• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

loss of speed?

When I put on more weight I lost a lot of speed. I have now lost a lot and my speed has come back.

The lighter something is, the less force is required to change its direction.

Force = mass x acceleration

Max gets much, much faster as he adds weight, because its all functional.

Andy you are so wrong on this one I dont know where to begin.

An AFL player, at draft camp, has to test different things than an NFL player at Combine.

Like it or not, they will be evaluated on these tests. Whether you or I agree on them is irrelevant, they are the tests.

Combine test - bench press (lunacy), agility, vertical leap, 40 yards sprint

Draft camp - tests beep test, agility, 3k run, 20m sprint, vertical, agility

To even get a look in, you HAVE to test well at these, no choice.

Rory's conditioning never enters the equation, an AFL boy is graded hardest on endurance.

Your rugby/football analogy was poor.

Did you watch Carmichael Hunt severly cramp in the 3rd quater and take no further part, after 3 touches. Issy has the smallest tank in rugby, those that know say he has no future in AFL because of it.

You MUST train for your sport, no question.

OP, Rorys program is useless for you and it doesnt exist, did you not read how I train him differently depending on his energy/recuperation.

If I had a set program, I'd give him a piece of paper and send him to his own gym, thats what he had before and it failed dismally. Its why he's with me now.

Heres something that keeps bringing him back.

He is the same age as Max, but 62kg heavier. He said if he could lift what Max does now, he'd already be in College. No question.

Some talk the talk, others provide living breathing examples. How can he argue with my methods?

Mind you, Max claims if he was 6'7" and 137kg, he'd be on WSM lol

All I'll say is strength and power do not translate to skill.
My analogy between footy and rugby is damn good.

All things being equal a skilled boxer will always hit harder than someone whom is twice a strong.

I'll catch up with you later and discuss, I might learn something.
Posted via Mobile Device

Wow you're the crazy old grandpa of the family.

Hehe, touch'e Dave.

Ever since that first day where a proffesional strength coach was employed full time there has been controversy.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sport has gone pro now Andy.

When I played, a talent scout from St Kilda came out and picked the best players.

Now they go to camp, test in different areas, perform well in interviews.

The greatest midfielder of the modern era wouldnt get drafted today....Greg Williams.

You need to train specifically for your sport, DeFranco's gym exists for this sole purpose, get players to the NFL.

When you say "train" you mean weight right?

Well here you go, try this, strap a 10 kg plate to one of your blokes feet and tell him to mimic the kicking motion, tell him to practice for an hour each night for one month, then test his kicking for distance.

Markos: is it possible everyone could be wrong?
Don't talk to me about stkilda I knew the strength coach he was pulling his hair out.
Posted via Mobile Device

Well here you go, try this, strap a 10 kg plate to one of your blokes feet and tell him to mimic the kicking motion, tell him to practice for an hour each night for one month, then test his kicking for distance.

Were you being a smart ass Andy? I am hoping so.
Posted via Mobile Device

Actually, adding weight would slow his leg down, leg speed is critical in kicking.

Baseball scouts measure bat speed when scouting hitters lol.

Its why running in sand is more useful for Rugby players, it mimicks the action of being dragged down, but anything that alters your running action wont contribute to speed.

Could everyone be wrong. Absolutely.

If I had my way, every athlete would need to do 20 rep squats as an assesment. It shows me their minds capability as well lol

I would take an above average athlete with a strong hard working mindset over an elite weak minded athlete any day. Your test would probably be a good idea, weed out the slackers who are just genetically gifted.
Posted via Mobile Device

Adding weight to ones foot changes motor pattern, skill which would be a disaster.

Running in sand is time consuming, more efficiant ways of improving strength in the hip, squatting comes to mind.

Someone once said show me a team of players that can bench 200 and I'll show you a team of players that spend too much time in the gym.
Posted via Mobile Device

In the 60's?

Sport and lifting have moved apart since then Andy, unfortunately.

Its very different today. Back then we would have linesman run laps to warm up. How retarded is that.

We know better now when it comes to sport.

For lifting in your gym, squat, press, pull.

For lifting for your sport, thats a much bigger issue

I was fortunate enough to have 9 of the west coast eagles train at are gym this pre-season.

First of, after genral circuits, everyone of them had different agendas that needed attention (weak points), so badzie theres noway even with the wealth of knowedge from the guys here, can we specificly help you.

LIeston to markos , find a trainer or good gym and go seek help if your serious about your sport. Id suggest talking to your team coach??

Ultimatly if you want to get stronger to be better at afl, we've worked on EXPLOSIVE moves. With the way the game is changing stamina is key and strength thro your core is very important.

We worked on 1x20 squats ,deads and bench were 3x7, but with the feedback we had it were the tyre flip x5 in pairs (so a race) , side medicine ball throws and 40m sprints with 30kg sand bags ,that you had to throw as hard as you could at the end, that were most benefical.

Its all about balance , badzie ,and just a thought for you ,shannon hurn can squat 195kg (i saw it) that was 15kg above double body weight and hes also one of the longest kicks in the afl.

Thats not a coincidence

i enjoyed the read but i reckon the 1 useful thing said in this thread was go see a coach.

Last edited:
Are you lifting weights to be a better footballer, or are you lifting weights to get stronger?

Damn good question.

a smaller portion of your time (now) should be spent doing weights, since it's the competition season for GAY-FL, i mean AFL. Lifting to get stronger is one thing, lifting to get powerful is another thing.

he is just fatigued.

auto- regulation should be used. i think he may not be experienced enough, so a coach would work. but its a big effort unless he is very serious about afl.

short recommendation- i would cut volume in half and alternate deadlift and squat

Now's probably the time to work between 50-80% of you're 1RM. Keep the intensity low, volume moderate. This'll help you to stay, or become faster
Posted via Mobile Device

The Broncos know where its at - they smash out the westside method!

An ex-bronco trains here and he says its the best thing he has ever done, + the best strength and conditioning advice - and he has trained at a number of clubs here and overseas!

In Australia we are very backward in regards to sports strength and conditioning - The way we do it in Aus is we have a good young athlete, plays through his teen years, plays rep then finally signs with a club and then they teach him how to train and even then its not that crash hot - then ppl wonder why we arnt really top class when it comes to international sport.

We need to be developing athletes from a young age in regards to strength and conditioning...its alot easier to teach someone how to catch a ball than how to be strong.

I read this story about this American football player - he was an awesome athlete all through high school, through college - strong, fast, explosive - but he had butter fingers - he ended up going to the NFL draft and smashing everything - he was signed to a team for something like 4-5 Mil - I read it took them 2 years to teach him how to catch a ball the correct way - he totally destroys ppl now - now if it was the other way round he wouldn't of made the NFL - but in Aus if he could catch a ball really well but didn't have a huge strength base its fine - straight into 1st grade.

That story is an extreme - Iam not saying that should be the norm - but they need to put more focus into developing the strength and conditioning of young athletes in Aus - not just showing them how to do skill work.

Last edited:
Surely we must all agree the regardless of whether a proffesional is playing either basketball, football, tennis and such... Your basic; squat pull push is the corner stone to strength and power.

In my mind; a strenght coaches job is to design a template focused around biulding strength and power an element of strength and above all exercise that is safe and designed to minimize injury on the field.
It's the coach that developes/enhances skill and recruiting.

This is not an argument, just my thoughts.
It's the minimalist in me.
Posted via Mobile Device

The thing is once your at a level to have a strength and conditioning coach as part of the team...its to late for the athlete.

We don't even do weights in high school ....like come on!!!

I think the core things an athlete should be doing is: bench, squat, dead, over head press, row and box jumping or some sort of plyo movement - this should be done in school + from an early age when playing sport i.e 14-15.

Natural talent is only a small factor in todays sports.

Yes, it's certainly more structured in the US.

We seem to be so very behind and blinkered.
You cannot teach buddy Franklin to kick a goal at full stretch in the gym.
Posted via Mobile Device