• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
People still gonna use. I agree the testing in Russia or Ukraine is not as good as Australia, I have spoken to PA lifters about this.

Watcha gunna do? Why dont our top Juniors go overseas to compete at the Junior Worlds? I know they qualify? Whats that? Waste of time!

Markos I should be going to the junior worlds next year, but I will be borrowing money to get there :)

Yours is the example I'm talking about.

We had that chat, when we talked about testing and the totals the Russians were lifting, its almost a waste of time.

If you trained in a garage with a supportive owner, he would fund raise to get you there if you qualified lol

Will you still be a junior by the time we get the IPF Worlds in Oz?

For those that dont know, here are Simons best lifts at the Vics this year, Junior 82.5kg class

Squat 235kg
Bench 140kg
Dead 265kg
Total 640kg

Here are the WR in his class

Squat 355.5kg
Bench 255kg
Dead 347.5kg
Total 915kg

Simon is an exceptional lifetime drug free lifter, look at the difference.

These records are off the IPF website.

The only guys who can match 915kg in Oz are Adam Pinkard & Steve Pritchard, they are not juniors and weigh 125kg +

Holy **** thats a difference and a half...

Whats in the water?

I suppose it helps these kids have powerlifting in schools along side olympic lifting...

What did we have rugby basketball and ****ing lawn bowels?

Yours is the example I'm talking about.

We had that chat, when we talked about testing and the totals the Russians were lifting, its almost a waste of time.

I'm gonna get smashed, but I want to go anyway haha. For some reason they don't deadlift too good at worlds, so I can see a 300kg dead at 82, in 2013, getting me a medal in the deadlift at the junior worlds.

There tends to be between 1-3 freakish lifters totalling 850+ and then the next lifter may do 760 or so, what I see as a very achieveable total at 82.5. Depending on the year, 2nd to 4th place may be doable for me in a few years time.

If you trained in a garage with a supportive owner, he would fund raise to get you there if you qualified lol

lol :D

Will you still be a junior by the time we get the IPF Worlds in Oz?

Nope, Venues are allready selected for 2011 and 2012, with countries bidding for 2013 venues now, and I don't think we are currently bidding. 2013 is my last year of juniors.

I will qualify for open worlds this year anyway, so it doesn't matter.

For those that dont know, here are Simons best lifts at the Vics this year, Junior 82.5kg class

Squat 235kg
Bench 140kg
Dead 265kg
Total 640kg

Squat 355.5kg
Bench 255kg
Dead 347.5kg
Total 915kg

The only guys who can match 915kg in Oz are Adam Pinkard & Steve Pritchard, they are not juniors and weigh 125kg +

Yeah, except you got my lifts wrong :D

Squat, 247.5kg in nov 09
Bench 147.5kg in april 10
Dead 265kg in april 10
Total 655kg in nov 09

Those will all change in about a weeks time though :cool:

I stated what you lifted at the Vics this year Simon, read my post.

What are you aiming for at the Nats?

Ah yes, I missed the fact you got it on your second attempt.

Almost 700kg, damn, I hope they test you lol. Drink lots of water Simon, you'll be pissing in jars for weeks after lol

Good luck mate

Thanks Markos,

Haha, I'll most likely be tested on the night yes, especially if I win - at about 11pm, and chances are I'll be there well past midnight too...

I keep very well hydrated, especially on comp day - last years nats, I had to give 3 samples as I was too well hydrated, none of them met the requirement, but they gave up after the 3rd sample and said they'd get a test out of what they have, condense them or something lol! Got out of there at 12.30am, went to maccas and ate the house down lol

A doctor once asked me for a urine sample, stool sample, sperm sample and blood sample.

I said "phuk it, just take my jocks"

Squat 235kg
Bench 140kg
Dead 265kg
Total 640kg

Squat 355.5kg
Bench 255kg
Dead 347.5kg
Total 915kg

Chris Caltabiano @ 115.60, 910kgs

Chris is also a junior...

There's lots of reasons why the Eastern Europeans dominate and it's not just drugs. They have a ridiculous number of lifters, a long tradition in strength sports, the know-how with programming, and one of the most important factors - they are apparently masters in the use of equipment - no different to how the Japanese dominate the bench press.

It's easy to tell the Russians know how to best take advantage of equipment is that their squats often well exceed their deadlifts. They are getting carryover from squat suits that no Australians are getting. Then take into account the fact that they all sumo deadlift and get a lot out of their deadlift suits compared to Australians, and I wouldn't be surprised if their raw deadlifts are considerably ahead of our best deadlifters.

Some of the advantages they apparently have in this regard is a lot of money to play with to buy extra suits in custom sizes etc and lots of extra handlers & coaches to help them in training and competition.

Seeing you bought up a 125kg class junior in Chris, the IPF record is 1092.5kg, he is still nearly 200kg behind.

And Strong enough, I think your clutching at straws claiming the 270kg diff between Simon and them is based on knowledge of equipment.

