• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

How long do you train for in the gym?

Well to be honest working full time, having a wife and two kids precludes me from following any routines that would take two hours a day to complete, just would not have the time to do it no matter how much I wanted to.

And not sure the benefits would be worth the sacrifice for me at my stage in life.

There are plenty of people who have full time work, family obligations etc. All about priorities at the end of the day, same as anything else.

Well to be honest working full time, having a wife and two kids precludes me from following any routines that would take two hours a day to complete, just would not have the time to do it no matter how much I wanted to.

And not sure the benefits would be worth the sacrifice for me at my stage in life.

(Whip cracking noise.) :) j/k

lol @ ppl not reading the op and not posting their totals...

i would post my total but its only estimated, 5/3/1 lol

^^^^This could get very good indeed.....^^^^
cedb5699_Popcorn.gif

Waits for shit to kick off.

It is tough, im in the same boat mate...
hence the 5am sessions, so they are all still in bed and i head to work from there....

That's fine. As long as you're honest with your justification for not training 2h a day instead of thinking that it would be impossibru
I work full time and manage a short session before work and a medium session after work

Well I don't just train for strength, I train for fitness & physique & strength, so my focus is not on lifting as much heavy shit as I can.

My total at the moment is around 210 for the three compound lifts, but I can go heavier on all 3.

I'm concentrating on building LBM & stimulating mucle growth through generally 8 – 12 reps or sometimes 12 or more for muscular endurance, balanced against a sub-maximal load, because it facilitates mainly sarcoplasmic hypertrophy, rather than training to just lift the heaviest shit I can.

I don't yet know what my max's are & the numbers themselves don't really matter to me, as long as I'm progressing & still able to sustain the rep range to facilitate my own goals, I'm happy :)

This was a thread about 'how long do you workout in the gym for' not how much heavy shit do you lift?

Or was it directed solely at Powerlifters?

There are plenty of people on the forum who aren't PL'ers or training for strength who do a combination of weight & stength training that includes the compound lifts, amongst many other things...

Bella,

look at the section it was posted in lol.

"Strength training typically produces a combination of the two different types of hypertrophy: contraction against 80 to 90% of the one repetition maximum for 2–6 repetitions (reps) causes myofibrillated hypertrophy to dominate (as in powerlifters, olympic lifters and strength athletes), while several repetitions (generally 8 – 12 for bodybuilding or 12 or more for muscular endurance) against a sub-maximal load facilitates mainly sarcoplasmic hypertrophy (professional bodybuilders and endurance athletes).[citation needed]" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscle_hypertrophy

Where you control v'd the "facilitates mainly ect ect." Did you read the first part? Hit both repition ranges.

Last edited:
I'm well aware its in the strength section & I'm also training for stength, but thats not ALL I'm training for?

Back on track...

Total 635kg, time spent depends on the session... Bench sessions I can get done in < 2 hours, but last night I added in a heap of assistance work that I normally do on other days. Squats normally 2-3 hours, and on Saturday 3+ hours since I combine bench and deadlift sessions.

When you start doing wrapped squats the length of time for a session increases dramatically. It takes me almost an hour to get to my actual top working sets!

Bella, if you took the time to read the OP rather than just seeing an opportunity to post something you will find I asked for 2 simple bits of info.

What your total is, how long you spend in the gym.

So as expected, those with higher totals train for longer per session. So is this solely because of the additional warmup, rest between sets & mobility work required or have these people with high totals always trained for this amount of time and this is the reason why they have high totals?

Sticky? Bazza? Any other strong people (who haven't posted their totals :p)?

Back on track...

Total 635kg, time spent depends on the session... Bench sessions I can get done in < 2 hours, but last night I added in a heap of assistance work that I normally do on other days. Squats normally 2-3 hours, and on Saturday 3+ hours since I combine bench and deadlift sessions.

When you start doing wrapped squats the length of time for a session increases dramatically. It takes me almost an hour to get to my actual top working sets!

Forgot about wraps. That is exactly why I gave up on wraps, it was starting to get close to an hour just to get up to top sets. I can't be bothered with that.

At the moment doing beltless oly squats and they cut down the time needed to get through a squat session.

Piss weak total. :( or rather a piss weak squat.
422kg
Hopefully this will be bigger come comp day.
Train 1.5-2hrs 4 times a week.

Feeling seriously weak now, having read through this thread. :(

Nah, it's OK. I already knew that I'm a newbie. :p

365 (but that's 5 or more RMs, I guess, because I never do single reps), and usually about 1.5 - 2 hours, three times a week.

I would like to see how people's volume differs
I find that for me to make decent strength gains I'm having to increase my total volume exponentially until I can't handle any more volume before halving my volume and working back up again... Would like to see how other people deal with volume

This last month I did a total of 387 squat reps, 616 bench reps and 217 deadlift reps (including all warm-ups)