtraining are virtually nill. Don't even worry about it.

You will get a better physique by concentrating on dips than any tricep isolation exercise again unless you are very advanced, I don't know, are you ??

Again unless you are very advanced or have very high strength levels (do you??) your chances or overtraining are virtually nill. Don't even worry about it.

You will get a better physique by concentrating on dips than any tricep isolation exercise again unless you are very advanced, I don't know, are you ??

I am not saying stop the dips i am saying do less to failure sets for chest and instead hit some more tricep movements. Dips are an excellent exercise don't get me wrong.

Over training can happen for less advanced people, unless i am missing something. Not saying i am right just didn't know your skill level decided how much your body can take.

I am not saying stop the dips i am saying do less to failure sets for chest and instead hit some more tricep movements. Dips are an excellent exercise don't get me wrong.

Over training can happen for less advanced people, unless i am missing something. Not saying i am right just didn't know your skill level decided how much your body can take.

You are missing something. Someone benching 80 kg for a few sets isn't going to overtrain especially when doing only 45min workouts a day. It's just not that much stress on the body.

Take an advanced lifter benching 180+, squatting and deadlifting over 300kg they have much more chance of overtraining because the are lifting huge weights that can cause big stress on the body.

Overtraining isn't something beginner and intermediate lifters need to worry about.