The WPC Raw records are almost exclusively held by Russians as well, no equipment there.

This is a comment posted on Powerlifting Watch a couple of months ago. I dont know the poster, he's obviously a PA lifter. I also cant verify that what he says is true, but its very interesting none the less.

I find it Hillarious that Mr Wilks gets up on his soap box, hand on heart, and tells everyone how good we are at IPF because we are drug tested blah blah blah....i have been to 2 IPF world titles (Hungary & Ukraine) and i have had many conversations with top 3 lifters from russia, ukraine, poland, latvia, belarus, (and the list goes on) and every one of them laughs at us when i tell them about how we were tested on average every 3 months as elite lifters in OZ. They were not only not tested, but they would have mates do urine samples for them to hand over at the worlds if they were required to give samples at the worlds.In fact i saw with my own eyes a very prominent Ukrainian mafia figure tell the man collecting the urine samples to take the pre prepared sample and fark off (in ukrainian).These guys are not tested, and they are in fact systematically given top line gear by their officials in each respecctive country (thats right, they get it for free!)
What people tend to overlook in OZ is that these 3rd world countries do not have anywhere near the systems and procedure that australia has, they can not afford to implement them, and they dont want to.
So Mr wilks fantasy of a drug free IPF is all in his imagination.
In fact i would say 90% of the countries/lifters competing at the IPF worlds do not comply with ASDA testing standards, and would not be able to stay competetive if they lived in Australian.The only ones that do are easy to spot becasue they are nowhere near the top 3-4 lifters.
I totalled 795kg in the 100kg class (U23) and the guy that won the 67.5kg division out lifted me for farks sake!
Please explain how someone who is 67.5kg can total 830kg at 22yrs old???
Wake up Wilksy, your living a dream mate.

equipment is a factor, but of course not the sole factor.

One can draw one's own conclusions from the number of IPF Russian lifters that were banned after the IPF cracked down on Russia's testing (or lack thereof).

I have heard many stories of these European countries - either 1. not even testing (which is normally the case) or 2. doing the tests and either ignoring the out-come or its just someone else taking it.

Its such a frustrating thing to think about - and Iam not even against drug-use so I can't even think what its like for the guys competing with IPF who do have a problem with drug use.

At the end of the day ppl just have to know they will be competing against guys on gear - again for some guys this most be a very hard thing to deal with when you train your ass off for years on end, you know your clean and then you end up going to worlds and being beaten by someone who may or may not be using gear.

And you can't even really call them cheats because really in the European countries weight lifting/powerlifting and taking drugs go hand in hand - they know no different.

Think it just comes back to if you wanna know your competing against guys on gear compete in a non-tested fed....if your wanting to compete clean then compete with IPF but know that some ppl from other countries will 100% be using gear....and you have to be ready to either not compete at a world level or pretty much know you prob wont win at a world level.

Chris is also a junior...

There's lots of reasons why the Eastern Europeans dominate and it's not just drugs. They have a ridiculous number of lifters, a long tradition in strength sports, the know-how with programming, and one of the most important factors - they are apparently masters in the use of equipment - no different to how the Japanese dominate the bench press.

It's easy to tell the Russians know how to best take advantage of equipment is that their squats often well exceed their deadlifts. They are getting carryover from squat suits that no Australians are getting. Then take into account the fact that they all sumo deadlift and get a lot out of their deadlift suits compared to Australians, and I wouldn't be surprised if their raw deadlifts are considerably ahead of our best deadlifters.

Some of the advantages they apparently have in this regard is a lot of money to play with to buy extra suits in custom sizes etc and lots of extra handlers & coaches to help them in training and competition.

I have to totally agree with this post.

The European countries are miles ahead of use in regards to programming and using equipment - I would even go as far to say that there athletes are alot more driven to become the best in the world because strength training is put so high within these countries that if they do win world events they do make a name for themself....in Australia its like "Iam going to the powerlifting worlds"........."Whats powerlifting" lol

I can never seen us or any other countries really touching the Europeans.

A bit of history;

Prior to ww2 bob hoffmans boys dominated, it wasn't until after the iron curtain came down when things changed dramatically for sport.
In the early 50's Hoffman took his group over to the then ussr and couldn't believe his eyes, they got thrashed.
He bought the steroids back and started experimenting, bill pearl use to travel the world showing his strongman act, it was he who worded Hoffman he didn't fully comprehend what he was in for.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited:
The other thing is that the Russians have a lot more lifters.
Most of us here in Australia either coach ourselves or have an amateur coach.
The russians all have a dedicated coach, and there are so many lifters that if one can't keep up with the training required, or get popped on a drug test there are plenty waiting to take his place. I'd say for the Russians winning their nationals is considered harder than worlds.

And the 270kg difference between Simon and the world record holder isn't just equipment or drugs, it's that Simon is just not a world class lifter.
The 82.5kg U23 world records are held by 4 different lifters, one of whom is Ed Coan.

Last edited by a moderator: