• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Mike Mentzer's Heavy Duty Training

Mentzer was a fucking lunatic, I'd never try and understand his cocaine infused ramblings.
Jones himself was a tiny guy, with no appreciable muscle mass and no definable reason for believing that his system was the best, save for the fact that he apparently hated working out.

Mentzer believed:
That heavier training through progression took more of a toll on the body as one progressed
That the more intense the workout, the shorter it should be. "For every slight increase in intensity, there has to be a disproportionate decrease in volume."
Mentzer believed that "intensity" was defined as "how hard you train", a completely subjective concept. Everyone else in strength training and physical culture knew (and know) that "intensity" describes the amount of weight used in relation to one's limit lift. Thus, 90% of one's 1RM (one rep max), is a far greater intensity than 60% 1RM.
"The full completion of the recovery process may take anywhere from one day to a couple of weeks." Sport science would disagree, claiming that individuals' training capacities may vary widely, but that most trainees recover in between 6 and 72 hours, depending on the volume and intensity of one's workout. He also thought that "up to 3 months might be required in order to recover from a high intensity workout for the biceps" in spite of the fact that BROKEN BONES HEAL FASTER THAN THAT.
"Anatomically and physiologically, every human being is essentially the same", in spite of the fact that he believed in somatotyping, and the fact that it's been widely demonstrated that no two people are "essentially the same", exhibiting widely varying metabolisms, enzymatic processes, organ location and sizes, and muscle fiber compositions.
That one should consume massive amounts of carbs, and no more than 100g of protein a day! HAHAHAHAHA.
That one needs only to do one set for each bodypart to total failure every week and a half, though he regularly exceeded this volume by an order of magnitude.
Lastly, Mentzer believed that "the mind can alter any physiological system. This is hilarious, given the fact that he didn't believe that one's recovery EVER adapted to training, hahahahaha. (Lewis)

Mentzer was a fucking lunatic, I'd never try and understand his cocaine infused ramblings.
Jones himself was a tiny guy, with no appreciable muscle mass and no definable reason for believing that his system was the best, save for the fact that he apparently hated working out.

Mentzer believed:
That heavier training through progression took more of a toll on the body as one progressed
That the more intense the workout, the shorter it should be. "For every slight increase in intensity, there has to be a disproportionate decrease in volume."
Mentzer believed that "intensity" was defined as "how hard you train", a completely subjective concept. Everyone else in strength training and physical culture knew (and know) that "intensity" describes the amount of weight used in relation to one's limit lift. Thus, 90% of one's 1RM (one rep max), is a far greater intensity than 60% 1RM.
"The full completion of the recovery process may take anywhere from one day to a couple of weeks." Sport science would disagree, claiming that individuals' training capacities may vary widely, but that most trainees recover in between 6 and 72 hours, depending on the volume and intensity of one's workout. He also thought that "up to 3 months might be required in order to recover from a high intensity workout for the biceps" in spite of the fact that BROKEN BONES HEAL FASTER THAN THAT.
"Anatomically and physiologically, every human being is essentially the same", in spite of the fact that he believed in somatotyping, and the fact that it's been widely demonstrated that no two people are "essentially the same", exhibiting widely varying metabolisms, enzymatic processes, organ location and sizes, and muscle fiber compositions.
That one should consume massive amounts of carbs, and no more than 100g of protein a day! HAHAHAHAHA.
That one needs only to do one set for each bodypart to total failure every week and a half, though he regularly exceeded this volume by an order of magnitude.
Lastly, Mentzer believed that "the mind can alter any physiological system. This is hilarious, given the fact that he didn't believe that one's recovery EVER adapted to training, hahahahaha. (Lewis)

0ni

i didnt read the body of that, cause I'm not really interested in MM.
I just take this to task...

"Jones himself was a tiny guy, with no appreciable muscle mass and no definable reason for believing that his system was the best, save for the fact that he apparently hated working out."

