• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

How long do you train for in the gym?

Well to be honest working full time, having a wife and two kids precludes me from following any routines that would take two hours a day to complete, just would not have the time to do it no matter how much I wanted to.

And not sure the benefits would be worth the sacrifice for me at my stage in life.

I work a minimum of 60 hours a week usually 70 and I go 3 hours a day. Not that u have to go for that length of time but if it's important enough you can usually find the time to do it....

I'd have no idea including warm up sets but I'm looking to make some decent gains come comp time in a few weeks running Smolov base cycle which is 408 working sets in 3 weeks.

Bench: I can only do db bench and because of shoulder nothing heavier than a 8rm. 2x a week. About 220 reps per month.

No heavy deadlifts during smolov. Maybe some SLDL's here & there and some lighter stuff to grease the groove.

Again, I'm not strong but that's me :)

One suggestion, do smolov ONLY. Thats what I did, all my lifts went up.

One of the reasons I dont wrap is because of the time factor.

um 1hr up to 1:45, not including dynamic warm up. best gym total was 500

I have been working on upping my work capacity so my rests are about a 1min for most exercisers. I try and limit my 5min rest periods.

x2 to Haz

(2 lower days, 2 upper days and 0-2 "recovery days" though my upper day atm is purely rehabilitation.)

Last edited:
I work a minimum of 60 hours a week usually 70 and I go 3 hours a day. Not that u have to go for that length of time but if it's important enough you can usually find the time to do it....

How old are you??? Do you live at home or by yourself?? How many kids do you have to help with homework, bathe and feed and clean up after???
Personal questions I know, but I remember when I was working living at home with mum doing my cooking and cleaning I had plenty of time to train and work.

I start work at 6am and finnish at 5pm, plus I travel 30-40 minutes to and from. Generally I leave home at 5:20am (get up at 5:00) so before work training is unlikely to happen, usually I walk in the front door at 5:45 - 6:00pm traffic depending, not sure where I will find two hours to train, as I still have to shower, eat, help kids with homework (which I usually do between sets as I train at home), and have some family time.

So it's not really an excuse its just a fact that there are only 24 hours in a day.

Will be changing jobs soon, and locations (moving house) so things may change.

PS I do not watch TV either.

Last edited:
Forgot about wraps. That is exactly why I gave up on wraps, it was starting to get close to an hour just to get up to top sets. I can't be bothered with that.

At the moment doing beltless oly squats and they cut down the time needed to get through a squat session.

I compete in wraps so I train in them too. Not all of my warm up sets are wrapped though.

My knees feel a lot better using wraps as well.

Get yourself a wrap roller and become more proficient in wrapping. Problem solved

I remember the first time I attempted to put on my squat briefs I spent probably 30 minutes and failed, second time 30 mins and finally got there.
Last time it was about 3 minutes

525 kg

Usually about 1.5-2 hours, three or four days a week. Usually go every second day. At the moment I'm doing 6 working sets for the main lifts, plus a few warm-ups.

Last edited:
Approx 1 hour, 3 days per week, in reality that probably ends up being more like 1 hour 2.5 days per week on average.

Have not tested 1RMs recently, however a conservative estimate would be 140/75/160 = 380

I haven't done 1RM squat and BP in a while, but using my most recent singles of each, my total is 342.5kg. I currently train 60-90min per session, 3 days a week.

Total: 432.5kg

Sessions: Anywhere from 45 mins - 2 hours. Usually 60-90 mins.
Workouts: Cycle 2 days on, 1 off, 2 days on, 1 off and repeat.

Total: 650

When I was in one piece I usually lifted for 2-3hrs a day 6 days a week. However I am renowned for taking extra long rest breaks between sets and also spend a lot of time coaching my other lifters. Having said that, even on a good day a sheiko session can take 2-3hrs, especially with a 20 set bench pyramid.

So as expected, those with higher totals train for longer per session. So is this solely because of the additional warmup, rest between sets & mobility work required or have these people with high totals always trained for this amount of time and this is the reason why they have high totals?

Sticky? Bazza? Any other strong people (who haven't posted their totals :p)?

Naparm went 665 at 82.... I think his workouts as big shorter than mine, hopefully he will chime in.

When I was totaling mid 400's I'd train for around 1.5 hours, doing lots of things that others would not such as 10 ton UDL sets that would leave you shattered for weeks.
Everytime I get on a massage table, the first thing I hear is "holy erectors!". IMO my erectors are so thick now because of my silly UDL sessions. It's played massive dividends long term as my back is now by far my strongest link. I just wish indie something similar for legs.

Once I got over 600 the sessions Started to creep over 2 hours with ease, depending on programming, 3 hours.

Here is a log entry from one of my lifters, this was his session last night.

1 August 2012

Deadlift

Warm up - 70 x 5, 120 x 5

160kg, 1 x 4 reps
190kg, 2 x 4 reps
225kg, 2 x 3 reps
255kg, 2 x 3 reps
270kg, 4 x 2 reps

Bench

Warm up - 20 x 10, 20 x 10, 60 x 10

105kg, 1 x 8 reps
115kg, 1 x 7 reps
125kg, 1 x 6 reps
135kg, 1 x 5 reps
145kg, 1 x 4 reps
155kg, 2 x 3 reps
165kg, 2 x 2 reps
175kg, 3 x 1 reps
165kg, 2 x 2 reps
155kg, 1 x 3 reps
145kg, 1 x 4 reps
135kg, 1 x 6 reps
125kg, 1 x 8 reps
115kg, 1 x 10 reps
105kg, 1 x 12 reps

DB Flyes

25kg, 5 x 10 reps

Deadlift from Blocks (+180mm, lifting straps)

190kg, 1 x 5 reps
225kg, 1 x 4 reps
255kg, 2 x 3 reps
290kg, 2 x 3 reps
320kg, 2 x 2 reps
320kg, 1 x 1 rep

320kg was meant to be 3 x 2 reps (missed last rep)

Abs - GHR - 4 x 10 reps

Stretching, pvc roll, hockey ball

Comments - came into this feeling really good. Reduced rest times found this session to be completed 1hr shorter than in the first block 4 weeks ago (4hrs to 3hrs)

That's a sheiko #40 session, a more advanced program.
I couldn't do this training because
1- it would take 3 hours, id add in more acc work.
2- I don't respond well to low % work loads.

My sessions take 2-3 hours, but I do few more exercises than the lifter above.
Now if your work sets on deads are 250kg, obviously it's going to take you longer to warm up, and the rest periods are going to be longer.
On my last deadlift session I had 5 triples at 252.5kg from a deficit. The rest periods were about 7-10mins between sets....... There is an hour alone in that.

IMO training times (total per week) reflect 2 things to me.
1- training volume.
2- how much a lifter wants to progress.

I don't think 1 lifter that trains in my gym spends less than 90mins in there, including my novices at total 300-400.
If they get their programs done quick, they come straight over and ask what extra work they can do to fix a weakness or build a strength, then do it, even if it's UDL's or a prowler session.

Last night our 20th member pulled 200kg. For a gym with around 30 male lifters, that's pretty good.

If your training for less than 60mins, and wondering why there are 65kg Girls lifting more, maybe reasses your training approach.....

Last edited:
I agree jzpowahz, the whole thread is interesting. Especially for those looking at purely getting stronger. One day I'll even figure out how to make some of the knowledge relevant to me!