• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

loss of speed?

Ahh well thats why there is like 100 professional strength and conditioning jobs in Aus and like 10,000 in the US

In part I agree Silverback, especially at when the athlete is only new to weights, but their needs change and therefore the emphasis on differing exercises to accommodate the specifics of the sport. And for injury prevention this will be different for a lot of sports due to the differing mechanisms (technique, surface etc). And a coach (especially at junior level) should be the one that teaches skill, in the pro day and age this is a designated skills coach and biomechanist usually.

I disagree with Joel, I think teaching a skill and perfecting it is much harder and takes much longer than teaching someone to be strong and therefore we have no excuse to bring strength training into younger athletes training. It would go far to remove some of the injuries they get.

A large % of the coaches in the US have come from the physical culture background, they have grown up in the iron dungeon environment. They have had a big influence.

Here?
Just young ignorants waiving certificates to say they went to university to learn how to balance on a Swiss ball, then you have the more advanced where they teach you how to balance on a Swiss ball doing squats, now that's cutting edge.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited:
You would like to think a player is recruited based on skill.
Followed by aerobic capacity.
Then a strong mind.
Then strength biulding is the easy part.
It always comes back to; you can't make gasoline out of goats piss.
Posted via Mobile Device

Surely we must all agree the regardless of whether a proffesional is playing either basketball, football, tennis and such... Your basic; squat pull push is the corner stone to strength and power.

In my mind; a strenght coaches job is to design a template focused around biulding strength and power an element of strength and above all exercise that is safe and designed to minimize injury on the field.
It's the coach that developes/enhances skill and recruiting.

This is not an argument, just my thoughts.
It's the minimalist in me.
Posted via Mobile Device

Andy, this whole thread exists BECAUSE the OP was doing those things and going BACKWARDS.

Read the first post again, he does no fluff, uses a highly credentialed program, BUT ITS NOT SPORT SPECIFIC, so the carryover is nil.

There are other factors, for sure, but if there is no carryover from what your doing in the gym to the field, its a waste of time, and in his case, its even worse because he is going backwards.

If the OP was doing flyes and curls with leg extinctions(not a spelling error) then we would say squat/pull/press, but he's not.

there's nothing wrong with the exercises he's doing. its how he is doing them. look at the routine he posted and it has way too much volume for inseason.

under recovering

Last edited:
For me to understand you markos; define "sport specific".

What I read into the op's plight is not the choice of exercise but more the frequency of what he is doing throughout the week in season.
Posted via Mobile Device

As an aside the exercises you mention could benefit.

Diagnosing that part over the net is futile.
Posted via Mobile Device

As an aside the exercises you mention could benefit.

Diagnosing that part over the net is futile at best.
Posted via Mobile Device

'Roids will make you recover quicker. While I do not advocate the use of drugs, how can you be sure your peers and competitors aren't using, giving them an edge over you?

God forbid. Our kids use weights in high school under supervision, there's a good chance they'll become actually healthy haha
Posted via Mobile Device

Damn good question.

a smaller portion of your time (now) should be spent doing weights, since it's the competition season for GAY-FL, i mean AFL. Lifting to get stronger is one thing, lifting to get powerful is another thing.

not trying to start beef here but AFL is not Gay!!!! :mad:
Eaasily one of the most (if not the most) physically excruciating sports out there.

When my friends go on "adventures" in Tassie, the locals ask where theyre from.

They always answer Australia lol

T

In Australia we are very backward in regards to sports strength and conditioning - The way we do it in Aus is we have a good young athlete, plays through his teen years, plays rep then finally signs with a club and then they teach him how to train and even then its not that crash hot - then ppl wonder why we arnt really top class when it comes to international sport.

We need to be developing athletes from a young age in regards to strength and conditioning...its alot easier to teach someone how to catch a ball than how to be strong.

The All Blacks top squat from research is a 220kg half squat for a triple by Clay Hayman (220kg @ 120BW).

I think even my squat beats that.

The All Blacks top squat from research is a 220kg half squat for a triple by Clay Hayman (220kg @ 120BW).

I think even my squat beats that.

Iam a huge All Black fan...always have been and I have followed there strength training abit and I have heard of squats from forwards of upto 240kgs @ 110-115kgs.

Brad Thorne ex-bronco and all black used to have huge numbers!

I train Patricio Noriega Jr (his dad is the ex Wallaby and one of the best props ever to play the game) - and he has told me abit about what the wallabies did and Sr had a bench of 200kg raw!