Arthur Jones, where to begin...
His passion was, weight training, also...hunting, trapping, producing wildlife doc's, fast planes and fast women.

If you take the time to read his bulltetins with a subjective view you would appreciate what I'm saying.

Not many people could fit into their lives what Arthur did.

When Arthurs focused on something he was a genius, He made an honest attempt to improve on the barbell and did in some areas.

When arthur trained he trained brutally hard, many would say like no other, his weight went up and down over time, as he jumped from one thing to another.

This was taken at the time when Casey and Arthur were conducting PTC, project total conditioning at West Point.

yjugu7ur.jpg

The people involved in that "Colorado experiment" used combinations of, barbells, universal and nautilus.

Arthur pulled out early due to illness, but you can see noticeable size increase.

The rumour was that Casey was sneaking out and doing extra and taking steroids, even if that was true and it wasn't, Arthur was dead against, drugs and lengthy "bodybuilding" work which was the trend, at the time, he added considerable mass in a short time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He has good size in his arms but I'm not exactly blown away

Looking at that picture in isolation you are right.

But I (wrongly) thought, what i wrote might put things into perspective, but like most thing you discuss, you do it with blinkers on.

I'm trying to be diplomatic here

you don't have to be huge, or even big, to have an informative opinion.

The legacy of Arthur Jones will always remain in terms to his contribution to the understanding of intensity.

I actually did my best standing long jump (2.9m) after a winter of his type of training, mostly on Nautilus machines supersetting the leg press and leg extension in 1988 (training at findlays, Hawthorn).

Workouts were short and painful.

Last edited:

Mentzer believed:

0ni, just for fucking once I'd like to read what YOUR thoughts and experiences are not someone elses and not fucking Jamie Lewis'
Stop coming on here like you know fucking everything about anything with your whole 2.5 years of lifting experience.

If fucking Einstein was here you'd be arguing his theory of relativity for fucks sake.

Having said that I don't believe that Mentzer trained how he preached, he had an agenda like most others.

0ni, just for fucking once I'd like to read what YOUR thoughts and experiences are not someone elses and not fucking Jamie Lewis'
Stop coming on here like you know fucking everything about anything with your whole 2.5 years of lifting experience.

If fucking Einstein was here you'd be arguing his theory of relativity for fucks sake.

Having said that I don't believe that Mentzer trained how he preached, he had an agenda like most others.

:D

The Washington Redskins won 3 super bowls using HIT training. In fact, it was all the rage in college and pro Football Training for a long time. I personally found it sucked balls but but there are a lot of huge Nfl players that would say otherwise.

The Washington Redskins won 3 super bowls using HIT training. In fact, it was all the rage in college and pro Football Training for a long time. I personally found it sucked balls but but there are a lot of huge Nfl players that would say otherwise.

He was assistant to Dan Riley, Houston.

There's is a big influence in NFL, Kevin Tolbert at the 49ers

I think it depends a lot on what they were actually doing. There are so many variations of HIT. I think the Mentzer version is dogshit, to be quite honest. It's no secret that I'm a high volume guy

I think it depends a lot on what they were actually doing. There are so many variations of HIT. I think the Mentzer version is dogshit, to be quite honest. It's no secret that I'm a high volume guy

I have no idea what their doing, I'd say templates would be tailored to a point.

There are so many variations of training in general.

For the record, DC training is a form of HIT- but I would not call this low volume.
It's essentially 9 sets with a 6RM for your pressing muscles for example

For the record, DC training is a form of HIT- but I would not call this low volume.
It's essentially 9 sets with a 6RM for your pressing muscles for example

Do you know who originally coined the term H.I.T [MENTION=8399]0ni[/MENTION]; ?
Do you actually know what H.I.T is?

I personally don't like it, as it has (over the years) created too much dogma, and turned into many stupid things by people who think they know what was done in Deland.

High "Intensity" Training
I believe it was a product of Weider, who again seemed to hate training but loved oiled up muscle men