• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Mike Mentzer's Heavy Duty Training

Not a fan of this at all
I've never really seen anyone succeed on this without drugs
I have no idea why, because hormones shouldn't make the slightest bit of difference on if training is optimal, but that's the correlation

Not a fan of this at all
I've never really seen anyone succeed on this without drugs
I have no idea why, because hormones shouldn't make the slightest bit of difference on if training is optimal, but that's the correlation

Seriously 0ni

Heavy duty rules.

I'd look at some of the later incarnations like Yates or max ot basically same without the negatives

So is the routine in this book more like the typical bodybuilding routine or is it still the 6 day rest or whatever because be fucked if im sitting around for 6 days.

So is the routine in this book more like the typical bodybuilding routine or is it still the 6 day rest or whatever because be fucked if im sitting around for 6 days.

More like typical split, download Jeff Wiley's book and have a read it's free online

Heavy duty rules.

I'd look at some of the later incarnations like Yates or max ot basically same without the negatives

Sorry to thread hijack, anyone tried Yates blood and guts?

I like the idea of the working sets to failure.

BB focused of course. Thoughts?

Sorry to thread hijack, anyone tried Yates blood and guts?

I like the idea of the working sets to failure.

BB focused of course. Thoughts?

Its awesome, although you really need a solid training partner to get the most out of it..

OP give it a serious go for 4 weeks
You'll know if it works or not by then

True, apart from not having to work as hard

Yeah, but it's not as if you can take drugs and magically get into contest shape lol
I train at an anytime, there are dudes running grams of gear + fatburners, gh, slin etc and they all look terrible. Permabulkers with no training intensity. They see the pros training and it looks so easy to them, they don't know what real training is like lol.

I like to think of drugs making things more efficient, not easier. Shitty training + shitty diet = dogshit physique. Shitting training + shitty diet + hormones = deep fried dogshit :eek:

Yeah, but it's not as if you can take drugs and magically get into contest shape lol
I train at an anytime, there are dudes running grams of gear + fatburners, gh, slin etc and they all look terrible. Permabulkers with no training intensity. They see the pros training and it looks so easy to them, they don't know what real training is like lol.

There's not having to train as hard and then there's just lazy fucks
Guys like that will look and train like shit regardless

I think for condition, you need to train just as hard whether or not you take drugs
Size is a different matter, to an extent.
You don't accidentally drug your way to a FFM index of 25 with 6% body fat that's for sure

I am a huge fan of Max-ot/Dorian Yates style training - Max-ot has been the core of my training for the past 10 years - I would never move away from this style of training for good - love it.

In regards to Mike Mentzers Heavy Duty - it takes it another step (or 2) above Max-ot/dorian yates style training - I have never truely - even though I have tried - to get my head fully around how his training principles really work. There are also alot of theriors rolling around that he didnt really train like this until late in his career and had built his physique with other forms of tradional methods/high volume heavy training (not huge volume - but higher than Heavy Duty)

Of course its worth a crack if you really want to do it - but you really have to be at a fairly mature training age to do so - I would honestly suggest looking at the Max-ot method and maybe try this 1st, if this is going to be your 1st venture into "heavy weight/low volume/higher intensity workouts"

You will prob need to sign up to the website - but alot of the "spam" they send out is fairly useful - or just put a fake email haha - will give you access to HEAPS of different Max-ot workouts.

AST Sports Science - High-Performance Sports Nutrition Supplements

Mike mentzer, made most of his muscle mass, training under Arthur Jones, although Jones only trained him a couple of times, it was mostly Darden and Kim Wood.

He met Viator in the early 70's and was blown away by his size.

Kim Wood has some interesting stories to tell about viator, menzter and Coe and others.
Viator was the leader of this particular pack, the rest were just followers.
Mentzer couldn't string two words together.

Jones didn't like them, bodybuilders in general.